Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Classic Mustang > Classic Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Classic Mustangs Tech Forum

Technical discussions specific to 1964-1967, 1968-1970, and 1971-1973 Classic Mustang. Discuss all tech related to in-line six cylinder and V8 powered Vintage Mustangs here.

Classic Forums | Classic Talk | Classic Tech | Classic Pictures | Introductions | Mustang Tech | Mustang Lounge 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 01-31-2007   #1 (permalink)
SCHOONER is offline Apprentice

Classic Member

SCHOONER's Country Flag
Henderson   Nevada
SCHOONER is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 1966 Mustang 289 Engine Rear Main Seals. How to Install?

Hi Guys

I have a 1966 Ford Mustang 289 engine.
Need to known which way >>> does the rear main seals ( i have 2pcs.)
which way does the seal face ?

My seals are in two-halves. When you put 'em together and look on the inside of the seal is beveled. A high side and a low side.

Other than that guys I just don't know which way they are install on the rear of the crankshaft?

WHICH IS THE RIGHT WAY PLEASE ?
HIGH SIDE facing the engine ? with the LOW side facing the engine?
HIGH SIDE facing the tranny ? with the LOW side facing the tranny?

Thank You
GOD BLESS YOU ALL

Schooner
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2007   #2 (permalink)
94' cobra 351 is offline Apprentice

5.0L Member

94' cobra 351's Country Flag
Chicago   Illinois
94' cobra 351 is on a distinguished road

i just replaced my rear mains last weekend, but my brother in law was the one who actually put them in so i couldn't tell ya but if you ask a local autozone or napa, they should know
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 02-01-2007   #3 (permalink)
The Greek is offline Senior Member

Classic Member
5.0L Member

The Greek's Country Flag
Jacksonville   Florida
The Greek is on a distinguished road

The high side should face the engine. Make sure you remove the pin that is sticking up in the groove on the main cap, if it hasn't already been removed. The sharp pin was used to hold the old rope seal that they used to use before the two piece seal came into use. When you install the new seal offset the seal so that about 3/8in. is sticking up on one side, this offset helps prevent oil leakage at the parting lines between the block and main cap. Don't forget to use ,sparingly, some RTV sealant at the parting lines between the cap and block. All the best,----Chuck
Unread 02-08-2007   #4 (permalink)

Classic Member

SCHOONER's Country Flag
Henderson   Nevada

Hey Guy

Thanks for the tip on asking my local auto shops.

Schooner
Unread 02-08-2007   #5 (permalink)

Classic Member

SCHOONER's Country Flag
Henderson   Nevada

Hi Greek

I'm still a little bit CONFUSED !
I don't know what pin your talking about?
HERE IS WHAT MY REAR MAIN SEAL LOOKS LIKE;

Its in two pieces.
Harden black plastic (no steel ring around the plastic, just hard plastic)

GREEK ~ Are we talking about the same seal?
This is the Rear Main Seal. The one that if not installed properly you get oil all over the driveway. That's if your grateful to have a driveway like I am.

Back to the SEAL: My Rear Main Seal has a CHAMFER on the INSIDE OF THE RING. However, this CHAMFER IS BEVELED like a 45degree angle I would say. like this:

\ low side being the right side of the angle.
That's what the inside of the seal looks like. Low side and high side.
The high side is the top of the angle, looking at it horozonally. (spellin' ?)

I hope I'm explaining it right?
Hope you got my explaination?
This damn thing is driving my NUTS!

NOW THEE QUESTION PLEASE:
Which way does the Bevel on the INSIDE of the ring face as it is on the Crankshalf?

Is the LOW SIDE FACING TOWARDS THE ENGINE or TOWARD THE TRANSMISSION ? PHEW ! DONE !

O.K. GREEK, I'M IN YOUR HANDS you also guys.

GOD bless all you guys for putting-up with ol' man who's just trying to learn from the pro's like yourselves.

Schooner
Unread 02-09-2007   #6 (permalink)

Classic Member
5.0L Member

The Greek's Country Flag
Jacksonville   Florida

Schooner, here goes, the beveled side (low side) faces the transmission and the high side, which has a recessed area directly under it goes toward the engine. If your engine was originally equipped with a rope seal there will be a sharp pin centered in the seal groove in the rear-main cap-it'll have to come out. To remove the pin use a small punch to drive it out. If you have already installed a bearing in the cap remove it so it won't get damaged and reinstall it after you have the seal in place. To remove the pin, place the cap down over the end of a 1-in.-wide piece of wood-so when you are driving the pin down out of the seal groove , the load taken by the cap is directly below the pin. Otherwise, the cap can be sprung, making it unsuitable for use.
With the roap-seal locating pin out of the main cap fill the pin hole with silicone sealer, install the seal and install the bearing insert. Lightly coat the seal halves with oil, and while installing them don't let the oil get on the block and cap mating surfaces. If it does wipe it off with a clean rag and solvent. The lip of the seal must point toward the front of the engine when installed. Also rotate the seal halves in the block and cap so one end projects approx. 3/8 in. up from the block and cap mating surfaces,and so the seal will fit together within the block and cap when the cap is fitted to the block. Hope this helps,---Chuck
Unread 02-11-2007   #7 (permalink)

Classic Member

SCHOONER's Country Flag
Henderson   Nevada

Hey Greek (Chuck)

I finally got it ~ thanks for all your patience Chuck I really appreciated all the time you spent with this ol' man.

The reason why this site works so well, its becasue of GUYS LIKE YOU CHUCK.

THANKS AGAIN
GOD BLESS

Schooner
Unread 02-25-2007   #8 (permalink)

Classic Member

SCHOONER's Country Flag
Henderson   Nevada

Hi Greek

I finally got it thanks to you.

Here's another situation concerning that: REAR MAIN SEAL PLACEMENT.

I was told that; YOU DON'T PLACE ONE HALF OF YOUR REAR MAIN SEAL ( that's if you have a seal that comes in two pieces like I do )
'SQUARELY' IN THE GROOVE. YOU ' TILT ' THE SEAL SO THAT THE ENDS ARE NOT EVEN WITH THE ENGINE BLOCK AND THE HEAD.

Greek, is that true or is that a better way to installing the rear main seal ? ? ?

Thanks guy
GOD BLESS

Schooner
Unread 02-26-2007   #9 (permalink)

Classic Member
5.0L Member

The Greek's Country Flag
Jacksonville   Florida

Schooner, if you read the last sentence in my last post to you, It says to offset the seal about 3/8 inch. this is what they mean by "tilting" the seal. In other words you will have one end of the seal sticking up from the groove 3/8 in. while the other end of the half will be down inside the groove 3/8 in.. The same thing with the other half of the seal. This just helps keep the seal from leaking at the point where the main cap meets the eng. block surface. Hope this gets matters clearer to you. All the best,----Chuck
Unread 02-27-2007   #10 (permalink)

Classic Member

SCHOONER's Country Flag
Henderson   Nevada
Default Sorry About That Greek

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Greek View Post
Schooner, if you read the last sentence in my last post to you, It says to offset the seal about 3/8 inch. this is what they mean by "tilting" the seal. In other words you will have one end of the seal sticking up from the groove 3/8 in. while the other end of the half will be down inside the groove 3/8 in.. The same thing with the other half of the seal. This just helps keep the seal from leaking at the point where the main cap meets the eng. block surface. Hope this gets matters clearer to you. All the best,----Chuck

Hey Greek

Just as I posted you ~ I suddenly read the last part of your posting about 3/8's tilt. Sorry about this, Ol' guy like me sin't as fast as he use to B . . . lol

Thanks again for ALL YOU HELP.
GOD BLESS

Schooner
Unread 03-01-2007   #11 (permalink)

Classic Member
5.0L Member

The Greek's Country Flag
Jacksonville   Florida

Schooner, no need for apologizing I'm no spring chicken either. It seems that I spend half of my time looking for things I put up for safe keeping only to find out I have hidden them from myself. I don't understand why I can remember something from thirty years ago but can't tell you what I did last week. Call it oldtimer's disease? Take care,---Chuck
Unread 03-11-2012   #12 (permalink)
4spdstick is offline Rookie

4spdstick's Country Flag
santa monica   California
4spdstick is on a distinguished road
Default jim

hi guys, i was reading this about the rear main seal, and i have another question: has anybody ever had to cut the ends of the seal halves? mine stick up about a quarter inch on both sides so i cut them off flush with a hacksaw and file. now i see i should uninstall, remove the pin offset, (rotate) and reinstall, correct?
thanks for any help.
Unread 08-23-2014   #13 (permalink)
pacecar94 is offline Rookie

pacecar94's Country Flag
Frankfort   Alabama
pacecar94 is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear the info on removing the pin for the rope seal. I put the seal in the cap yesterday and didn't remove the pin. I will do that Monday before torqueing the caps. Also a good idea on offsetting the split 3/8 inch. 73 yrs old and learning every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172