Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Mustang II > Mustang II Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Introductions| Mustang Lounge | Mustang II Talk | Mustang II Tech | Mustang Tech | Tech | Racing | Regional

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 05-13-2010   #1 (permalink)
dbren is offline Rookie

dbren's Country Flag
Burnet   Texas
dbren is on a distinguished road
Default Mustang II front wheel drive setup?

I want to use a Mustang II front suspension on a ground-up project. It will be lightweight, front wheel drive.
I expect to use a pushrod to an inboard coilover. Has anyone here ever seen a front drive steering knuckle used with the Mustang II suspension?
Thanks,
Don
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2010   #2 (permalink)
74stang2togo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbren View Post
I want to use a Mustang II front suspension on a ground-up project. It will be lightweight, front wheel drive.
I expect to use a pushrod to an inboard coilover. Has anyone here ever seen a front drive steering knuckle used with the Mustang II suspension?
Thanks,
Don
The Mustang II front suspension won't work with front wheel drive. There just isn't any way to drive the front wheels on a suspension setup that uses spindles and is so narrow. I'm not even sure there's an engine/transaxle assembly that will fit between the control arms.

You'd be better off looking into good-handling FWD platforms like the Chrysler LHS series (including the Concorde, Intrepid, and LHS); or, if you're not into longitudally mounted engines, the Mazda 626/MX6/Ford Probe suspension is really great as well.

The big problem you're going to run into with FWD setups is that they almost universally use strut towers, meaning you'll need a large portion of the front structure of the car. The Mustang II front suspension is wholly independent, but between it having spindles, and the control arms, shocks, and springs being directly in the way of where your C/V axles would have to go, it's not an option for front-wheel-drive.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 05-13-2010   #3 (permalink)
dbren is offline Rookie

dbren's Country Flag
Burnet   Texas

Thanks for the quick reply.
I know that i will need to do lots of machining and am prepared to do what's necessary. My drive unit will be lightweight, custom, and small, so I can deal with the narrow front end. With a pushrod to inboard coilovers, it seems that my biggest obstacle would be building a bracket from the top of the knuckle to the top ball joint.

For my project design, I can't use struts due to the height, so I'm faced with trying to adapt the double wishbone to front wheel drive.

If anyone knows of another double wishbone setup that is front wheel drive, I'm open to all suggestions.
Thanks
Unread 05-13-2010   #4 (permalink)
1978CobraII is offline PONY Member

Mustang II Member

1978CobraII's Country Flag  View 1978CobraII's 17 photos
Spencerport   New York
1978CobraII is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 1978CobraII

Honda's have double wish bone's in front and rear I believe.

1978 Mustang Cobra II:2.3 Auto Black with Red and Orange Graphics
1976 Mustang Cobra II:302 4 Speed, Knocks like a Champ. Black with Gold Stripes. '70 302 in the works.
Unread 05-13-2010   #5 (permalink)
dbren is offline Rookie

dbren's Country Flag
Burnet   Texas

Yes, I have looked at various other double wishbones, however, most of them have the upper wishbone above wheel height. I have to keep the lower profile like formula one.
Thanks
Unread 05-13-2010   #6 (permalink)
74stang2togo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbren View Post
Yes, I have looked at various other double wishbones, however, most of them have the upper wishbone above wheel height.
The reason for that being that they're fitting in a C/V axle through them as well as hubs. What exactly are you trying to build anyway?

Unread 05-14-2010   #7 (permalink)
michaeljowen is offline Apprentice

michaeljowen's Country Flag
St. Louis   Missouri
michaeljowen is on a distinguished road

seems like it COULD work with lots of machining your own parts. in the end i would imagine it not even looking anything close to a mustang II suspension. to get around the coil springs with a CV axle you'd have to go the wishbone honda route (civics of the late 90's), but then you'd have a coil extending above the wheel height, like the photo i've attached of a 98 civic front suspension.

just my 2 cents. good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Mustang II front wheel drive setup?-98-civic-front-suspension.jpg  
Unread 05-14-2010   #8 (permalink)
Blue_coyote is offline Made Member

Mustang II Member

Blue_coyote's Country Flag
Green City   British Columbia
Blue_coyote is on a distinguished road

I have done a bit of thinking along the lines of FWD in a II, but only at the "I wonder if" stage. Have you looked at the AWD front setup from the Aerostar?

I've always thought an AWD II with the front subframe assembly from the Aerostar replacing the Mustang stuff might be workable, since the Aerostar front end unbolts as a unit, and is already capable of holding a 2.8 without modification (the 86 model was available with the same V6 as the II)

Imagine: an AWD II with 200 hp from a V6....I think the hardest part would be getting the AWD transfer case tucked up under the floorpan far enough to clear pea gravel...
Unread 05-15-2010   #9 (permalink)
T. Hadley is offline Apprentice

Classic Member

T. Hadley's Country Flag
Lake Tapps   Washington
T. Hadley is on a distinguished road

I'm really wondering why anyone would want to put that much effort into anything front wheel drive? unless its a special racing class that requires it, because rear wheel drive is Superior in every way over FWD.

Please tell us more about what you are building.

T.
Unread 05-15-2010   #10 (permalink)

St. Louis   Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Hadley View Post
because rear wheel drive is Superior in every way over FWD.
depends on what type of racing you are doing.
Unread 05-17-2010   #11 (permalink)
74importetr is offline Rookie

Mustang II Member

74importetr's Country Flag
Pottstown   Pennsylvania
74importetr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978CobraII View Post
Honda's have double wish bone's in front and rear I believe.
right you are my 95 accord has that setup, you could grab a full front subframe from a junkyard for around 140ish, and it leaves plenty of room for a bigger engine as well. ( i had thoughts of droppin a 302 in it at one point, the honda that is)
88 10th Anniversary Rx7 turbo II (sunday car,undergoing resto)
94 Honda Accord Ex Auto ( DD)
95 Honda Accord Ex 5 spd (DD)
96 Honda Accord Ex 5 spd (used to be dd now a parts car) yeah i own 3 hondas, so.... reliable and good gas mileage.
Unread 05-17-2010   #12 (permalink)
T. Hadley is offline Apprentice

Classic Member

T. Hadley's Country Flag
Lake Tapps   Washington
T. Hadley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljowen View Post
depends on what type of racing you are doing.
What do you mean?
Unread 05-17-2010   #13 (permalink)

St. Louis   Missouri

FWD is better for traction and control in rally racing than RWD (unless it's rear engine-RWD like a porsche or a beetle). although front engine-RWD is more fun and challenging in all cases.
Unread 05-19-2010   #14 (permalink)
dbren is offline Rookie

dbren's Country Flag
Burnet   Texas

Lots of good ideas bouncing here....thanks! I am building a lightweight reverse trike, full electric AC drive, lithium batteries. The first one will be planned for specialty use, then maybe street machines after that.

I would like to be as close to Formula One front end as possible, with the Mustang II aftermarkets being the closest thing to production availability that I've seen. I assume that I'll have to redesign the shock towers and use a linkage pushrod to center-mounted coilovers so that the drive axle can go through, but I have to stay low. The AC motor will bolt to a small differential and probably be direct drive, single speed.

If y'all want a good laugh, go to Fun E Cars to see the first couple prototypes with the electric drive. They were both street legal and driven around town here for the past year. The drive is decent and I am in the middle of installing that motor/drive in a 2006 Suzuki Katana 750 and it will be for sale.

The reverse trike will be a little larger motor, AC with solid state controller, regen braking, and it needs to be pretty quick up to about 100 mph. If you have seen the T-Rex, it will be a similar frame design.
Unread 05-19-2010   #15 (permalink)
74stang2togo

Why not use the front end out of a Metro? It's light, it's compact, it handles relatively well, and it's low to the ground even WITH strut towers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164