Ford Mustang Forum banner

My girl sat her butt for 15 years, but now I want her to run good...

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Ravencross 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Six months ago, I bought a 67 289 2v autolite coupe with a C4. I love it. However, it did sit on a lawn chair for more than 15 years without really running...
After all the hard work on the body, now I'm tackling the mechanical aspect and have come up with two problems
1. The car is hard to start, requiring 5-6 GOOD pedal pumps and some cranking to start. Also, after it starts, when we give it gas, it stalls or bucks and burps. It idles very fine though.
2. Although our test drive was in my neighborhood streets and we did not go over 20mph, the car does not seem to shift into second gear.

My obvious questions are: how to troubleshoot these problems.
a. We already verified that the accelerator arm does move and does inject ''some'' gas when we push on the accelerator pedal. However, does it inject ''enough''? Is the accelerator arm on these things adjustable? Could the float bowl be the culprit?
b. I checked the transmission oil level with the engine running. It was very full. Slightly past the ''full'' line. Could the vacuum modulator be the culprit?

I am sort of a newbie at this stuff, but I love to learn and am already hooked at finding the troubles and resolving them. But I admit for these two problems, I'd like the insight of experienced people...

Oh, as a final question. If it comes to replacing the autolite 2v carb, should I go for a 4v, higher CFM unit? I will be replacing the heads, intake, cam and exhaust this winter, but would like to have a clean running car this summer... Can a stock 289 run fine with a 500CFM 4-barrel carb (for example)?

Thanks guys...

Pete

See less See more
#2 ·
My first thought is, what fluids did you change before you worked on the car? If it sat up for 15 years the fuel system is a mess. Are you pumping clean gas? The trans is most likely gummed up in the mod valve, valve body, and bands. Might try a Lucas Oil additive with new fluid. The oil and filter should have been changed before you even cranked it. Water should have been flushed.

The 2V is plenty for now. Get the engine running OK before anything new is bolted on.

The accelerator pump on the front of the carb may be shot. Disconnect the link and remove the 4 screws. One of the easiest repairs on the car. Most parts stores have new ones. Look in the 'Help' section.

Once the engine is running OK, next drive start with the trans in 1st and manually shift into 2nd, then 3rd. A C4 can shift very quickly and you may not be feeling it shift.

#3 ·
Hello Ravencross,
I seem to be echoing Driveway tonight - BUT he has
solid advice

One of the most important questions is the age of the gas.
Keep in mind even if you flushed the system - -there will be crude
in the system.
At this point I would install a clear filter between the fuel pump and carb.

I would not worry about the shifting just yet. You are correct that the modulator helps shifting but this works on vacuum.
If you motor is not running correct the vac will be low.
Just so you know - when a modulator does go - -it often leaks
trani fluid

I too would suggest trying to get the old girl running pretty good before i started an intake swap. We are NOT trying to rain on your thoughts but offering advice based on experience

Let us know - -about the age of the gas - -and oh yeah - - have you added something like "sea-foam treatment" to the gas? I would do that and I would also run a tank or two of high test

Let us know- Print Dad

#4 ·
#5 ·
After sitting for 15 years it will probably take a little daily exercise for your girlfriend to run good. Start her out slow or she may collapse from a heart attack.

I couldn't resist your thread title. :)

If its your car you want to run good then listen to the guys above.

#6 ·
Hi guys and thanks for the input...!

Retired Boomer: I ordered the carb repair kit, which includes a new accelerator pump and valve. That sounds like it might solve some of the problems.
Ivy: thanks for the comment! Will try not to send my loveable granny out for a marathon just yet... If she can just help me get to the corner store I will give her a nice night's rest afterwards, rest assured ;-)
Print Dad and Driveway: very sound advice, exactly what I needed! I will definitely add some good gas to the tank and change the fuel filter and hope it helps. I am pretty sure the old owner DID run the car's engine once in a while to keep it from seizing up, but I do know that it didnt run on the street for more than 15 years, so perhaps he started it once per month or every two months just to keep her on the respirator...

I will do the carb thing (and take a ton of pics during dissassembly to ensure I assemble the thing ok afterwards) and come back here to let you know how it went.

If you have quick hints or sound advice on a carb repair like I'm about to do (although I will carefully watch the videos and read the articles, Retired Boomer), fire away!

Thanks guys, most appreciated.

Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.