So called "OEM tooling" - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Veronica

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

So called "OEM tooling"

I just received my rear valance the other day and dry fitted it today so guess what?
It's not a good fit, not by a long shot.
The angle of the cuts on the new valance at the lower rear quarters are not even the same angle, a few degrees off.
I'll make it work as I have done with the other multiple patch panels I have beaten into place onto Frankenstein's Monster-AKA 1970 Mustang Sportsroof that currently takes up my garage (much to my wife's dismay).
I have ordered parts from CJ Pony, Mustangs Unlimited, NPD, and others that advertise as OEM tooling is pure BS.
If you order these repair panels be prepared to nibble away on them like a possessed tin eating termite to get them to fit right.
You could get the higher dollar panel made by "notverydynamicorn" or "Lameduck Drake" but just know from my experience, it's not going to fit very well.
NPD has the best prices.
And don't try contacting the call centers at these places for info on parts they sell because they completely clueless.
Just thought I would pass this info on to the rest of those working on their classic Mustangs.
Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

OEM tooling only means that its the tooling used by either Ford or the contractor who made those parts for Ford. Any tooling has a limited lifetime and eventually gets replaced when it wears out and can't produce quality parts. So a part produced from 50-year-old OEM tooling might be good or bad depending how worn out the tooling was when they quit making those parts. The hope is that its the best available but 'best available' is no guarantee that its going to be really good.

That's why I use repro parts as a last resort. If you can fix the original parts they will probably work and/or look better than a repro.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Well you know it's kinda deceitful for suppliers to advertise anything with a claim to "OEM" when it is not.
If I was to purchase something that was labeled in that way, I would expect it to be pretty much dead on in comparison to the original part.
Original parts are hard to come by and can get pretty expensive.
You kind of have to weigh the differences of pumping $10-15 grand into a $7000 project car only to wind up with something that will possibly be worth only $15-$20,000 by the time you are done.
I guess it's the personal satisfaction of saying "I did it" and that a piece of automobile history was saved from the scrapyard.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016
PONY Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makedust View Post
Well you know it's kinda deceitful for suppliers to advertise anything with a claim to "OEM" when it is not.
It's not being deceitful at all honestly. We describe the part just as it is. It's a part made from OEM tooling. As explained earlier by another member that is just letting you know that this part was made using the original tooling that was used 50ish years ago.

I've never personally rebuilt a classic but things I have learned working here from guys that have is even if you took two cars that rolled off back to back and picked a part, we'll use a 66 coupe for an example. Even though they are the same car if you were to pull the fender from one and try to put it on the other more than likely it wouldn't fit correctly. No two cars were ever the same. I have seen it were my guys had a OE part and tried to use it for another build and they still have to bang out and make it work because it didn't fit exactly as the original one did.

There is also the fact that in the first year they sold over 400,000 Mustang and over a million around the 2 year mark. That is a lot of stamping and with that will come wear and tear on the die. These companies that offer these OEM Tooling parts have all been contacted by Ford to offer these parts in hopes that you guys will get something better than what you can get from an overseas manufacturer. Yes it usually cost more than your normal repop but it's the closest thing to buying a OEM part that you'll get at this time.

I hope this helps a little bit.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I find it hard to believe that the Ford Motor Company, or any other US car manufacturer, would offer up their original tooling to the highest bidder.
From my experience working in the manufacturing business, when a mold is no longer useable, it is destroyed, reworked, or it goes straight to the recycler.
From the looks of the replacement parts I have ordered, the parts are larger or smaller, contour lines do not match up, rounded as opposed to crisp lines, I think these suppliers took an original part and made a half hearted attempt at making a mold from that part and are now trying to pass it off a OEM.
I also find it hard to believe that Ford would sell their mold, knowing that it was worn or damaged, and let it be used by an unaffiliated supplier to continue to make money of of it and market it as OEM.
That just doesn't seem like a good business policy to me.
I don't think the replacement parts are being stamped out of vintage mustang dies and molds period.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that the Ford Motor Company, or any other US car manufacturer, would offer up their original tooling to the highest bidder.
From my experience working in the manufacturing business, when a mold is no longer useable, it is destroyed, reworked, or it goes straight to the recycler.
From the looks of the replacement parts I have ordered, the parts are larger or smaller, contour lines do not match up, rounded as opposed to crisp lines, I think these suppliers took an original part and made a half hearted attempt at making a mold from that part and are now trying to pass it off a OEM.
I also find it hard to believe that Ford would sell their mold, knowing that it was worn or damaged, and let it be used by an unaffiliated supplier to continue to make money of of it and market it as OEM.
That just doesn't seem like a good business policy to me.
I don't think the replacement parts are being stamped out of vintage mustang dies and molds period.
Then read this

Original Ford Tooling | Dennis Carpenter Ford Restoration Parts

67 coupe--5.0
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ with drag pack
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016
GT Member

Good post, Lizer. Obselete doesn't necessarily mean worn out or damaged.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Dennis Carpenter restoration parts is probably one, of maybe one! that uses actual ford tooling and makes their parts in the US.
I will definitely look into this supplier for my next project (57 Fairlane, maybe sunliner, I don't know if I want it to get that complicated).
When you drop $5000-$6000 in replacement parts, well that's not something to overlook.
Hard earned $$$ deserves a well made part.
I kinda rushed the 70 Mustang so my son could have it for his senior year.
I'm going to take my time with the Fairlane and get the best parts available.
Thanks for the supplier link.
I won't order anything from the other suppliers I've used before, unless I really have to, or if I'm drunk!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
we'll use a 66 coupe for an example. Even though they are the same car if you were to pull the fender from one and try to put it on the other more than likely it wouldn't fit correctly. No two cars were ever the same.
Hello. This is a common misconception. The variations between cars in the 65/66 model years were a result of the blistering pace at which these cars were assembled. If you took one of these cars that was about to roll out the door, pulled off that fender and stuck another one from the pile on the car as a replacement, it would have fit on there the same as the one that you pulled off. If you took a stack of those rear valences, that the original poster is having trouble with, that were sitting in a stack at the Dearborn assembly plant in 1965, and compared them, they were identical, within the tolerances of manufacturing at that time. The variations would be measured in thousands of an inch and arc minutes. After a few decades of bouncing down the road the cars have tweeked themselves significantly, and are no longer exactly like they were when they were new, so, some fitment issues are no doubt the result of this, but, to blame everything on "That's how they were when they were brand new" is simply not true. I don't mean to make a big thing out of this, and I can certainly appreciate the difficulties involved in putting one of these cars back together, having done it to more than a couple of them, but, I can also appreciate the frustration of the person that is trying to put one car back together, spends money on a new part, only to discover that it will not work without an inordinate amount of 'massaging'. One should always keep in mind the obvious statement that, if these cars were assembled in the slipshod manner people try to attribute to them, using parts that were all over the place on fit and quality, you would not still have so many of them still around after 25 times the warranty period.
Ivy66GT likes this.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Quote:
Dennis Carpenter restoration parts is probably one, of maybe one! that uses actual ford tooling and makes their parts in the US.
I will definitely look into this supplier for my next project (57 Fairlane, maybe sunliner, I don't know if I want it to get that complicated).
When you drop $5000-$6000 in replacement parts, well that's not something to overlook.
Hard earned $$$ deserves a well made part.
I kinda rushed the 70 Mustang so my son could have it for his senior year.
I'm going to take my time with the Fairlane and get the best parts available.
Thanks for the supplier link.
I won't order anything from the other suppliers I've used before, unless I really have to, or if I'm drunk!
Carpenter is a manufacturer and isn't an exclusive supplier for the parts they sell, a lot of the parts suppliers sell Carpenter, such as CJ's. Scott Drake also has some Ford Tooling parts, and National Parts Depot might have some of their own stamps as well. I know NPD makes some of their own tooling that is really good too. There are only a few different manufacturers for any given part you can buy for your car; the various suppliers are all getting their parts from the same source or two.

67 coupe--5.0
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ with drag pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page