Ford Mustang Forum banner

What engine would you choose if you were forced to buy a 2015 Mustang

If You Were Forced To Buy A 2015 Which Engine Would You Get

43K views 177 replies 115 participants last post by  iseeu1001 
#1 ·
Not to steal any thunder from the 3.7 vs EB 2.3 thread that we have here I just wanted to get a poll count for all 3 engines.

The premise of the poll question is this:

If for some reason we all had to turn in our Mustangs and buy 2015's whether we wanted to or not, which engine would you choose, keeping in mind the price differences, trim differences (etc). Remember, you are going to have to buy one so you might as well be happy with whatever engine you purchase, so choose wisely, lol.

This is a for fun thread, not a "I'm not buying one, period!" or "But I want to wait until later to see if they......" thread.

So get your checkbooks out, and tell us what engine you are choosing!

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
cartman.gifDuh, An Extremely Stupid Question !

And in what way would the question be stupid? Not everyone thinks that the V8 is the only way to go......

#6 ·
I'd like to think V8, but the 2.3L is enticing. 300+ HP and TQ right out of the box. You know tuners are going to go nuts with it. Wouldn't be surprised if a 93 tune, exhaust and intake would give you 60-80 RWHP. Take in to account the 32-35MPG highway, or 20 in the city, it's a win win.

#43 ·
The sand keeps slipping through the glass. I'm only going around one time and it's the 5.0 with 6 speed trans in GT Premium trim and I'm not looking back.
This right here.

From the beginning, Mustangs have been about what each individual owner wants them to be. So I think it's great that there are V6 Mustangs, and now an EcoBoost 4cyl Mustang, and automatic transmission Mustangs, and Base model Mustangs. But for *me*... for what *I* want out of a Mustang ... V8 power, do-it-myself shifting, and enough creature comforts to transform it into a credible Grand Tourer for two people and their luggage.

All that, for around $35 grand? Sign me up.

#11 ·
Before considering anything other than the V-8, think about these three items:

1. How many times have you read in the 2011 and newer forums that a person bought a 2011 or newer V-6, then later decided to trade it for a 5.0 ?

2. Google this: "Problems with Ford's EcoBoost engines". See what you find from that search.

3. Consider you've now bought a 2015 Mustang. Your friends ask what engine is in your new car. You answer V-6 or 4-cylinder. Now, can you still hold your chin up ?

#13 ·
I can guarantee that I'd be able to hold my chin up with a 2015 V6 Mustang. The Coyote engine is awesome, but the V6 engine is pretty awesome, too.

#17 ·
I love my Ecoboost F-150. It is everything it was advertised to be. That being said, I think a Mustang should SOUND like a Mustang and that's just not possible, in my opinion, with a 4 or 6 cylinder. Give me a 2015 5.0 with long tubes, off road X-pipe and Flowmaster Outlaws......to start with ;)

#18 ·
As much as I'm intrigued by the Ecoboost 4 and the possibility of a huge aftermarket for it. I have always been a V8 guy and would have to get a Base GT with M6 and performance pack just like what I have now.

#19 ·
I would have to look at car weights/HP. If the New Mustang is going to be 200 lbs less than the current model and I can strip another 400 lbs out of the car I would look at the 2.3.

weight 3000/ HP 310= 9.67
Take the hit for aero mods of -0.5
That would give me 9.17 and put me in TT3

I would only need to add 5HP to get it to 9.52 minus the aero -.5 and I get 9.02 and that fits nicely in NASA's TT3. With some engine mods this car can move up to TT2.

I would try a 4 cylinder engine for racing since the car might be more balanced. So, yes if I had to get one I would go for the 2.3.

#20 ·
For me there is only one choice. V8........the smaller engines offer NOTHING.

If I was in it for fuel efficiency or practicality........I'd probably be buying a completely different car anyway.

V6 and high tech 4 cylinders definitely are the best they've ever been and I can think of more than just a few cars where I'd be happy to have one of 'em under the hood but a Pony car just isn't one of those cars.

I really never have understood why anyone buys a Mustang, Camaro or Challanger with anything less than a V8 under the hood. crazy2.gif

#22 ·
I really never have understood why anyone buys a Mustang, Camaro or Challanger with anything less than a V8 under the hood.
Also add Charger to that list. To me it's like buying non alcoholic beer. What's the point? For anything under 8 cylinders, I'll go somewhere else.

#21 ·
Have to go with the V8; get a more fuel efficient engine for your daily driver. But If the Stang was my daily driver, I would consider the Turbo 4 next

#23 ·
5.0 because otherwise it would be silly of me driving around with ICE ICE BABY blasting thru my speakers, singing along with it... "Rolling in my 5.0".

Let's be honest. "Rolling in my Ecoboost" does not sound as cool. rofl.gif

#27 ·
5.0 only. Even with slightly reduced weight, this car is still going to be too porky for my tastes with a 4 banger. Might as well buy an Ecoboost Fusion.

Additionally, I've heard a few 3.7's around here with exhausts that sound god awful. I don't want to think of what a 4 cylinder Mustang will sound like, stock or otherwise. I just can't get into a Mustang with a fart can, regardless of how well it performs. Even worse, a 4 cylinder car with a dual pipe exhaust. It may look better, but is pointless.

Part of me also wonders how much better real world fuel economy would really be with a smaller engine. Traditionally, smaller engines in larger cars or trucks are not better on fuel because the engine has to work harder; they exist merely because they are cheaper out of the gate.

Finally, while tuners and bolt on's may unlock a lot of hidden potential, DI engines generally hit walls with the HP fuel system that are very difficult, and very expensive to overcome. Couple that with a factory turbo that is geared for low end launch performance and not high end power, and you'll likely need expensive upgrades there too.

For the same amount of money to overcome that hurdle and hit 400+HP, you'd be able to throw a blower on the 5.0 and hit 650+HP.

The Ecoboost engines are great for what they are, but I think they are ultimately more limiting when it comes to increasing power beyond what the factory designed into them. When the 5.0 gets DI, it will have that same issue as well. The aftermarket will step up and have offerings, but they will not be as cheap as they are now.

#28 ·
5.O only gets the O face.. Had modded Mitsu 4 bangers before and yes you can get them to go fast but it no longer becomes a daily driver. V6 is sweet but still once you go 8 you cant go back.:happyhapp:

#30 ·
The EB-4 should weigh quite a bit less than the 5.0. I would think the EB Stang will be the best handling of the three.

My GT is a blast to drive because of the power. But, I think the EB-4 will make the Mustang a great handling car right out of the box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.