Ford Mustang Forum banner

1966 Coupe Transmission Leak

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Print Dad 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! Its been a while since I have asked a question on here. So i finally got my coupe running and i took it to the exhaust shop to install my pipes and muffler. After I drove it home (about 5 miles) I parked the car and noticed that I had transmission fluid leaking out EVERYWHERE. I tried to get under the car to identify where it was coming from but I didn't have any luck. Does any one have any ideas of the best way to troubleshoot this issue or where to start?

Thanks in advance

#3 ·
Well, if you would update your profile so we can see something about your car, like what trans you have, we can better advise you.

#4 ·
I would start by wiping off the transmission fluid. Secondly, leaks are in two categories, engine running and engine not running, so I would let it sit for a few hours and see if you have any drips, if none, then start the engine, and check for leaks. What puzzles me is was it leaking before it went to the exhaust shop, if not, then check the transmission cooler lines from the radiator to the side of the transmission, they are steel lines, but they can be nicked or broken if they are the original one, and they are do not have hi pressure fluid in them, only the fluid that circulates to the torque convertor, if I remember right. If the line has a nick and is not broken, if they did it get them to replace the line or pay for replacing it, if it is not their fault, then the ways to fix it are to cut out the bad if it is very small and put in a coupling, or take a piece of flexible fuel line slit down one side put over the hole and put a hose clamp over it which is a temporary fix, or to clean the line where the damage is and wrap it with copper wire and then solder the copper wire to the steel line (which is how we fixed them in the old days) it may not be the prettiest but it works. If it is not leaking on the lines, then look at the bell housing inspection cover hole (leaks here are usually the front pump seal), then the shift linkage has small seals, the tailshaft housing has a seal. Post your results. My 2 cts. Good Luck.

#5 ·
Hello ssg66stang,
Not really much to add to what the others have said
but wanted to throw out a few tips and ideas

1. - If the train was not leaking before the exhaust work - -take the car right back to them and have them fix it for free.
Do not let them jerk you around.

2. - If you want to investigate further on your own. Get a can of
gunk (spray cleaner) or starter fluid and wipe the area clean.
Then as already suggested - look for leaks without the motor running
then if no leaks - start the motor - -and look again

It would seem likely that the exhaust shop hit a line

Print Dad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.