Ford Mustang Forum banner

66 Mustang 289 Headers/Power Steering Problem

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  oldkid49 
#1 ·
Having an issue with my 1966 Mustang 289 header reinstall... Purchased a set of well reviewed headers off Amazon and gave it to my local classic car repair shop (previous headers had dents from the power steering knocking into them). Just received a call from them saying these headers do not fit either and that when you turn right the power steering bumps into the headers again...

Any help/suggestions? I am seeing some posts about a power steering bracket that supposedly helps with this?

*Sorry for my ignorance, but I won this car a couple of years back in a charity raffle and am still getting familiar with the nuances of owning a classic Mustang.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
In all honesty, i believe the issue is the ps slave cylinder.
http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-slave-cylinder-lowering-bracket-1965-1970/p/SCB/
If that sounds like your issue id go for it,if not then i would see if the bump stops are correct. If the rack limiters are not set correctly it will allow you to do just what is happening now. I know on my mustang(newer model) it uses plastic rack limiters which rest on the inner tierods. On the early models i believe there is a metal peg that is on the knuckle that contacts the lower control arm. If it is the second option, weld on some more to keep the wheels from turning so far. Good luck, keep us posted.

#3 ·
Unless you go with custom headers or shorties, that is pretty much the norm.........and denting a header a little to make them fit does not and I repeat does not cause any loss of flow or power....although us old timers have known this for decades, finally the folks at Engine Masters decided to demo just exactly how bad it really is.....hmmmm, didn't quite show what they thought it would......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azPKIjxmmdU

#5 ·
My $0.02
Common Problem with full length headers and stock power steering, You need the slave cylinder lowering bracket that 6stang02 pointed out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.