Ford Mustang Forum banner

Instrument cluster lights

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  semperfido 
#1 ·
I have two questions. First my cluster lights will not turn on unless I turn the knob to right before it clicks on my interior light. Do I need a new switch or is this something that can be fixed? Second, I have a " belts" light on my dash that is on constantly if headlights are on. I have looked on the fire wall for a box that I have been told about that contains some sort of timer switch but it's not there. BTW 1968 coupe.

#2 ·
1. It sounds like the dimmer function is gone on your headlight switch. Take it out clean it, and test it on the bench. It's a cheap and easy replacement if you can't get it to work.

2. It was routine to disable the annoying seat belt warning lights/ buzzers back in the day. A previous owner probably did, then someone else saw a loose wire and plugged it in somewhere. Find the wire to the light and cut it, tape it, or remove the bulb, and be done with it.

#3 ·
Yadkin is correct about the annoying seat belt lights but the early ones were a little different. They actually had nothing to do with whether or not your seat belt was fastened. Those were just a light hooked up to a timer so that every time you started the car the Seat Belt light would come on as a reminder for 20 seconds or so. (I just timed ours.) The lights had no way to tell if you ever used your belt; it was just a gentle nag to remind you the car had belts. You learn pretty quickly to simply ignore the %^&*() light which is why I had to check just now to make sure ours still works; it does. I am assuming that the '68 version operated similar to the one for '66 since they look much alike.

For '66 the belt light was part of the Deluxe Seat Belt option. Ours is original and has never, ever had a problem. Why the resellers go on about the light bulb melting the lens is beyond me unless people stuffed oversized bulbs in them. As delivered from the factory the one we have has worked now for 50 years.

It sounds as if your timer has died and somebody intentionally wired it to the headlights. I am pretty sure it shouldn't have anything to do with the headlights. At night is the only time you can really see the light but for '66 it was wired to the ignition, not the headlights. Replacements are available but I have no idea how good they are since we have never needed a replacement. :)

67-68 SEAT BELT REMINDER LIGHT KIT

I have no idea what the originals used for a bulb. The '66 shop manual doesn't mention a seat belt light for a Mustang even though they were an option. Since the bulb has never burned out in ours I don't know what number it should be. I can't find that option in the various schematics either so it seems that Ford didn't put it very high on the documentation list.

#6 ·
Ivy, my light is actually on my cluster...
Makes you wonder why VCM advertised that as a 67-68 part?

By '68 they did show the light in the drawings once I found the right page. Its part of the Convenience System and its drawn to sort of indicate the relay is somewhere on the firewall. That drawing also gives you an indication of what the relay looked like. The function is the same as the earlier ones mounted in the lower dash except that the relay is not with the bulb.

Knowing that for '68 it was called a 'relay' I sorted through the Ford catalog and found the item you need. Relay for Instrument Panel Seat Belt Warning Indicator Lamp, number 10B924. It was used on Mustang, Fairlane and full-sized Fords starting in 1967. I believe it also indicates the same part was used on Thunderbirds starting in '67. With the part number you can now find it at NPD for $43 except they don't have a photo (to make sure what you get) and also say they are out of stock at all their warehouses. https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/seat_belt_warning_relay_kit_modern_replacement-198445-0.html

Since you can't find where yours was located it might help to know that Ford said it was to be mounted with a 10-12 x 1/2" screw, As Required. I.e., it was held in with whatever size screw, #10 or #12, they had handy. Held to what we don't know.

Knowing what its supposed to do you could build your own if you are handy with electronic timers and wiring.

Attachments

#8 ·
Tlm69 does the light only come on when head lights are on? If so the bulb behind that lens could be in the wrong spot, it may be for the back lights. I just rebuilt my 67 instrument cluster over the winter, which had the cover from a 68 on it and next to the seatbelt light was the brake warning light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.