Question about running Ford 4100 with Edelbrock 2121 Intake - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Question about running Ford 4100 with Edelbrock 2121 Intake

So I put a performer 289 on my 289 and I want to run my ford 4100 on it but I have run a couple of spaces but I keep getting some crazy vacuum leaks from under the car above the carb spacer, I ran a spectre one I picked up at autozone and had a smaller vacuum leak then I went with a mr. gasket one and it wont even stay on its so bad. What spacers do you run with this set up anyone? I just want to get my car back on the road.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015
BOSS Member

a couple of things come to mind...

1. If you are using "standard" type gaskets, did you soak them in water before the install...if not, try that.

2. Find a very flat hard surface, get some 180 grit sand paper, check the surface of the spacers for unevenness...if it's got em, just keep sanding til its straight

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015
BOSS Member
Classic Member

You need a metal one, with 4 holes, at least the size of your throttle bores on the 4100. Check this out, if it is not what you want there are others at this site, like thinner and thicker:Mr. Gasket Carburetor Spacers 6006 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
Good Luck.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

@Beechkid thanks for the info, I will check that tommorrow @rex1965 that is the exact one i bought last since it seemed like it was going to work, sadly it wont even stay on with this spacer where the old cheap spectre spacer was atleast staying on at a high idle from vacuum leak. I am going to make sure its not warped or un even
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

check everything for straightness even the carb. just to make sure that you are using two gaskets one on each side of spacer. ive seen this many times people using only one gasket.

289 and T5
1966 mustang
2006 mustang gt
both are white with red interior
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015
PONY Member

I use the Boss 302 spacer with the pcv hose connection on my Edie RPM manifold to seal the 4100's base. Yes a gasket for both sides .
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015
PONY Member

The 2121 has a problem with the 4100 as the carb overhangs the manifold boss. You need an adapter or a phenolic spacer to take up the gap. I have heard the boss spacer works but have no personal experiences. I think the adapter is part #2732. Most suppliers have it. I went with a phenolic but have the adapter in a drawer.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Will that spacer work any better than the Mr gasket with the 4holes its $10on amazon but seeing how this is my third spacer I'm starting to wonder if I should just go with an edelbrock 1404carb and cut my losses on the 4100
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

I would not give up on 4100. its a great carb

289 and T5
1966 mustang
2006 mustang gt
both are white with red interior
PONY Member

I ditched my Ebelbrock because I couldn't tune it. I put a 4100 on. Great carb. I had a problem with a vacuum leak and cut a piece of steel and drilled holes to for the carb spacer to seal it up. I then heard about the Boss spacer and switched to that. For gaskets, buy them from a Mustang parts dealer. The box store ones may not seal them up. The Fel Pro number for carb mounting gaskets is 60059. NPD number 9447-15. Edelbrock makes a heat insulating gasket to put under the spacer. Part number 9266. I read some years ago I can't remember where, some one filled the bottom of the stock carb spacer with epoxy to help seal things up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page