Ford Mustang Forum banner

2015 Mustang Gt: Auto Vs Manual

51K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  s550menace 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

My Names alex, I previously owned an 2007 baby v6 in auto. I am looking into purchasing the 2015 model Gt in manual, and problem is that i live in los angeles. with Therefore, i am also considering getting the car in auto. I want that perfomance package with the brembo, struts and such. The website does not show that package available, when customizing. Does anyone know if it is available for the auto? Chances are i wont ***** out and go auto, but I already have my tuner car in manual. Not the best for the traffic in these parts.

Thanks for any input, and sorry if this has been asked before. I tried to do a quick search and came up with nothing.
-Alex

#4 ·
Oh fer chrissake.....

If you really enjoy driving a sports coupe, forget an auto. The 2015 Mustang's clutch has much lower pedal effort, and it shifts nicer than the 2011-2014 cars. Man up, do it right. There's nothing like the connection you feel to the car with a manual. Driving enthusiasts buy manuals.

OP, I drive in worse traffic than you do, and I roll an MT82.

Reactions: s550menace
#6 ·
The performance difference between Auto and Manual for most cars has narrowed significantly in my view. The biggest drawback is that the PP is not available with the GT Auto. I drove a GT Auto for six days while on vacation and I can definitively say that in sports mode using the paddles, you will shift as quickly as a manual and will have lots of flexibility. Two flicks of your wrist and you have downshifted 2 gears immediately. The shift paddles on the steering wheel could be positioned better mind you.

#9 ·
I tormented myself with this very same question, but when I drove both for test drives and played with the paddles, I realized it was ok to get an automatic again for the first time in 40 years. Been driving it since Feb and have not regretted it for a moment. The auto rev matching on auto downshifts in Sport + is cooler that crap too!

#10 ·
We have a 2015 Corvette in Auto and the Mustang is 6 spd. Love the transmission in the corvette with the paddles but the Auto Mustangs just don't feel the same IMO. I know they are on two different levels and the new vette hangs with super cars double the price but there's honestly nothing better than driving a Mustang with a nice exhaust in a manual... I drive in traffic too and just suck it up because when I get on the open road, it's game on !!!

#11 ·
We bought our 2015 GT convertible with an auto because wifey uses it to go to work during the week. Funny part is she now wants a manual. We are trying to decide between a Vette or maybe buying a base GT to send to Shelby. I will say that the paddles are ok for quick downshifting but are rather soggy when going up through the gears. The car in sport mode actually shifts much harder going up by itself.

#14 ·
If it matters, I too live in the heart of Los Angeles, My drive consists of going to LAX daily (Oh god) and I chose the 2015 GT in a manual transmission.

Drive it like it's meant to be driven.... With 3 pedals! =P

#16 ·
I drove a buddy's 2015 auto, and I didn't feel anywhere near as good as I did when driving a 2015 with the Performance Pack. The clutch is very light and easy to deal with, and the shifter is much better than what I've seen in any other factory Mustang. The Performance Pack is a total bargain, compared to what you'd otherwise spend to assemble a package of parts, piecemeal.

JR

#20 ·
I think you mean 3:15. An auto should beat manual in a straight line. This wasn't always the case but it is pretty standard now a days. On a road course or on a mountain road try to keep up with that performance package. It will be a different story.

#21 ·
Not necessarily true. In todays world the king of the mountain course would depend on driver skill and the nerve of the driver. The majority of races today are short in length . Automatics "RULE" today and they are the future for the Mustang as well as other sports cars. That's why you add for the auto at trade in time and deduct for the handshaker............... Not to mention the comfort!

#22 ·
With the ability to heel-toe and drive in corners deeper with the Brembo's, a pp GT is the better vehicle for a road course or in the twisties. I'm not a fan boy of either(auto or standard), as I've owned both, but it is what it is.

#23 ·
Be realistic here.............How many folks know what heel toe means much less how to do it. How many will ever actually do a mountain course or any closed course. The auto rules the day and the stick is the past for the remember when stories................ In the near future a manual transmission will be a special order option.

#24 ·
I am being realistic. Your auto with 3:55 is probably quick as hell in a straight line. You should be able to beat a PP GT 9 out of 10 times in a straight line. It probably handles pretty good through the turns. A Performance Package GT with a beefed up suspension, Brembos, and 3:73 gears is made for road courses and tracks and handles great through the turns. A competent driver will leave you and your auto behind. Being able to press a pedal to the floor and going fast doesn't equate to being a good road course driver.
If you notice, they don't sell the performance package in auto. There is a reason for that. They don't sell the GT350 in auto. There is a reason for that. Even the Focus RS only comes in manual. The auto is definitely the future but we are talking now. And right now, in a Ford Mustang, the manual is better for a road course or track. Period.

#25 ·
Facts are stubborn things!

The coolest sports cars only come with manual transmissions.
This depends on your definition of "cool sports car." The seventh-generation 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray and many flavors of the 2014 Porsche 911 offer a choice of a manual or automatic transmission. But if your choice is the 2014 Porsche 911 GT3, which Edmunds editors call "the baddest Porsche on the block," you can only get an automated manual transmission. The same goes for the 2014 Jaguar F-Type the 2013 Maserati GranTurismo,2013 Lamborghini Aventador and the 2013 Ferrari F12 Berlinetta. No manual gear shifting ballet for you. It's no loss, says Ken Hill, a professional racer, driving educator and vice president of operations for Automotive Adventures in Bellevue, Washington. "Some people are stuck on the mindset that a driver is faster with a manual box," Hill says. But there's a reason why some major performance-car manufacturers, including Ferrari and Jaguar, no longer offer traditional manual transmissions, he says. "They just aren't as good."

#26 ·
So.... Let me get this straight. You are equating your Ford Mustang to a Porshe 911 GT3? That is pretty awesome since it costs almost $100k less. We are talking Ford Mustang. Not Porsche, Jaguar or Maserati. I've already said the auto is the future. Ive said I like the auto. As of now for a road course, in a Ford Mustang, the manual 6 speed is the way to go. How hard is that to understand?
If I were getting a car to race in a straight line, give me the auto all day long.
All of Ford's built for the track cars all come in Standard. Why do you suppose that is the way it is? It couldn't be that Ford's six speed auto isn't as good as Porsche, Jaguar, Maserati or Ferrari's gearbox? Could it?

#28 ·
2016 Ford Shelby GT350 Mustang to Feature Automatic Transmission

Last week we all enjoyed the video showing the 2016 Ford Shelby GT350 Mustang in action on the famed Nurburgring and while we noted the super aggressive body and the precision handling, we skimmed right past one very important point – it sounds very much like the next generation high performance Mustang will feature an automatic transmission.

.torquenews.com/106/2016-ford-shelby-gt350-mustang-feature-automatic-transmission

#29 ·
Whatever dude. Make sure you don't edit the article to take out the "maybe's" and "might not's". That is a speculative article without any hard facts. If the GT 350 is to come out with an automatic transmission, it will most likely be special transmission made for Shelby just like the manual.
Also, your car isn't a GT350. We are talking about your auto with 3:55 gears compared to a PP GT on a road course. You keep bringing in these articles about other cars to justify your arguement that your car is as good on a track as a car made for the track. That car is made for the track. Bigger brakes with a beefier suspension. But because you have 3:55 gears you think your car will compete on a track. Believe what you want. As long as you are happy with your car, I'm happy for you. Enjoy life bud.

#33 ·
The auto's of today are superior to manual 3 pedal setups. All the kiddies can whine and debate it all they want. Most auto setups are now almost 1/2 second quicker consistently than their manual brethren. Look at new c7 8 speed auto vettes, Scat Pack/Hellcat challengers, etc. Ford needs to get that 10 speed auto in production yesterday...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.