looking to replace and install new torque converter 66 mustang 6 cylinder with console
After place the vehicle on jack stands as high as "safely" possible.
1. Place a bottle jack or such beneath the rear of the oil pan. It's good practice to place a square section of plywood between the jack and the oil pan. This jack will be handy later , as you may have to adjust the angle of the engine relative to the tranny when re-assembling.
2. disconnect and mark any wiring, linkage, vac lines etc.
2. Remove the inspection plate.
3. Before removing the shifter linkage, place the trans
in neutral, so as to facilitate, rotating the flexplate with the TC attached and access to the 4-5 nuts holding the TC to the flexplate. Rmv the nuts attaching the TC to the flexplate.
4. Pull drive-shaft
5. Remove tranny to engine bolts
6. Place a jack beneath the tranny so as just to take the weight, then, gently slide it a way from the TC.
7. Pull the TC off the tranny input shaft.
8. Be aware there is a lot of fluid in the TC so, pull it off the tranny and flip upwards. to keep from spilling the fluid.
9. Going back in, fill the T/C with the req'd ozs. of fluid.
10. THIS IS THE TRICKIE PART>>>>>>>
11. Sliding the TC onto the input shaft there are "TWO" steps in the splines, insure the TC is installed through both steps.
You will know if it is not installed correctly, when you re-install the tranny with the converter and the tranny "does not" mate completely with the engine.
There may be a few details, I've missed, but, I think I mentioned the major steps.
Play safe and have a helper.