Ford Mustang Forum banner

68 289 trying to overheat

708 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  stlwagon 
#1 ·
Hello, so, i replaced the stock intake and 2 barrel carb yesterday with a Edelbrock performance intake and Edelbrock 4 barrel carb. I've been driving it yesterday as well as today and have been noticing the temperature climb much higher than it would before the upgrades. Normally, i could let the car sit and idle for 10 minutes and never worry about the temp cresting higher than halfway up the gauge. Now, after starting it up, the temp runs all the way up to almost max out, drops back down to half, and slowly starts creeping up unless I'm moving at least 25-30. I'm not really sure where exactly I've gone wrong putting this back together, so any help would be appreciated, as I'm now somewhat afraid to drive my baby as i normally would.

#2 ·
A couple of thoughts. First you changed the metal the sensor is screwed into. Second, you added more fuel to the fires.

Do an ohms check between the base of the sensor and the intake, then the neg terminal of the battery. See if you have created a grounding problem when you installed the sensor.

Also you may have to move you timing just a bit.

#5 ·
Did you replace the thermostat? Does the new manifold have the sensor in the exact same position?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.