Ford Mustang Forum banner

Suspension Heights

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Ivy66GT 
#1 ·
From what I've read, the 1965 GT springs are stiffer, but do they raise the ride height any?

I currently have 195/70-14 wheels/tires on the car. My suspension looks somewhat original, the front shocks are blown and a previous owner jammed all sorts rubber chunks and has like these spring spreaders to keep the car up on the front. The rear has some torsion bar or something with a bump stop on it to keep it from bottoming out. It's all fully sagged all around.
I bought some 215/65-15 wheels/tires as that was a recommended size and the problem now is they will not clear the front fender.
I am in the process of fitting new coil springs and shocks in the front and leaf springs and shocks in the back. Will I still have this issue?

I don't know what springs I currently have but I'm sure anything is better. I have bought GT coil springs and I believe 4 leaf leaf springs for the back.

Am I on the right track with these springs and associated hardware?

#2 ·
If your new tires hit the fenders now, they will still hit under the right conditions with stiffer springs. There are a few mfg’s that make “GT” springs but not all of them use the same spring rate. The front ride height is easier to set if you use lowering springs but it can be set if you long springs if they are heavier than stock springs. They are just harder to remove and install and you might need to cut them more than once. You won’t know how high the rear will sit until you get the springs on but its best to put the rear axle on jack stands and then tighten the rear spring bolts. it also depends on how stiff you want the ride and if you want it to corner better etc.

#3 ·
I feel like something else is off on the front. I should have taken a picture of it. When the wheel was on the drivers side the wheel would hit and not allow me to turn the wheel left. Was fine turning right.

What I noticed was the wheel sat too far forward and was not center in the wheel well. Thus bringing the wheel closer to the front edge

#4 ·
. ok, good description. Sounds like it needs alignment. I would also measure the length of the strut rod from its front mounting bolt in the lower suspension arm to the front frame bracket the bushings mount in. this distance should be exactly the same on both sides. Also look at the strut rod bushings to see if they look the same from one side to the other.

#6 ·
I have GT springs on my 65 with the Arning drop. One inch lowering of the upper control arm. Gazer Nolan Mustang Barn sells GT springs. I bought the rear leafs from them and the fronts from Promotorsports. It sounds like you might have to rebuild the front suspension too. My car had the left front tire rubbing before I rebuilt the front suspension. Do a search for the Arning drop. A cheap upgrade by drilling four holes. With new suspension , the Arning drop and a inch anti roll bar! you will be amazed how well your car will handle.

#7 ·
See this? Now these are my old wheels and tires. The newer wheels are 4" greater in diameter so it greatly exaggerates this forward caster.

Both sides exhibit this similar look, forgot to measure it. The strut rods and bushings look fine. Is there another way to adjust it? Do they make adjustable strut rods? or do I have a different problem?
At first I thought maybe the car was bent from a front end accident or something but looks good. Looks like the original fenders and stuff other than the crappy yellow paint. The inner fender liner has the correct VIN on it.

#9 ·
Sorry, at the time I only got one side completed to put the new wheel on.

the new tires are 215/65-15 and the olds are 195/70-14

I will measure the strut rods tomorrow. From what points do I measure? The tip to tip? Can it be done without removing them?

Both wheels seem to have too much forward caster at approximately the same distance

#10 ·
ok, its hard for me to tell but it looks like your tires are around 3/4 - 1 inch too far forward. also, 215 x 65 - 15 is pretty tall and if your wheels are set too far to the outside you will likely have problems.

my guess at this point is that the strut rod needs to be adjusted to move the wheel rearward and the upper arm needs to have shims added to the front or removed from the rear to move it rearward also then it needs to be aligned.

yes they do make adjustable strut rods for 65 - 66.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.