Ford Mustang Forum banner

68 Convertible - Power Steering Issues

927 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  blcarney 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone, been a while since I've been here. Apologize in advance for the long post, but it's a long story and I'm very frustrated. Also apologize for the rant.

I've got a 68 Convertible (302V8) that I inherited from my Dad 2 years ago. He bought it in 1987. It’s stock and all original except for replacing parts that have worn out like the convertible top, power steering pump, radiator, real leaf springs, floor plan etc. It only has 103,000 miles on it. My plan has been to keep it pretty stock going forward except for new wheels & tires, and a disk brake swap up front.

I’ve tried 2 shops now, and have been disappointed in both. First tried Pit Stop in Cary 2 years ago, and more recently Raleigh Autocare off of Glenwood. Never felt comfortable with the folks at Pit Stop. Just got the car back from Raleigh AutoCare. (This is the 4th time they've had it over the 2 years, and every time it has had some sort of issue with the steering. They put the new / refurbished steering pump in, and have replaced hoses with large holes, and rebuilt the "power control mechanism" (looks like a shock absorber but goes left to right).) They had it for 6 weeks. I had it trailered there as it has had a major power steering fluid leak, and last time I wanted to drive it, there was a nasty sound coming from something up front whenever I turned the steering wheel. Didn’t feel safe driving it (didn’t want to end up in a ditch because of steering issues), so, on the trailer it goes. They fixed some other minor things like the weather stripping at the bottom of the windows, greased the tracks for window lifts, and fixed the passenger door lock. But, six weeks?! They replaced an o-ring on the "power control mechanism" this time. Most of the 6 week wait was waiting for parts.

When I drove the car from their shop to the office last Thursday (4/21), I noticed that the steering at low speeds was very high effort. Almost like it didn’t even have power steering. When I got home, I the power steering fluid level. Not a single drop on the dipstick!! I added a full 12oz bottle of steering fluid and it still didn’t show. As a bonus, now that there was steering fluid in it, the nasty sound when turning the wheel came back.

When they called to tell me it was done, I specifically asked to make sure the leak was fixed, and that the nasty sound was gone. They confirmed both issues were fixed. I’m quite pissed off at this. When I called Monday morning, they said to add some more fluid to fill it up, then monitor the level. If it maintains level, it may be a bubble of air in the system. Why the f(#k was this not checked before they gave it back to me? They only had 6 weeks! The owner said he took it for a test drive. He didn’t notice it felt like it didn’t have power steering?

I added another 12 oz of power steering fluid on Sunday, it now shows as full. It does leak a small amount, but that is secondary concern right now. Once it got full, it does not make the weird strained rubber on rubber sound. HOWEVER, when turning the wheel right at low speeds, the front wheels vibrate. It is enough that the whole car shakes. Does not happen when turning left, or at speed over say 15mph. When I called the shop to ask about this, he said that basically the steering system Ford put in these cars is crap. Not much can be done to prevent leaks, and may not be able to do much about the vibration other than switch the car to rack & pinion steering. The car is back with them now to see what they say.

What are everyone's thoughts a recommendations on this subject? I really appreciate any wisdom and advice.

See less See more
#2 ·
It sounds like they don't know what they're doing. You might need someone with more experience working on older cars. I did a Google search and found John West Auto's Raleigh Restoration Shop specializing in Muscle Car Restoration. They have a repair shop. They might be able to tell you what's going on.

#4 ·
I'm definitely searching for a new shop. I will check out John West's, as well as some other recommendations from co-workers. I was originally referred to Raleigh AutoCare by a judge (forgot his name) for Mustang Club of America shows. I assumed I could trust that recommendation.

#3 ·
First, when you say you added fluid, what did you use? The original was ATF, type F.

They may have the lower hoses crossed. The screaming is the PS trying to manhandle itself. And then you are just physically overriding all that.

The simple version of how all this works is: The engine drives the pump, pump sends pressurized fluid to control unit, when the wheel is turned the stud changes angle, allowing fluid to the ram thru one of the hoses, the fluid on the opposite side of the ram returns thru the other hose, and back up to the pump. When the wheel is turned the other way, the lower hoses swap functions.

There should not be any leaks. I will add that I had a small leak when I replaced all my hoses. But after several heat cycles is stopped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.