Ford Mustang Forum banner

Engine Info?

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Cbeard1978 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought a 351c from a coworker it came out of a Boss 351 but doing research I am certain it is from a 1972 torino with 1973 2v heads. The engine code is D2AE-CA the heads are D3AE C2B my research says if it had 4 bolt mains it would be a cobra jet however having 2 bolts mains it is listed as coming from a torino. Can anyone confirm that I am correct? Still pretty good deal cause got it for $200. Btw when he had bought the car the guy told him that the engine had been rebuilt but looks to me like it had a engine swap

#2 ·
If it has not been bored and the block is good, then $200 is a good deal. No 2V heads were ever put on a 351 Boss or 351CJ from the factory.

The D2AE-CA is a 351CJ 4-bolt main block

For what its worth, a 2-bolt main block is just as good as a 4 bolt main. No real difference except it just sounds good to say its a 4-bolt main block.

#3 ·
It is definitly a 2 bolt main. i read ford had two versions of the D2AE-CA the 4 bolt 351cj and a 2 bolt that was put in the torinos the 4 bolt was also a 4v and the 2 bolt was usually a 2v. I spent a couple hours breaking down engine and it seems ok but it was locked up big time probally due to fact that it is humid as hell in the south and the engine had sat in guys garage for a year with no oil.

#7 ·
before I do anything else or buy anything I would take it to machine shop and have dipped. that's a lot of rust. don't know if it can be bored out enough to get rid of the pitting. just my 2 cents. which is only worth 1.

#9 ·
Very good approach. I would have the block baked, cleaned, and inspected for cracks or imperfections. They can check the bore for you as well. If all is well, Then move forward with a plan

#12 ·
Hey guys I'm new to this site. Anyways, I have a 3.8l v6 02 mustang. I installed a SR Performance cai with a 65mm BBK throttle body. She idles fine and revs great in park. When I'm in drive and hit the gas she moves quite well. But when I'm in 3rd gear and floor it she won't go anywhere, is it possible that I need to use a bama tuner to retune my car for these improvements? Is it that the mass air sensor is not programed right for the new air flow?? Thanks for the help guys. Like I said I'm a little new at this. Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.