Ford Mustang Forum banner

High engine temps

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  zray 
#1 ·
Hey guys, having issues with my mustang not cooling down. Setup is a 347 stroker, edelbrock performer rpm heads, griffen radiator, be cool water pump, and flex-lite electric fan. The fan runs constantly but it just doesnt seem to do much. Idling at a light results in temps over 200.

#2 ·
Where do you have your ignition timing? Do you have full or timed vacuum going to the canister at idle?

#4 ·
How much over 200 ? Do you have a modern temp. gauge, like Autometer ? The stock thermostat that came in these cars was a 192 , 200 degrees is not overheating, it's normal. The question is, how much over 200 are you seeing. If it's 210-215 sitting in traffic, that's also in the normal or acceptable range.

That said, you are making more HP than a stock engine with that 347 ci engine. The Griffin radiator is a great start. I'd recomend a FlowKooler water pump over the one you have, also it sounds like your electric fan is not up to the job. What is the CFM rating on it ? As others have already mentioned, a fan shroud has to be matched to the fan very carefully.
Are you using antifreeze ? You can reduce engine temp. very cheaply by running 100% distilled water + water wetter.

Z

#5 ·
suggestion

You may want to try this:
I have used Cascade dish detergent ( about a cup) for non aluminium Radiators.

The following is from Simple Green site:

Cleaning Tips

ALUMINUM - RADIATORS
DIRECTIONS:

To clean your aluminum radiator or cooling system with Simple Green Pro HD:

Mix 1 part Simple Green Pro HD to 3 parts water.
Drain the cooling system.
Flush the system with clean water.
Fill the radiator with the Simple Green Pro HD solution.
Run the engine for the manufacturer's recommended amount of time.
Flush the system with clean water.
Fill the radiator with appropriate solution.

Always follow manufacturer's complete instructions for cleaning and maintenance.

- -- - - -------- - - - -
Be sure Heater inlets and outlets are open, and flush several time with plain water after engine cools down.
You may want to check thermostat or replace it.
I usually remove thermostat when flushing radiator to let more water pass through the system. If you want you can also use a cup of baking soda for the first flush after cleaning to remove any acid. Refill with Distilled water and anti-freeze and not tap water for finial fill.

Hope this helps,
Joe

#6 ·
Thanks guys, the only shroud is on the electric fan. It is auto but the trans is on its own cooler. The water pump is the flow kooler, couldn't remember the name last night. Ignition timing is 14 and 36 full advance, it doesn't have the vacuum advance hooked up, just mechanical. Temps are pushing 220, and traffic up here is nothing compared to the lower 48 maybe 5 min sitting at a light. I'm running a antifreeze and water mixture, with some water wetter. I'll have to check on the fan cfm, been a few years since I bought it.

#10 ·
Ignition timing is 14 and 36 full advance, it doesn't have the vacuum advance hooked up, just mechanical.
Ok. That's why I asked about your timing earlier. While it's perfectly fine to run an engine without vacuum advance, it's going to use more fuel than it normally would at anything less than a full load. More fuel equals more heat; it's that simple. You either have to utilize the vacuum advance or upgrade your cooling system to accommodate the additional heat.

#7 ·
You need a shroud that encapsulates the entire/majority of your rad. The little thing on the fan is not going to do it.
I was running hot with a single 16" summit fan and went to the dual fans off a 99' cougar and wow what a difference. It's actually cools.
Do a test, put your hand up near the grill. You should be able to feel suction from 4-5" away if you fans are pulling enough.
Do you not have the trans cooler mounted in front of the rad?

#9 ·
Did the fan come as a set from Griffin with the radiator ? I think Griffin makes a 2 fan with shroud system for their radiator. I think that should fix your issue. I know you need antifreeze up there in the winter, but now you should be using 100% distilled water with water wetter.

Z

#13 ·
OK guys I figured out what most of my problem was. At some point I moved the fan to the engine side, I didn't notice at the time but there is just enough curve to the blades that it's a one direction fan. Put it back to the front of the radiator and now it stays around 180-190. Thanks guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.