Group buy on caliper covers - Page 4 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member

Show or Go?

For those focused on performance as the criteria, with "show" low down on their priority list, this sort of simple mod will probably never make their to-do list.

For those who are more into polishing their ride to a perfect gleam rather than thrashing it in 4 wheel drifts around hairpin curves at Road Atlanta, such a modification makes perfect sense.

As a beautification item, it boils down to what is "pretty" in the eye of the beholder.

I consider it good value for the effort and expenditure. I would hope that the company might also come out with other dress up items of a similar nature that could fill some of the gaps in the aftermarket as well.

Welcome Home to AFM, MGP!

tripleblack

"You can never be free until you let yourself go."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Caliper Covers

I've been quite amused by some of the responses regarding the caliper covers by MGP. It always amazes me what people assume without first educating themselves on the subject it doesn't matter if it's a toothpick or a medical disease. All of us need to read and find the facts without first bashing a product, person, belief or idea.

I like the idea of caliper covers for several reasons, one being I've spent more than my share of afternoons painting my calipers with the so-called high temp paint they we all can buy from your local auto parts store. After reading and following the instructions to a "T" the paint never held up, chipping and peeling was always a factor and I got tired of constantly touching up my calipers with paint to didn't work. Now some of you will say "why don't you get them powder coated". Too expensive and time consuming. I was gun ho on getting my calipers powder coating until I called my local powder coating shop and they told me that I needed to disassemble my calipers....WHAT! That means I needed to have them rebuilt with new seals...Mo Money Mo Money. So now my car is down for 2-3 weeks. So the other debate is why don't you get REAL Brembros!! Now you must be kidding me some of us don't want to spend the extra money for premium gas now we want to spend more than $4,000 for a big brake kit. So how did I come up with 4K for brakes you ask? You forgot to factor in the cost of the brakes along with a new set of wheels and tires that will fit over your nice shiny Brembros. Most of the after market wheels for our Stangs do not offer the clearance for a big brake kit. Remember you want to run or stop with the big dogs so you have to pay. A good friend of mine told me about a comparison test with a GT500 vs Mustang GT that has been modified. In the GT Mustang all they did was change the stock brake pads to Hawk and the GT stoppped in a shorter distance then the GT500 with it's shiny new 4 piston Brembros. This is a fact see the link with the video. Just a set of Hawk pads.

SEE THIS: Mustang Melee, Part 2

The final reason why I like the MGP Caliper Covers is it's a product that is made in the U.S.A. Maybe some of you don't realize just how much stuff that we buy isn't made here on this soil. Our country is struggling due to importing and outsourcing of jobs and products. Have you ever called your credit card company and the person that answers the phone you can't seem to understand them.....it's another country my friend. The BIG Dogs for the big money ran their little tails overseas to China and a bunch of other countries to
make cheap and sell high. Everyone in this forum knows somebody that has lost a job and maybe a house due to the Big Dogs running to a foreign for manufacturing. It make me SICK.

PLEASE support our US companies and what they're trying to do and that's give jobs to people here in this country, not China.

I'm "Detroitmuscle and" that's my opinion.

DetroitMuscle
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009 Thread Starter
MGP
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleblack View Post
Show or Go?

For those focused on performance as the criteria, with "show" low down on their priority list, this sort of simple mod will probably never make their to-do list.

For those who are more into polishing their ride to a perfect gleam rather than thrashing it in 4 wheel drifts around hairpin curves at Road Atlanta, such a modification makes perfect sense.

As a beautification item, it boils down to what is "pretty" in the eye of the beholder.

I consider it good value for the effort and expenditure. I would hope that the company might also come out with other dress up items of a similar nature that could fill some of the gaps in the aftermarket as well.

Welcome Home to AFM, MGP!
Our company has over 25 years of engineering experience. We welcome your ideas for new products. Keep in mind that we have a product that is truely unique, not another spoiler. Send me your suggestions via PM.

Thank you for your constructive input. You are correct that people do prioritize their car projects differently based on their own personal taste. We have experienced many people come to us that they need caliper covers now and have been waiting for this kind of product for a long time because painting their calipers were last on their list.

Happy New Year!

Gary Meade
MGP Caliper Covers

Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Bethelism
Thank you so much Cardinal and MGP for your researched and concise information. While I don't think that this modification is for me (as I'd rather put the money towards some Brembos ), I think that this is a a superb product for beautification of an otherwise potentially ugly piece of machinery.

Thanks!

Proud Driver of Sheila - 2005 Satin Silver GT
Member of the Silver Mustang Registry SMR# 0518

Check out my profile for the latest mods.....
All the work here is done by a broad!
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitmuscle View Post
The final reason why I like the MGP Caliper Covers is it's a product that is made in the U.S.A. Maybe some of you don't realize just how much stuff that we buy isn't made here on this soil. Our country is struggling due to importing and outsourcing of jobs and products. Have you ever called your credit card company and the person that answers the phone you can't seem to understand them.....it's another country my friend. The BIG Dogs for the big money ran their little tails overseas to China and a bunch of other countries to
make cheap and sell high. Everyone in this forum knows somebody that has lost a job and maybe a house due to the Big Dogs running to a foreign for manufacturing. It make me SICK.

PLEASE support our US companies and what they're trying to do and that's give jobs to people here in this country, not China.

I'm "Detroitmuscle and" that's my opinion.

David Vela
Apprentice

So have any members actually installed a set of these caliper covers? I would like to see them on some mustangs. Looks like a great product.

2011 Black Mustang GT CS 7/05/2010(Not original order)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page