Ford Mustang Forum banner

What kind of fuel should I use ?

11K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  wildstarrman 
#1 ·
Hello I have recently purchased a 2015 Ford Mustang ecoboost premium and currently don't know which fuel to use ?

The owners Manual says to use 87 but recommends me to use 93 due to the turbo and the ecoboost engine . Which should I use also what gas stations are recommended in Ontario Canada

#2 ·
Sounds like the manual is telling you that you can safely use 87 octane. However, best performance will come from using 93 octane. Personally, I would use the 93 octane. Just one opinion.

#6 ·
It all depends on your driving style. Your owners manual says you can use 87 just fine. If you want the best in performance, then go with 93. Basically, I'd say if you just foodle around town and drive it easy, you'll be fine with the 87 and will never notice any difference. Drive it hard? 93. Or at least that's how I understand it. 93 may give you better throttle response and maybe even a few more HP (nothing significant). I ran my 2011 GT on 87 for the first month after I bought it and then switched to 93. Honestly didn't notice that much of a difference.

#7 ·
I get crappy mileage with PetroCan gas and some friends have noticed that as well. I prefer Esso generally. I have seen an Esso tanker dropping gas off at a Superstore and the gas attendant said they use Esso gas. I use 87 in my 07 GT and am happy with it. I think if you change octane levels you need to run 2 or 3 tanks for the PCU to re-learn its parameters so you can feel the difference. Try all 3 and see how the vehicle performs. I tried the 93 and didn't really notice that much difference but I don't drive my car that hard either and I have an 87 tune . Also - I don't like the much higher cost of the 93 fuel. The cost benefit ratio just isn't there -for me but with your vehicle you might.

#10 ·
These newer cars can "self tune" if you will to the octane you put in. Speaking from owning a 2011 GT and my 2013 Boss 302. I know in my 2011 it said the same thing you are reading in the manual. I always put 93 because well it is a Mustang and why did I get it if I wasn't going to occasionally "get on it" and it clearly states recommended using 93 when driving more aggressive. For the Boss I am not sure what the manual states, but on the gas door it says 91+ so 93 is always used...

here 93 is 50 cents per gallon more
I am not sure if you are saying it is ONLY .50 more or if you are saying it is .50 cents more and that is to much to spend on it... If the latter then why buy a $30,000+ car if you aren't willing to spend a little extra in gas? I always scratch my head when I hear people complaining because they bought a 30K+ sports car and then complain because they have to pay a little more in gas... Like really? hahaha Just my .02 for the day and I hope I don't offend anyone with my opinion as that is not the intent.

Any other thoughts or word of advice ?
What gas stations would you recommend with better fuel efficiency?
They are all about the same, but I know Ford used to recommend BP back in the 2006 time era when they put "Ford recommends BP" on all their gas caps. I personally use BP as my go to station simple out of habit from those days and I have a BP rewards credit card so that helps loyalty as well. Shell is my second choice station as it is recommended by your top foreign car companies like Ferrari and the likes.

I think you should run 93 in it because of the turbo. Its not much more expensive, Fuel economy won't differ to much from station to station.
Exactly my thoughts.

Among the reasons of why I refuse to buy a turbocharged vehicle, the additional cost for the high-octane fuel requirement is one of them.

I recommend top tier gas. Look here: Licensed Brands | Top Tier Gas
Yeah turbo cars are much more sensitive to things then other cars when it comes to gas and etc.. Also why I have gone back and forth so much on a EcoBoost Mustang. Not because of the gas requirement, but that paired with other concerns.

#14 · (Edited)
why buy a $30,000+ car if you aren't willing to spend a little extra in gas? I always scratch my head when I hear people complaining because they bought a 30K+ sports car and then complain because they have to pay a little more in gas... Like really? hahaha Just my .02 for the day and I hope I don't offend anyone with my opinion as that is not the intent.
^^^ This 100%. When I bought my '17 GT fuel economy was so far down the list it was a non-issue for me. It is what it is.

#11 ·
There are so many performance benefits to a factory turbo car that offset the consequence of having to run 93 octane. And besides like others have said, these cars have the ability to adapt to conditions so you can use 87 for easy driving.

#12 ·
since this is the fuel economy section.

you will not improve the economy using premium gas. Your lowest cost per km will be using 87 octane. The direct injection and tuning prevents any damage due to lower octane.

My wifes Escape has the 2.0EB. it only gets 87.

#13 ·
Your statements are not exactly true... Under exact same driving habits you will in fact get better overall miles per gallon with premium on the newer mustangs. Now the over all cost per mile will yes still be higher with 93 over 87 as the purchase cost of 93 is higher so it is a win/lose comparing 87-93 and just depends on what you are considering. 93 though will net you better MPG, more performance gains, and "safer" for a high compression turbo motor like the ecoboost.

Just my .02 of course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.