Ford Mustang Forum banner

67 front frame resto/upgrade

779 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Uteskid124 
#1 ·
Ive had my 67 coupe for about 20yrs and i guess im finally gonna devote some time and money into it. It has a laundry list of work but i figure i will just start at the front and work back. So as it sits the front subframe is shot on both sides. I did pick up frame rail shock tower assemblies a few years ago from Cal. Mustangs. The question that faces me now is what suspension do i go with and will it change what i need to do with the frame. I dont have a huge budget to throw at the car so a fancy front clip package is out, but i do want to make sure i plan it all out with components that work well together. I plan on putting a stroked small block and 5 speed in, and just driving it on the street(for now). All advice and input will help Thanks

#2 ·
you say for now and a stock set up well work fine. but if you plan to race it later then you will have to change. doing it twice, imo its better to spend a little more now then having to do it twice.

#3 ·
I'm going Griggs with my suspension, but I understand that's not within everyone's budget. I'm not a huge fan of MII suspensions, mostly because the control arm mounts are likely to crack if you beat on it. TCP or Global West are probably good options, and you can piece them together a little at a time.

Structural upgrades are pretty important. I'm considering adding extra metal to my frame rails, considering just how thin they are. The frame rails aren't much thicker than the floor pans, really. So I'm gonna add some sheet metal to the top and bottom, as well as the outside of the frame rail. Subframe connectors are a must, and adding torque boxes would help, too.

#5 ·
The only real fault, in the stock suspension, is if you have PS, it is only controllable at best, if you are planning on having PS, then I would consider an upgrade to rack and pinion, an the associated suspension to make it work if you have to. My 2 cts. I have manual steering, and I think its great, driving straight down the road takes little effort, it only becomes work when parking on asphalt. My 2 cts. Good Luck.

#6 ·
I kinda like the M11 stuff from speedway, its 1/2 the cost of TCI and is equally as good quality. It never hurts to add stregnth to the frame where you can but out of the box non motorcross the mustang 2 kits work very well or at least have for me in the last 6 cars but they all get sub frame connectors and additional metal on the inner front rail to the torque boxes. I m doing a boss 429 tribute car now and I also put convertible 69 tq boxes and inner rockers.
I agree with the advice of not doing it twice, do it and be done which frees up money for other stuff you want to customize/restore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.