Ford Mustang Forum banner

Mystery Ground (green wire)

861 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Makedust 
#1 ·
Hello..
Little history first.
68 Mustang, early year.
Was a 6cyl is now a 8cyl (engine swap)
Wire loom is original and seems in good condition. Ignition plug is the replacement version so has a red/yellow wire tieing into "PINK resistor wire and black/green wire and then there is a Red/pink wire that goes to nothing. It's just capped off.
A new plug was put in at some time obviously since it was all spliced in. I have bypassed the pink wire to supply 12volts to pertronixs ignition.

My question: I found a Green wire that was grounded to one of the bolts that holds the brake pedal to the fire wall... seemed odd... Didn't know if this was correct or not... looks pretty old in it's method but was hoping someone out there has seen this and can confirm if this is correct or not.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
So I was able to trace the green wire from the firewall to the back of the windshield wiper motor. I'm not sure as to why it was added. I know ALL history with this car and it has NEVER had a CB in it...thanks for the corny comment.... I'm the second owner of the vehicle as my father was the first so it's been in the family since day one and I know everything that has ever happened to car. Neither I or he added this wire. I know that the ignition key plug was replaced, and then there was stereo installation people that have had their hands on it back in the day.. It has been serviced for various things many years (30) ago at a couple of ford dealerships.. "Mel Clayton Ford" and/or "Don Sanderson Ford". Then it sat in a backyard for 15 more after not being used any longer... Engine had over 200K on it... now I have it... and I'm slowly going through everything.

Any how... this Ground wire (green) looks to be as old as the windshield wiper motor it self...
Why would the casing be grounded to the firewall... I've never seen this done on other mustangs???
Any ideas out there as to why?

#5 ·
You are lucky to have the background info for your car, most start with nothing.
I know when I replaced wiper motor it had a ground, black not green though.
Wiper bracket has rubber bushings at attachment bolts for vibration and bushings at the wiper linkage that would keep from getting good ground to the motor.
Probably a replacement wiper motor just with different color ground wire.

#6 ·
That makes sense.. Thank you for your reply.
With updating the gauges and replacing anything worn or suspect, I've been questioning everything that looks out of place.
Little things like that ground wire throw me for a loop when I can't find it on the schematic.
thanks for your help.:grin:

#7 ·
Yeah, you're going to find strange stuff as you continue to explore.
I unwrapped my original dash harness and found an uncapped hot wire folded up and hidden within the strands of wires.
I'm still clueless as to where this wire was supposed to go to.
Keep on hunting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.