Ford Mustang Forum banner

Picked up a 4 speed toploader!

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  gfleming 
#1 ·
Hey guys, been a while since my last post, but long story short, my "built" 302 and ratchet shifter pootched my c4. Hard shifts and some decent acceleration on the stock tranny did it in. Now she slips in and out of gear. So, i decided i didnt even want to find out what went wrong, i just wanted it gone in favour of a manual transmission. I was cruising around craigslist and saw a guy who said he had a 4 speed ford tranny that was mated to a 289. I gathered some cash and went to take a look. Turns out it was exactly what i thought, a 4 speed toploader! coded (HEH-BS). Being tht he was a chevy guy, he had no clue on the worth so i offered him 180 bucks, and he took it! Came with a bellhousing and hurst competition shifter. Took the top plate off at home, and it all looks good, syncros etc. It had sat 25 years apparently, so i wanted to be be sure of its condition. Luckily sat with oil in it! :grin:

Found out it is a falcon top-loader, and that it would require an adapter plate for the shifter in order to fit in my 67 coupe. For 110 bucks I got an adapter plate and extended shift levers. Still a great deal! Seeing it was not in need of huge repairs, i decided im just gonna run it, due to my budget. Just input/ output shaft seal replacement for now. Fingers crossed! I got some high temp plasti kote and took to detailing the trans, followed by a fresh clear. Take a look and let me know what you guys think! hopefully didn't go too hog wild on the colors.

And lastly...a few questions... what should i do about my driveshaft and existing yolk? will the yolk fit the output? should I just chuck my driveshaft and have a new one made? And i need a new clutch and flywheel. 164 tooth i believe? whats the correct clutch size for the setup? Thanks a ton guys!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You stole it and it looks great!:grin:

#3 ·
I think you can pat yourself on the back, but you also need the clutch linkage (z-bar, pivots, springs, clutch pedal, assist spring, clutch adjusting rod, pilot bushing, and several other parts). The normal size for the clutch is 10", but since the engine is modified, you could go to a 10.5", if you buy new, make sure you use a solvent to remove the protective coatings on the flywheel and pressure plate before you install them, if you buy used and surfaces look good, lightly sand a crosshatch on them with some sandpaper then clean them. You will also need the shifter boot and trim ring to go on the tunnel. You will also, have to see what mates up as far as the driveshaft. Good Luck.

#4 ·
Thanks guys! Yeah I'm looking for the linkages and clutch setup, shifter boot etc. thanks for the advice on the clutch Rex, great advice! I will go with a 10.5. Any place I can find the clutch linkages aftermarket for a reasonable price, or another Ford car that had the same setup I can harvest parts from?

#7 ·
The yoke and driveshaft should fit just fine, but it's a good idea to measure the distance between the output shaft and the pinion center on the rear axle for the C4. Once you get the toploader in there, measure it again. The driveshaft may have to be shortened by 3/4" or so. If that's the case, just take it to a local driveshaft shop, and they'll shorten it for you. Or you can have them build you a heavier-duty driveshaft that can take more power than the flimsy stock one.

#8 ·
Nice find.
You can get your your clutch linkage, Z-bar, and all the necessary goodies from most any mustang supply house.

Check you output shaft to see if its a 28 spline or a 25 spline. Some from that time period had a 25 spline. If its a 25 spline, you'll need to source a DS yoke to match. If its a 28 spline, you should be fine. Your C4 would have used a 28 spline

#9 ·
Wow, thanks for all the info! I just pulled my rear differential today to clean it up. might as well since my motor and tranny are out, then ill shoot some enamel underneath. Havent had the time to try to swap the yolk over yet, so will see what that yields tomorrow. I will end up getting a stronger driveshaft made as well, last thing i want is to launch that driveshaft and have it pop my floor boards or dig into the road and cause an accident lol. Will keep you guys updated on the progress! And one last question...my core c4..how much can i look to get out of it through resale? Thanks a ton!

#10 ·
Update: pulled my rear axle last night and painted it, bent some new brake lines, and changed the pads and cylinders! I looked in my NPD mustang part catalog, and estimated that I am about $1,000 off for every last nut and bolt i need, between linkages, stage 2 centerforce clutch and pressure pate, new flywheel, and possibly a new yolk. Very excited to see it run again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.