1142 Bulbs - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ivy66GT
  • 1 Post By K4JOE Joe

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

1142 Bulbs

Went to Napalm to get some back up light bulbs for Cherylene (70 Mustang).
The guy gave me double pole, double filament bulbs, looked like an 1157 but guy said they were 1142.
My original bulbs were double pole single filament.
I didn't buy them.
Would the double filament bulb provide better illumination when backing up or were they the wrong bulbs in the box?
He said that was all he had for 1142 bulbs.
What's the deal with the double pole?
Are the back up lights wired up in series or is it that there was not a good way to properly ground the back up lights?
Thanks, I'm really close to getting all the lights operational.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016
GT Member

I doubt the 1157 will fit in the backup light socket. The locating pins on the side of the 1142 are across from each other near the base of the bulb; the ones on the 1157 are staggered; i.e., one is higher than the other. I've always assumed they are two-pole because of the potential difficulty of getting a good ground on the rear valence, hence the ground wire that runs up into the trunk. At least that's the way it is on my '66.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016
PONY Member

^^^^^^

correct on every count.

Z

Galaxie 500
'65 K code Mustang
& a few '66 GT350's (1970-2012)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

So correct on the double pole, double filament 1142?
Correct on the ungrounded back up bulb?
That didn't really answer any of my questions.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Last edited by Makedust; 05-23-2016 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Double reply
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016
PONY Member

Just to re-state, you can't use the double filament bulb in the back up light socket regardless of whether it would provide more light or not (as you were asking). The pins on the bulb don't match the socket grooves. Sorry if this doesn't answer your question (again).

Z

Galaxie 500
'65 K code Mustang
& a few '66 GT350's (1970-2012)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I never even intended to use an 1157 bulb on the back up lights, just questioning what mr Napa was trying to sell me.
Double filament 1142.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

I didn't recognize Napalm - I know that as a flaming weapon made from jellied gasoline.

Both an 1142 and an 1157 are in a BA15 base: 15mm diameter, bayonet base. Both also have an S8 glass on them: S for 'straight sided', 8 means means the size of the glass is 8/8 inches (a full inch). Both have two electrical contacts but the similarity ends there.

An 1142 is a double CONTACT bulb but it is not a dual filament. The case is not part of the circuit on a 1142 so you need two pins to connect to the two ends of the filament. The side pins on an 1142 are at the same height so you can put it in the socket either direction you want. On an 1157 the case is ground and each contact is a different filament with each one being a different brightness. The 1157 pins are not at the same height so you can't put it in backwards. Look at an 1142 bulb: it obviously only has one filament inside. https://www.zoro.com/ge-lighting-min...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Why would Ford use an 1142? Instead of relying upon the bulb socket to provide the ground they ran two wires to the socket. One pin is +12, the other one is a ground. It really makes no difference which way its hooked up or which way the bulb goes in the socket.

My Chilton's book says that 1142s were used through 1969 but a 1970 used an 1156 backup light bulb. An 1156 is almost the same bulb with one electrical contact, an 1142 has two. Look in the socket you have. If it has a single contact in the bottom it uses an 1156. If there are two, it uses an 1142. 1157 are dual filament brake/turn signal bulbs.

BTW, double pole refers to switches and not light bulbs.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I never even intended to use an 1157 bulb on the back up lights, just questioning what mr Napa was trying to sell me.
Double filament 1142.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

There are no 1142 dual filament bulbs. Read what I wrote in post #8 again.

I have never seen a bulb that did not have its number stamped in the metal of the base. That will tell you if the bulb is what you actually want without relying upon a salesman to tell you what it is.
larryc94 likes this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Read what I posted in the original post: "1142 bulbs".
I didn't pull that number out of thin air.
That's from the bulb I pulled out of the back up light socket.
If this type of bulb was only used up to 69, then your resources are wrong.
You might want to try another website.
It's off of an original unmolested 1970.
I didn't ask for info on 1157 bulbs or the history of the bayonette style automotive bulb either.
I needed info from a knowledgable source on a 1142 backup bulb for a 70 mustang, any monkey can do a Google search.
I know what bulb I need, just don't know why Barney Fife at Napa was trying to give me something different.
Hopefully someone with a similar issue with this bulb will respond, and not someone trying to build up their posting rating
PONY Member
Classic Member

suggestion

Look and learn.

Look at bulb.

Learn from others
I agree with Ivy

"""""I have never seen a bulb that did not have its number stamped in the metal of the base""""

Look at NAPA bulb and see the number.

Joe
larryc94 likes this.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makedust View Post
I needed info from a knowledgable source on a 1142 backup bulb for a 70 mustang, any monkey can do a Google search.
Why not look in your shop manual and get over it?

You have been given more than enough information to solve your ill-explained problem. The info on the various bulbs is accurate and directly from a Sylvania catalog. If you can't figure out your problem from that then none of us can help you. Other than the picture of a bulb which you don't understand it had nothing to do with Google whatsoever. If you have a beef with NAPA then go to their store and rant but don't do it here.

An 1142 is the same item no matter what car it goes into.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member

OK, according to Ford, the Chilton's manual my neighbor gave me got it wrong. That's why you should use the correct Ford manual for your year. See the attachment. They changed to 1156 bulbs in 1969, not 1970. Just because it came out of a car doesn't mean it should have been there to begin with.

As someone has already said:

Quote:
Look in the socket you have. If it has a single contact in the bottom it uses an 1156. If there are two, it uses an 1142.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BkUp.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	520169  
GT Member

Perhaps obvious from Ivy66GT's post, but what has not yet been specifically mentioned is that you should never use a single contact bulb in a double contact socket. It can be done, but it will blow the fuse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page