Ford Mustang Forum banner

Monte Carlo Export or Both

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  geicoman58 
#1 ·
Hey Guys I have an early 65 with a 200 CuIn donkey and hard top- so not a race car by any means.

Over the years my father and I have doing various things to make it a reasonalbe daily classic (so far sound deadening, up graded head lights, electronic ignition, 5 speed box, central locking, high output alt, head rests, lowered driver's seat plinth, etc.. etc..).

The next thing is to tighten up the suspension and I see talk about monte carlo bars and export braces. Can you guys tell me if I should plump for either or both of these and what they will do?

FYI my late father drove this car off the lot in 65 and I am its second owner. I know some people would like to see it resotrd to concorse but this was always a family driver and that is the way it stays (until my son ownes it and decides otherwise- All original parts in storage)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
your car has a export brace that's the one from the shock tower to firewall. monte carlo bar goes from inner fender to inner fender in front of shock tower. imo you don't need it unless your fenders are leaning in. new bushings would be the first thing I do. your suspension is 50 years old. then I go with shocks.

#3 ·
Rebuild your front suspension and do the Arning drop. With modern alignment specs. Look at Opentrackers front suspension parts website. Simply drilling the holes for the Arning drop will improve the handling of your car. It sounds like your car is a fun project and driver. New control arms, springs , shocks, tie rods, larger sway bar etc is inorder.

#5 ·
The Arning drop? is that the same as the Shelby modification (two new lower hols for the control arm)? If so that is on my todo list for summer (its srping here now) and yes new bushes in place already.Shocks were replaced during the rebuild. In all honesty it handels quite well but I am always after anything that will help keep the family safe.

#6 ·
imo you don't need it with the 6 cyl. the two piece you have is enough. if you want more go with frame connectors and a front sway bar nothing bigger than 1" though. no need for rear sway bar. imo

#8 ·
Putting a ford service part export brace on my car back in the late 70's was one of the most noticeable handling improvement things I ever did to it. I would highly recommend getting a quality one, there are some cheapies that look the part, but are not as good as the more expensive units. The monte carlo bar-meh...maybe not so much. I added one and it is a nice thing to lean on or hang my drop light from when working under the hood! There is also a little bracket that you can add with the export brace at the firewall that is probably a good idea as well, best to weld on, but can just be sandwiched in there between the brace and cowl. If you google it you can find lots of info on this subject that may be very helpful . I also welded in subframe connectors and added a stronger engine/susp x member with a jack pad that has made life safer and easier when using a floor jack! Along with the shelby drop and starting out as a GT, the car handles and rides quite nicely. Assume it all will help in the safty dept as well should the car be involved in a wreck.

Attachments

#9 ·
I have a 66 with the 200. I did Export Brace and monte carlo bar. Put in koni gas adjust shocks, rebuilt the suspension use poly bushings, 1" sway bar and did Shelby drop. Put rear 5/8 sway bar also with slapper bars. Problem now is the inlines gear ratio on the steering box can't keep up with the improvements. Stuck like a rail with 205 70 14's.

#10 ·
#11 ·
Hi Guys righto I have dedcided to add a Monte Carlo bar and do the Arning drop. To that end I have taken my springs out and renmoved the UCA. I find that my shocks are pretty much usless so replacing them will help a lot. However I was wiondering about the springs (they are original) They have a un sprung length of 12 in on the button, I think that is 1/4 in less than spec. Not bad after 50 years of sitting on them. But any thoughts about their reusableness? Again this is a driving classic not a race car.

#12 ·
Wait, your going to do the arning drop, and go with a monte carlo brace, but your not going to add an export brace? I think your springs will be fine for how you use your car. Probably no way I could convince you to go with roller spring perches now, while you have it all apart is there? :smile:

#14 ·
All right then, check it out dazecars.com there are others as well that make them , but this guy has good referrals..
Someone is always building a better mouse trap it seems....ford didn't like to spend a dime they didn't have to, hence all the improvements we can do to make the cars better,safer,faster etc. You've got the car apart, its going to need to be aligned when done, why in the world would you not do an export brace if you are going to go thru the trouble of the arning drop. its so easy, all things considered, and fairly inexpensive..google and u-tube are your friends..he sells the metal template and drill bit for the drop if you want as well...Go for it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.