Ford Mustang Forum banner

5.0 Swap Water Pump/Pulley Question

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mccance 
#1 ·
I acquired a complete 5.0 EFI setup to swap into a '67/'68. I've already finished all of the electrical modifications and now I'm ready to start on the engine modifications. I have one question that need some clarification on.

For the dipstick relocation, I know you need to drill out the stock timing cover to relocate it to the front.

Another option I read was to use a classic 289/302 timing cover, which already has the hole for the dipstick. But also read that if I did that I'd have to use a classic 289/302 water pump. Which also if I did that, would not be able to use the stock 5.0 pulleys.

Is this correct?

#2 ·
You should be able to use the factory location of the dipstick, unless headers or something are in the way. I believe you can use the classic water pump and run the pulleys from the new 5.0. Only thing that may be different is the bolt pattern for the water pump pulley, since the classic 289/302 ran a V belt system, and the newer 5.0 ran a serpentine system. But I'm not for sure.

#5 ·
the reason you can't use the stock 5.0 location ( I think that is what you are saying) is because you have to swap the oil pan to a front sump pan so the dipstick has to go in the front.

#3 · (Edited)
You need to be careful, as all the classics run the forward direction, (clockwise looking at the water pump from the front of the car), a serpentine belt drive can be either direction, depending on the pump and the way the belt is routed, my 87 cougar 5.0 is a reverse direction for example. In addition the old water pumps are american thread, the newer 5.0 are metric. Good Luck.

#4 ·
I am using this waterpump on my daughters 67. Ford Racing #M-8501-C50 (1986-93 Mustang) . the engine is a 5.0 out of an 89 mustang. I am using an early style timing cover. initially with a mechanical fuel pump. I am now retrofitting an msd efi system. anyway I am using the march serpentine kit on mine, but this part number specifies it is for the 86-93 mustang so I can see no reason the stock pulleys would not fit.

#6 ·
im not trying to jack this thread, but im doing the same deal, putting a full roller engine in a car and im stuck on the front timing cover/water pump issue. the set up in the car has the bellhousing for the smaller flywheel, so in turn the heavier harmonic ballancer is required. because of this, and with going with a rebuildable ballancer, i had to use an 8 through 88ish timing cover with the timing marks and tab on the passenger side of the engine. standard oldschool water pumps have an inlet on the passenger side, so this doesnt work for seeing timing marks. i need one with an inlet from the drivers side that is a standard style flow where i can run a normal v-belt.

does anyone know the years of when the pullies required the switch to reverse flow? it would even be more help if someone knew the years of the standard flow pumps with driver side inlet.

not meaning to jack this post, but i feel its relevant to the conversation.

#7 ·
im not trying to jack this thread, but im doing the same deal, putting a full roller engine in a car and im stuck on the front timing cover/water pump issue. the set up in the car has the bellhousing for the smaller flywheel, so in turn the heavier harmonic ballancer is required. because of this, and with going with a rebuildable ballancer, i had to use an 8 through 88ish timing cover with the timing marks and tab on the passenger side of the engine. standard oldschool water pumps have an inlet on the passenger side, so this doesnt work for seeing timing marks. i need one with an inlet from the drivers side that is a standard style flow where i can run a normal v-belt.

does anyone know the years of when the pullies required the switch to reverse flow? it would even be more help if someone knew the years of the standard flow pumps with driver side inlet.

not meaning to jack this post, but i feel its relevant to the conversation.

first of all you probably know this but your post leaves somewhat of a question so I want to clarify. the balancer and the flywheel have to match the rotating assembly in the engine. a late model 5.0 full roller engine must have a 50 oz balancer and flywheel unless the rotating assembly has been rebalanced by a machine shop.

as far as the waterpump question I don't know all the years but I do know that a 1970 mustang 302 waterpump is set up for standard rotation and v-belt use and has the inlet on the drivers side. they are about 50 bucks at oreilly.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...8178_301&keyword=waterpump&pt=01398&ppt=C0331

#8 ·
saweeeet. that is the exact info that i needed. i wonder if certain cars have driver side inlets based on the radiators.

thats my deal with this build. everything is modern, including the ballancer due to the smaller flywheel, but i needed a driver side inlet that doesnt have reverse flow. seems kind of hard to find from my experience. thanks for some direction.

#9 ·
when I first got my car back in the 80's I had a problem with it overheating. back then there weren't many options and of course I had no money so we found a big truck radiator at the local salvage yard and had to figure a way to make it work. that was when I found that while up to 69 the 302 had a passenger inlet, but the 70 was on the drivers side so it worked to swap in that truck radiator. I don't know much about the cars between 70 and 88 so maybe more of them are that way. anyway good luck with your project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.