Ford Mustang Forum banner

Torq Thrust 15 x 7 and Wilwood rear disc fitment?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  paul289 
#1 ·
Has anybody used either Original Torq Thrust or Torq Thrust D 15 x 7 wheels with 3.75" backspace with either of these Wilwood rear disc brake kits? This is for a 65 Mustang.

1- Wilwood Dynapro Low-Profile Rear Parking Brake kit, P/N 140-11403 (they say can use with 14" wheels), or
2- Wilwood Dynalite Rear Parking Brake kit, P/N 140-9282 (they say can use with 15" wheels).

I would prefer using #2 as I already have the 15" wheels.

If so, any problems with installation, clearances, hose routing, etc.?

Thanks,
Ron

#3 ·
I do indeed have the TTD 15x7 on my '66 coupe, and a Wilwood rear disc set. I got the 140-11403, but I was initially confused because the photo in the Summit catalog doesn't look anything like what I have. One is that I don't see the parking brake in the photo. The photo for 140-9282 looks more like what I have, except I don't have drilled rotors. It turns out Summit has the wrong photo. Here's the page from the Wilwood site, which is exactly what I have.

Wilwood High Performance Disc Brakes - Rear Brake Kit Product Number: 140-11403

One lesson I learned the hard way: Be sure and adjust the parking brake pads before you permanently mount the rotors and calipers. Adjust them out until you can't slide the rotor on, then back off no more than needed to slide the rotor on. There is a slot on the back where you can just barely get to the star wheel, but in the end it was easier to remove the wheels and calipers so I could see what I was doing. Wilwood's excellent instructions tell you to use Red Loctite on the caliper bolts, which requires heat to break them loose if you need to remove the calipers. I chose to use Blue instead, and was glad I did in this case.

I had no problems, but I have Lokar parking brake cables, as described in a previous thread:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/classic-tech/821865-brake-rotor-question.html

#7 ·
I have the second kit, but with the Dynapro calipers, and they fit my Cragar D-windows, but just barely. There was about a quarter inch of clearance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.