Ford Mustang Forum banner
G

Reaction score

Marketplace Rating
(0.0 - 0 reviews)

Profile posts Latest activity Discussions Buy & Sell Reviews Media Albums About

• · Registered
    1,594 Posts
    coils 1 & 6 fire together, coils 3 & 5 fire together, coils 1 & 7 fire together and coils 2 & 8 fire together

On the 4.6L during the firing order of 1,3,7,2,6,5,4,8 all 8 spark plugs will fire during 1 engine revolution. The system is really 4 coils with 2 plugs firing on each coil pair, if that makes sense. So you have lost the +12vdc or -12vdc to the 3&5 coil pack. Good luck and I hope that helps.

· Registered
    1,594 Posts
    Spark plugs 3 & 5 fire at the same time (which is why they call the system "waste" spark) because 2 coils fire at the same time, one is on the power stroke and the other the exhaust stroke which is the wasted spark... here is a picture of the coil assembly and the firing order. Make sure all the grounds and power wires are good. I bet your coil power wire or ground has a break or loose wire which is causing both cylinders not to fire. If one fires, the both will unless the coil has failed internally. Here is the link: http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm61/grn00gt/DSC03352.jpg

· Registered
    1,594 Posts
    Hi Pedro,
    The 96-98 had the waste spark system, so I will have to do a little research and get back to you. Sounds like the only thing that hasn't been checked/changed is the harness from the computer to the engine compartment. Make sure all the grounds are good. How did you narrow it down to cylinders 3 & 5? The more information you can provide, the better.

· Registered
    0 Posts
    hi...my name is pedro...i have a 96 ford mustang gt...nd the problem im having is that one of the coil is not throwin any spark to 3 nd 5...i have already changed the spark plugs, the spark wires, the coils, the engine hardness nd i even bought a new computer nd i still cant find the problem......i hope u can help me with this problem....thanks.....
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…