Ford Mustang Forum banner

Granada brakes dragging

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  mustangman1965 
#1 ·
I have Granada front discs on my car, and I've been driving it for about a year now with no issues. However when I have it jacked up, it's pretty hard to turn the rotors. I pulled the calipers off and cleaned and greased the heck out of the slides. It still seems to be dragging. I can yank on the caliper itself and make it so that it doesn't drag as bad, so it seems like they aren't sliding like they should. There is a spring that takes up the slack between the caliper and the bracket, it seems to put a ton of pressure on it to the point where it really doesn't want to move. Is this how it's supposed to be? The car rolls fine, it doesn't drag to the point to where I can tell while driving, but it takes both hands to turn the right rotor. The left is a little easier but still dragging. The pistons don't seem to be sticking. It's a disc master cylinder. I just repacked the wheel bearings and it spins like it should with the calipers removed. Any ideas?
Thanks!

#2 ·
OK, my thoughts....
First, discs by nature maintain a close relationship with rotors. Most likely, I would disassemble the rotors and check for corrosion in the bores and on the pistons. It possible they are not releasing pressure after the brakes are applied. While at it, when was the last time your brake fluid was changed?
You don't offer what year and make of this car. So, I can't offer any points about the master cylinder.
It's always helpful to provide basic history and details about you vehicle.

#7 ·
It's a Corvette disc master cylinder, manual brakes. The pushrod isn't hanging up, there's a little clearance in it. The hoses are about 2 years old, still fairly new. I'll pop the pistons out of the calipers and clean them up, hopefully it's just a bit corroded. The brake fluid is nasty, I just picked up some more fluid to flush the whole thing out. Thanks!

#8 ·
In case anyone else has this problem, the issue was with those caliper springs. I bent them down a bit flatter so that they still firmly hold the caliper in the bracket, but don't have enough tension to require a large hammer to install them like before. They release perfectly now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.