Ford Mustang Forum banner

Water Valve Vacuum Switch

6K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  humpbackshooter 
#1 ·
Any of y'll had much problems with one of these? Mind is broke. I think the spring in side is broken. Going to try some oil and see if that will loosen it up.:grin:

Thanks,
Hump.

#2 · (Edited)
Not gonna lie, I have no idea what that is. Got a picture of it, or can you describe where it is?

Nvm, I found out what it is. Oil probably won't help, so I'd say just get a new one.

#3 ·
Hi Paul. Its a vacuum switch that's behind the glove box. You have your vacuum line coming from the tank in the motor compartment ..........at which it splits and one line goes to this switch. (Which I pretty sure is suppose to be spring loaded). How you have the "temp" lever on the dash controls this switch. Vacuum then heads out and back out to the "heater coil" valve. Its a in/out.......open/close......type switch.
I'd try and post a pic but have not mastered it here @AFM. (Can't pull pics from my computer and don't have a account set up with photo-bucket.)

Thanks
Phil

#9 · (Edited)
That is not what I thought you were describing, it is not a heater control valve, that is a vacuum switch that is hooked to something, but I do not know what, maybe one of the others know, it may control the vacuum to the heater control valve, but again I do not know. Most vacuum switches rarely go bad, vacuum servos and like, usually go bad. Good Luck.

#12 ·
Rex...that's what it goes to. Is controled by the lever over at the controls by the drivers door.

Ivy....That's the one. ( The item marked with a 1 inside a black circle.) I like your attachments better than the ones I have. (I have the same ones, only they don't seem to be as clear)
Just got to now pick one of these up. Mind has the spring inside broke.

Thanks,
hump

#14 ·
Phil,

The only thing I remember about the heater in the '67 Cougar parts car I once drove was that the heater core had a huge hole in it that would almost spray water.

How does that widget work? It looks like the heater control knob must push in the plunger on that switch to allow vacuum to open and close the water valve? That seems kinda complicated. :)

I don't remember where I found those attachments; it was a download from somewhere. I still can't erase that first one so I will leave it since its for the same car but the other side of the firewall. The main use for that vacuum storage tank on a Cougar is to open/close the headlight doors. That was one of the FEW things on that Cougar which worked.

#16 ·
Rex.....you are right on how it works. The warmer/cooler adjustment works the cable that run over to the switch. ( Which is mounted on the air chamber box ) I'm not sure if it opens or closes the passage of vacuum to the water control valve under the hood. That will be easy to check out cause its either open or closed. Its just got 2 fittings on it. There is 2 studs that is on it for mounting.
The little thang is a little pricey tho. Formed plastic and a spring & plunger. But got to have it.
Thanks,
hump

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.