Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang > Mustang II > Mustang II Tech

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Introductions| Mustang Lounge | Mustang II Talk | Mustang II Tech | Mustang Tech | Tech | Racing | Regional

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 03-25-2012   #1 (permalink)
dazedtrucker is offline Rookie

dazedtrucker's Country Flag
Garden City   Kansas
dazedtrucker is on a distinguished road
Question Where is my ignition switch??

I cant find it! help?? I have googled and searched the forums, can someone please tell me how to get the ignition switch out of my '78? Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Where is my ignition switch??-0325121629.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2012   #2 (permalink)

Garden City   Kansas

I took all this apart, and have followed the wires from inside this assembly down under the dash where it goes into the main harness. I am stumped, and a girl, and not real experienced workin on cars....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 03-25-2012   #3 (permalink)
74stang2togo

If the II is anything like other Fords of the era, (I've never had to fix mine in my II, that's why I don't know for certain) the ignition lock cylinder (the part that the key went into that you've already removed) pushed on a lever that pushes on a long rod that runs down the top of the column to the ignition switch, which would be bolted to the top of the column externally. I've changed the daylights out of them on 70s and 80s Ford trucks and vans.

Unread 03-25-2012   #4 (permalink)

Garden City   Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74stang2togo View Post
If the II is anything like other Fords of the era, (I've never had to fix mine in my II, that's why I don't know for certain) the ignition lock cylinder (the part that the key went into that you've already removed) pushed on a lever that pushes on a long rod that runs down the top of the column to the ignition switch, which would be bolted to the top of the column externally. I've changed the daylights out of them on 70s and 80s Ford trucks and vans.
Ima go look at that again, I kinda went past that cause all th wires go down the bottom...I'll b back Thank u!
Unread 03-25-2012   #5 (permalink)

Garden City   Kansas

OMG, I think I see it... I gotta take the whole dash out to get to it??? Really? ima kill my car! Is there an easy way im missing?
Unread 03-25-2012   #6 (permalink)
74stang2togo

Should be a lot easier to drop the column.

On the old F-series trucks and the Clubwagons I've done them on, it was just four bolts to drop the column, didn't have to take the steering wheel off or anything. Depending on the year of the truck/van, there was sometimes small trim pieces in the way.

You're looking for a little booger that looks like this:

Duralast/Ignition Switch (LS304) | 1978 Ford Mustang 8 Cylinders F 5.0L 2BL | AutoZone.com

Unread 03-26-2012   #7 (permalink)
Blue_coyote is offline Made Member

Mustang II Member

Blue_coyote's Country Flag
Green City   British Columbia
Blue_coyote is on a distinguished road

Remove the plastic panel from the dash below the column. Undo the four 9/16" nuts holding the column up (there may be a double set on the left side ones, securing the brace plate. If so, remove those, too). The column will then drop down and let you access the ignition switch. Note where it is secured before removing it, as it will need to be adjusted to get it working properly.
Unread 03-31-2012   #8 (permalink)

Garden City   Kansas

Thanks for the tips guys. Just an update: I have replaced the switch and it is doing the same thing.. or it was, now it is not running at all, however I think the problem is in my ICM, and am waiting to get a new one to try that. I had a long standing problem of the car not wanting to start after getting warm, and this might just be the next symptom in an ignition control failure. I hope... I also replaced the coil and starter solenoid, just for good measure.
Unread 03-31-2012   #9 (permalink)

Mustang II Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedtrucker View Post
Thanks for the tips guys. Just an update: I have replaced the switch and it is doing the same thing.. or it was, now it is not running at all,
Is it engaging the starter when you turn the key? The switch needs to be properly adjusted or it won't close the circuit.

Quote:
however I think the problem is in my ICM, and am waiting to get a new one to try that.
Its possible, but the Duraspark box doesn't go very often. Usually, the plastic plugs on the wires disintegrate long before the box quits

Quote:
I had a long standing problem of the car not wanting to start after getting warm, and this might just be the next symptom in an ignition control failure. I hope... I also replaced the coil and starter solenoid, just for good measure.
Have you double-checked all of the main ground wires? There should be a heavy wire from the engine to the negative side of the battery...AND a heavy wire somewhere from the engine to the chassis of the car. If either of these (or any other ground wire) isn't tight and making solid contact, it'll play all kinds of Hell on diagnosing a problem
Unread 03-31-2012   #10 (permalink)
dragorphan is offline Made Member

dragorphan's Country Flag  View dragorphan's 14 photos
Avondale   Arizona
dragorphan is on a distinguished road

I have had a dura sparkbox fail and the symptoms were the same as you describe. It seems to happen in hotter climets more often. It can also be caused by bad plugs and or wires due to the increased resistance.
Unread 03-31-2012   #11 (permalink)

Garden City   Kansas

Ignition control module. The car is RUNNING! :kooky: I am so freakin happy!!! LOL! I did drop the column again and re-check the switch, it was good. I haven't driven it yet, gotta put the insides back together. I will see tomorrow if my hard starting when warm is fixed. Thanx all! I hope this thread will save someone else a headache or 2 as well
Unread 03-31-2012   #12 (permalink)

Garden City   Kansas

Oh, and it wasnt a duraspark box, it was some wierd thing that was black plastic and said "switches" on the front of it. No idea where someone came up with it.
Unread 04-01-2012   #13 (permalink)

Garden City   Kansas

Still hard start when warm. Ordered a mini starter.... the next chapter begins next week LOL :p
Unread 04-02-2012   #14 (permalink)
74stang2togo

Quote:
Oh, and it wasnt a duraspark box, it was some wierd thing that was black plastic and said "switches" on the front of it. No idea where someone came up with it.
Got any pictures of it?

Unread 04-24-2012   #15 (permalink)

Mustang II Member

Quote:
Still hard start when warm. Ordered a mini starter.... the next chapter begins next week LOL :p
Make sure you double-check the distance the mini-starter throws the bendix and compare it to the original starter. We've had mixed results on our cars, with it sometimes not sending it out deep enough for full contact with the teeth of the ring gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164