Ford Mustang Forum banner

install a temperature probe for electric fan?

14K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  walskyrl 
#1 ·
hi, my mustang got a conversation to an electric fan together with a champion aluminum radiator.

my mechanic has the problem that he don´t know where to mount the temperature probe for the electric fan controller (see photo). You could screw it in the place where the probe for the temperature gauge sits in the engine. but than my temperature gauge would´d work anymore

has anyone an idea?

thanks,
Marcus

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
No problem! Just make sure the threads for that port are the same as your temp sending unit.

#7 ·
There are some sensors (Derale PWM) that are pushed between the radiator fins near the lower outlet, but yours is one that threads into the intake somehow. As mentioned the threaded thermostat housing is probably easiest to add on. Good luck :grin:

#9 ·
@ zray
is it the bolt with the blue head in the photos?

wow, I think this is the first time I see webers on a mustang! real clean engine bay. must sound amazing!

@ walskyrl
that what I noticed too, That would be a way more easy option. but now its to late ;)

#10 ·
Yes the blue "bolt" is a threaded fitting that screws into the thermostat housing port. I can't remember if I had to use an adaptor for it to fit, but I think I did.

Thanks for the Weber compliment. I usually go with a vintage Paxton supercharger to jazz up a HiPo engine, so this time I wanted a different challenge.

Z

#12 ·
I agree that is a good place for a temperature gauge probe. Its not a very good place for an electric fan switch.

If your thermostat is working correctly that spot will give you about the same 180F (with a 180 t-stat) in all kinds of driving conditions from freezing weather to a summer day. That is not an indication that your radiator needs more cooling air. Far from it, your radiator may be doing next to nothing with hardly any water going through it on a cold day. But if you switch your fans from the temp in the thermostat housing they will be running a lot when there is no need for a fan at all.

The water temp in the bottom of the radiator is an excellent indicator of when your radiator needs more help. If its not close to 180F down there then you need no fan at all. I drive a car with an electric fan switched from the bottom of the radiator; it has no other fan. That fan rarely ever comes on except on extremely hot days even though the temp gauge reads close to 180 all year round.

The probe pushed through the radiator core near the lower outlet as mentioned above would be a better way to switch an electric fan.

#13 ·
Ivy, the installation instructions for my fan said to install the probe as close to the inlet as possible. Do you recommend I change that?

#14 ·
I own two cars with factory electric fans. Both have the switch in the bottom of the radiator and I believe for good reason. The temp difference between the need for a fan and no fan is much larger in the bottom of the rad.

Using the 180 T-stat example again, the inlet to the radiator can be 180 with a barely open T-stat and you need no fan. The bottom of the rad will then be 150-160. As the t-stat continues to open the inlet will remain near 180 and the bottom will get increasingly warmer as you approach rad capacity. Its only when the bottom gets warm that you need a fan. In any case there is probably a 20F difference in what set temp your switch should use between top and bottom. And if you aren't on the radiator side of the T-stat housing then a probe in that spot won't work well at all.

#15 ·
I installed fan switch,in thermostat housing on 2 previous builds and had to change both to temp sensor that went to intake bolt.(looks like a wiring ring terminal)The fan sensor located in a thermostat housing will constantly cycle on-off as the thermostat opens/closes and water doesn't maintain constant temp in that location.I like the fan controller system sold by Jegs.I tried the Derale ones and had to replace it twice in one month(sent back under warranty)and went to the Jegs #52126 and haven't had anymore issues,but that is for a dual fan set-up .

#18 ·
While it's expensive at ~$160 at Summit, the Derale PWM lets you adjust the temperature the fan comes on at. You can download the installation instructions to see how they install the temp sensor at the lower hose fitting on the radiator. It's a bit more gentle in starting the fan as well (not simply ON/OFF). :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.