Ford Mustang Forum banner

Extremely Rough Idle and Leaky Carb

595 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  sp66stang 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm hoping someone could help me out with a problem I've been having for a couple of months. I have a 67 Mustang Coupe 6 cylinder with a Holley Carburetor (akin to this one here Carburetor - 64-67 6 cyl MC Manual Choke Rebuilt - John's Mustang Parts & Accessories) that hasn't been running too well. When I start the car (it starts well enough) the idle runs extremely rough until it dies 15-20 seconds after it starts. Any attempt to give it some fuel from the gas pedal almost always kills the engine; however, if I give it fuel very slowly I can sustain the rough idle.
I am at a loss, I've changed the fuel pump (with no change), checked the spark plugs (lightly sanded and re-spaced), and even rebuilt the carb several time (changing the float height, with no change). All other systems are working like before (it was fully functioning). The only thing that has changed in appearance in that fuel is now leaking from the gasket between the top of the bowl and the bottom.
I am almost certain that this is a fuel problem; however, I need some help with the diagnosis. Thanks. anyone, for helping. - Jeremy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.