Ford Mustang Forum banner

Performance Automatic shifter

801 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Charles Reeves 
#1 ·
I have a PA C4 on my 70, 347. It's a great transmission but it has the stock shifter. I'd like to change that to something that's more defined. I've never had an upgraded shifter before and I'm looking for some advice. The stock shifter leaves a lot to be desired when shifting manually through the gears. Actually, it leaves a lot to be desired when trying to keep an eye on a tach and at the same time making sure I don't slide from first to third or neutral.

#6 ·
It was a long time ago, so I don't really remember details of the install. But I don't recall any big problems, and I do like the shifter. It's the first thing folks notice when they look in the car. The only very small issue is that I sometimes have to tell people they have to pull up on the handle to get it into or out of Park & Reverse.

I've looked at the one below from Lokar recently, partly because of the aforementioned cable problem, and also because their home office is 1/2 mile from my home. One issue is that it does not have a backup light switch (it has a neutral safety switch), and I don't think the shift numbers on the top of the knob light up to show what gear you are in, although they do have an accessory panel that mounts on the dash. I do realize the latter may not be an issue for some. I should add that Lokar items aren't cheap, but they are the best I've seen and used.

Lokar: Floor Mount Automatic Transmission Shifters

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.