Ford Mustang Forum banner

68 I6 issues

552 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  rex1965 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to this forum, so please excuse me if my questions may seem dumb to you, but I could really use some help on these. The foremost issue I would like to solve has to do with my carb (I think). I know it is an aftermarket replacement because the originals were double pump and this one is a single. Any identification has long since worn away, but I was wondering if I should replace it or repair it. The car is tough to start, I need to rev it or else it dies, and during acceleration it lugs, I can feel it losing power and then gaining it again, almost like an intermittent fuel flow. I am not missing, and my vaccum pressure is good, so I am at a loss as to what the issue is. I also have a problem with my fuel. If I don't start the car every so often (roughly five days) the fuel all runs back to the tank and I can only start the car by detaching the rubber line from the fuel pump and blowing compressed air in it and then sticking it back on the pump. I'm pretty sure this means I have a small air leak somewhere, but I'm not positive. The last question I have had to do with my clutch. The pedal releases and engages really high, right at the brake pedal in fact. Is this where it is supposed to be? If not how would I adjust this? Thanks, and sorry for rambling!

#3 ·
I don't like the fact that you have to blow air from the pump into the tank to get things working again. This indicates the fuel pickup tube inside the tank is getting blocked up or the screen is clogging. That would account for the lack of fuel in the system.

A bad pump may let the gas drain from the line to the carb, but your fix does not match that problem.

One other thing to check is the rubber hose between the sending unit and the main fuel line. They get old and can leak or get soft and close up with the pump action.

If the hose is good, then pull the sending unit. If it is clogged up, then pull the tank.

A photo of the old sending unit from my '66.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
Start a new thread for the clutch adjustment, or look through some the previous posts on clutch adjustment.

The clutch should have 7/8-1 1/8" of free play at the pedal (the distance of the pedal from all the way up to down where throwout bearing contacts the fingers on the clutch plate) this is best felt by using your hand on the clutch pedal. As the clutch wears the pedal free play is reduced, so it eventually reaches a point that is has no free play and is partially disengaged all the time. Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.