1967 Mustang Wiper Switch Wiring to Painless Wiring Harness? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Question 1967 Mustang Wiper Switch Wiring to Painless Wiring Harness?

Hi everyone,

I have a 1967 Mustang coupe. My problem is I purchased a painless wiring harness about two years ago and I did everything except for the wiring for the wipers. I have been looking through a wiring diagram for the '67 wipers and everything makes sense except for when I get to the painless manual.

The painless manual asks me to connect the blue wire (which connects the wiper switch and the motor) to a fused wire in the painless kit. The problem is the blue wire is not cut anywhere and if I cut it I will either lose the switch or the motor.

I know I can just splice into the wire and then connect to the fuse, but I don't know if that is supposed to be the procedure. Everything else is where it should be and I am going to use the original harness for the wipers.

I know this may be confusing, so if any part doesn't make sense please let me know and I will try to clarify. I really need help with this so any suggestions will be considered.

I am hoping someone has a '67 who has done the painless conversion, so if that is the case please give me some advice.

Also, I am going to need to hook up the pedal on the floor so I can't avoid that either. I am going to try and scan the diagram that I have and some pics of the wires to clarify.

Thanks for any help!

2013 GHIG Boss 302: Recaros, Torsen. Whiteline rear control arms, Barton shifter w/ two post bracket, Ford Racing Stinger mufflers (swapping soon), more to come.

SOLD!Natasha- Performance White 2011 Mustang 5.0 Premium: MT, 401a with Cashmere Stripe, Comfort Package, 18" Polished Wheels.

Natalie- Wimbledon White 1967 Mustang coupe, 289 2bbl, Red Interior, 16x8 torque thrust II's, Custom Exhaust with Doug's Headers, MSD 6a Electronic Ignition, Grant Steering Wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007
PONY Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Okay.......

I am looking at a '67 wiring diagram. There are 4 connections on the motor, and 4 connections on the washer/wiper coordinator switch. 7 wires lead from the wiper switch itself (dash). Power to the wiper switch is from the orange wire, which is spliced into the blk/grn wire. Blk/grn goes to the back of the ign. switch "A" terminal, which I believe is the 'post' on the back. Power is derived through the gr/red wire from back of ign switch to the starter relay (solenoid). If I am reading this correctly, there is no fuse anywhere in the circuit. Strange, but I think my '66 is wired up something similar. I don't see any indication of a fusible link or circuit breaker.

That said, I think the painless (not so painless anymore) kit might be attempting to give you a level of safety by running it through a fuse.

Which wire is the blue wire replacing?

Michael

1966 289-2V C-4 Convertible. 2nd owner, resurrected rustbucket. Factory console and power top, conversion to P/B with dual res MC.

1990 GT 25th Anniversary 5.0 AOD Convertible. SOLD
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouMike76 View Post
Okay.......

I am looking at a '67 wiring diagram. There are 4 connections on the motor, and 4 connections on the washer/wiper coordinator switch. 7 wires lead from the wiper switch itself (dash). Power to the wiper switch is from the orange wire, which is spliced into the blk/grn wire. Blk/grn goes to the back of the ign. switch "A" terminal, which I believe is the 'post' on the back. Power is derived through the gr/red wire from back of ign switch to the starter relay (solenoid). If I am reading this correctly, there is no fuse anywhere in the circuit. Strange, but I think my '66 is wired up something similar. I don't see any indication of a fusible link or circuit breaker.

That said, I think the painless (not so painless anymore) kit might be attempting to give you a level of safety by running it through a fuse.

Which wire is the blue wire replacing?

Michael

For the most part I found the same thing. The only thing that is different for some reason is I have solid red wires; they are not striped. There is a blue (light blue) wire which goes from the switch to the motor. The problem is there is the connector on one end with two male and two female connections and the other end has the large adapter that goes into the wiper switch on the dash. This is a problem because the blue wire is only connected in those two places and the painless wiring kit tells me to connect it to the wiper power, which leads to the fuse panel they provide. I know it is hard to visualize. Like I said I am going to try and get some pics tomorrow, I am waiting on my girlfriends digital camera so I can take pics. I just don't know where to turn because my local mustang shop doesn't know off hand.

I appreciate your help, and if you come up with any more ideas please send them my way. Thanks for your help.

2013 GHIG Boss 302: Recaros, Torsen. Whiteline rear control arms, Barton shifter w/ two post bracket, Ford Racing Stinger mufflers (swapping soon), more to come.

SOLD!Natasha- Performance White 2011 Mustang 5.0 Premium: MT, 401a with Cashmere Stripe, Comfort Package, 18" Polished Wheels.

Natalie- Wimbledon White 1967 Mustang coupe, 289 2bbl, Red Interior, 16x8 torque thrust II's, Custom Exhaust with Doug's Headers, MSD 6a Electronic Ignition, Grant Steering Wheel.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007
PONY Member
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Ok,

Based on what I am looking at, all wires from the wiper switch go either to the 4 pin connector or directly to the wiper coordination switch. The only wire that goes anywhere else is the orange wire from the switch, and it is the power supply for the system.

Now: you will need a test light for this, but you need to see if the blue wire from the switch to the 4 pin connector is indeed the power from the switch to the motor. Even so, it would seem there would be more than one hot lead from the wiper switch to the motor, to account for the various speeds. I would check them all in various switch postions. This will tell you what they are. Perhaps I am partially right, and the blue wire is a constant hot when the switch is in any on position (high or low).

Again, this might be the painless (pain-ass?) way to wire in a fuse to the system. If that be the case, I would think it more logical to fuse the orange wire from the blk/grn splice to the switch. However, this might cause interference with the 'park' function, causing the wipers to stall in drive. By park I mean fully down in the off postion, and by drive I mean somewhere else.

Run the switch through the test light paces; write down what you have. Then, test light again on that 4 pin connector going to to motor, it should give us a better idea.

Ultimately, I think you will need to splice that blue wire into the fuse box. Get back to me, and we'll try to figure this out!

Michael

1966 289-2V C-4 Convertible. 2nd owner, resurrected rustbucket. Factory console and power top, conversion to P/B with dual res MC.

1990 GT 25th Anniversary 5.0 AOD Convertible. SOLD
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouMike76 View Post
Ok,

Based on what I am looking at, all wires from the wiper switch go either to the 4 pin connector or directly to the wiper coordination switch. The only wire that goes anywhere else is the orange wire from the switch, and it is the power supply for the system.

Now: you will need a test light for this, but you need to see if the blue wire from the switch to the 4 pin connector is indeed the power from the switch to the motor. Even so, it would seem there would be more than one hot lead from the wiper switch to the motor, to account for the various speeds. I would check them all in various switch postions. This will tell you what they are. Perhaps I am partially right, and the blue wire is a constant hot when the switch is in any on position (high or low).

Again, this might be the painless (pain-ass?) way to wire in a fuse to the system. If that be the case, I would think it more logical to fuse the orange wire from the blk/grn splice to the switch. However, this might cause interference with the 'park' function, causing the wipers to stall in drive. By park I mean fully down in the off postion, and by drive I mean somewhere else.

Run the switch through the test light paces; write down what you have. Then, test light again on that 4 pin connector going to to motor, it should give us a better idea.

Ultimately, I think you will need to splice that blue wire into the fuse box. Get back to me, and we'll try to figure this out!

Michael
Ok I will give that a try tomorrow afternoon. Thanks a lot for sticking around to help me. I really appreciate it. I think you are right about the orange wire. I have been trying to call painless, but they are in Texas and when I get home from work they are closed; kind of inconvenient. Anyways, like I said I think you are right.

I just want to make sure, but you want me to hook up the orange wire and then use the test light? Cuz there is no way to hook anything else up anyways. I am also going to upload pics tonight, so maybe you can give me a better idea.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
Classic Member
5.0L Member

Thanks again for all your help MizzouMike76. My name is Mike too by the way.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
Classic Member
5.0L Member

These are some pics of the wiring that goes from the motor to the switch as well as the wiring diagram I have for the original wiring. I cant get the painless page to scan. This is what it says:

Column 1 (color of wire on original wiring)= blue

Column 2 (Gauge of wire) = 16

Column 3 (Number of the wire in painless wiring harness) = 905

Column 4 (Connect to. Meaning connect Wire color from column 1 to this wire in painless harness) = Wiper Switch B+

Column 5 (Wire starting point. Meaning where the painless wire starts) = Fuse Panel

Column 6 (Section of starting point. I think it means that this wire only comes from the fuse panel and is not connected anywhere else)= Fuse panel

I know this might be confusing. I will try my best to scan that image. Thanks again for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp DSC03371-revised.bmp (1,002.2 KB, 4324 views)
File Type: bmp DSC03372-resized.bmp (1,002.2 KB, 2158 views)
File Type: bmp DSC03374-revised.bmp (1,002.2 KB, 2038 views)
File Type: bmp DSC03375-resized.bmp (1,002.2 KB, 1794 views)
File Type: bmp Wiper Diagram resized.bmp (1,015.3 KB, 23050 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page