Ford Mustang Forum banner

Ignition cylinder locked up

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  aerovez 
#1 · (Edited)
key will turn left and to off, but won't turn to accessory or start. It will finally turn after a lot of jiggling. The car also hard starts. Especially if it has been running within the last few hours. It's hard to replicate the starting issues as I know it's not choke related. The blinkers have also slowed down considerably. Are these all related issues or is the blinkers a fuse issue?

It has an MSD distributor.

#3 ·
It sounds like you have several problems, so I would start with the lock cylinder first, remove it and use a screwdriver and see if the ignition switch will go to all the different positions. To remove the lock cylinder, you didn't say what year, but for 64-68, disconnect the battery neg cable, then you turn the key to the left ACC, then insert the end of a paper clip into the hole on the lock cylinder, then turn the lock cylinder to the left one more position (with the paper clip inserted in the hole), then the lock cylinder should pull out with the key, do not rotate the key any, as if you go to install it you have to put it in the way it came out. If the ignition switch is okay, then get a new lock cylinder and key, and install it. Good Luck.

#6 ·
You mean new key right? If it's a replica why would I need new cylinders. And Id rather not replace trunk, and two door cylinders. Must be a way to get an ignition cylinder keyed for an existing right?

Any idea why it wouldn't turn over easily?

#10 · (Edited)
Yes, try getting a new key cut first, it's the cheapest option.
If it doesn't work then you need a new ignition barrel with a new key.

As Charles mentioned, the doors and ignition keys are the same on a 66 model, If you want the same key to open the doors and start the car, then you must replace all 3 barrels to use one key. (you can buy them keyed alike in a kit).
The boot has a different key.

As for the car not turning over, it could be a number of things as Rex mentioned.

#7 · (Edited)
What year do you have? What engine? What trans? Is it stock? More info is better than too much. By hard starting, do you mean it turns over, but doesn't fire or run, or do you mean it turns over slow? Does it smell like gas under the hood, maybe the choke is boiling over, or flooding when the engine is shut off after you drive it? Slow blinkers, can be corroded sockets, a bad bulb, a bad blinker, weak battery voltage or a charging system problem. Post your answers. Good Luck.

#9 ·
It's a 289 with c4 auto trans. 4160 Holley 4 bbl with electric choke. MSD distributor. I noticed yesterday it kind of smelled like gas as if it was flooded so I gave it a few minutes and tried again. By hard starting I mean it's cranking fast and hard, but it doesn't want to take. A lot like it would if it was flooded. In the morning it turns over no problem. If I drive it to work and 8 hours later get in, it had trouble starting. So that rules out vapor lock or flooding. Really perplexed.

#11 · (Edited)
I wouldn't rule out flooding, try to start the car normally, if it does not start, then when a car is flooded , the way to start it is to hold accelerator to the floor, and try to start the engine, as soon as it starts, RELEASE the accelerator pedal so as not to spin the engine too high. If it starts this way, then it was flooded, and you will have to let us know which way, and we will give you some things to check. If you have to get a new lock cylinder, and good locksmith can rekey your new ignition switch to a door key. Post your results. Good luck.

#12 ·
Rex- the car cold starts in the morning without needing to touch the gas. In the afternoon I need to hold the gas pedal down or it will never start. I've leaned the electric choke out about 5 markings and still getting this problem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.