Linking Videos vs Embedding Videos - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019 Thread Starter
GT Member

Linking Videos vs Embedding Videos

I'm trying to figure out how to link to a video (YouTube) without embedding a player frame in my post. Seems to be an automatic feature?

In most cases, yes, I think it's preferable to embed the video here, to save the reader the trouble of leaving the site or opening up a new window/tab to watch. But sometimes I just want to mention a video in passing, without drawing too much attention to it. Just an "oh by the way, watch this when you get a chance" sort of thing, instead of spotlighting the video so prominently, as if it's the focal point of my post. How can I provide a link without the forum automatically embedding it and taking up so much screen space?

I'm using the post editor's "insert link" tool, which usually just attaches a simple hyperlink to a line of text. But if I make that target link a YouTube video, it automatically embeds for me. I found this older thread with some examples of the kind of text-only YouTube links that I'm trying to post, but I can't seem to duplicate whatever it is they did. I even tried to quote their posts in hopes of seeing the formatting code, but it's the same [ URL="YouTubeVideoAddress"]display text[ /URL] (note: I added spaces to keep this code from formatting).

Here's what displays if I just click "insert link" and paste the YouTube address:

And here's what happens if I use any other sort of text and try to link it to the same YouTube video:

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019
PONY Member

You can just leave out part of the address or change the syntax of it if you just want the text.
youtu.be/tOjH-yoEJe0
paste it in the browser to see it.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019 Thread Starter
GT Member

Well yeah, that's always an option. But if I'm going to provide a link, I feel that it should at least be clickable, just out of common courtesy. Just trying to figure out how to do that without putting a big embedded player in your face.

1995 Mustang GT (5.0), daily driver
1995 GMC C2500 (5.7), alternate daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page