Ford Mustang Forum banner

1966 tires change

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  rromero1012 
#1 ·
I have a 1966 Mustang with tire 205-70-14,I do not find that measure, the vendor offers me 215-70-14, this tire is wider, does anyone know if I would have problems with this measure? I would appreciate your help.

#2 ·
I used a 195/70-14 for many years on my '66 GT350. On that car I don't think a 215 anything would've fit without altering the fenders.

They were the Pirelli P-3, a darn good tire with much more traction than the BFG Radial T/A rtht I had been using. I don't think tirerack has them anymore, but Sears might

Z

#3 ·
I had similar tires on my '66 and they rubbed on the upper A-frame at the ball joint. They are just to wide and not a good idea.

#5 ·
Another thing for the OP to remember is the well known variation between seemingly identical cars. The post above by Charles Reeves illustrates this perfectly. We both are using our ownl '66 Shelby GT350's as examples. On my car a 215 car would not fit in front, on his car it does. Although he is running a 15" and I was using the stock 14" wheels I don't feel that would've made a difference in my case.

Something as minor as alignment can impact the tire clearance. Also the Shelby UCA relocation (i.e. The Shelby/Arning drop) has an impact on tire fitment. I had te drop on my '66 GT350, and still didn't have room up front for 215 or 225 tires. I could have fit a 205, but the tire I wanted only was available in the 195/70-14 size. And as it turned out, I was very satisfied with the look and the performance of that size These car vary, and like it not, if you are wanting the widest tire possible, be prepared for some experimentation.

It bears pointing out, that on my '65 K code fastback, a 215/60-15 Avon CR6ZZ tire fit perfectly

Z

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.