Ford Mustang Forum banner

New GT and first oil change

25K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  BCFDT-10 
#1 ·
I've got 2900 miles on my car and was wondering when everyone was doing their first oil change? I feel like it's probably a good idea to go ahead and have it done soon since it is new. The dealer threw in 6 oil changes for free but am also a little reluctant to have them do it too. I'm really picky about my cars and honestly don't trust the kids in the shop. It's a group of guys that the dealer hired to free up the Ford techs and all they do is oil and tire rotations. None looks a day older than 18. Thinking that I'll just do it myself and save me the worry and know it's done right. Anybody changing their own oil and if so where's the best jacking location for that?

#2 ·
Mine is already up to 2500 miles in only five weeks (GAH!), and I'm debating my first oil change at either 3k miles or 5k miles. The oil that they use in new engines typically has special additives to help break in the engine, so I'd like to do it sooner, rather than later. With the holiday next week, I'll probably hit 3k miles in two weeks, and I'll change it, then, but I won't trust anyone to do it, plus, my three-year-old son has been BEGGING me to help change the oil on 'Red Vroom Vroom'.

I haven't gotten under the car to check out a jacking location, so I'm interested in that, as well.

I've been using Mobil 1 with K&N filters for years, but reading more and more about how XOM has decreased the quality of Mobil 1, I'm thinking about trying out Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra. The Ultra is billed as being made from natural gas, which is supposedly 25% cleaner, but both are full synthetics, and both are rated very highly, while still being below that Royal Purple/Amsoil price tier.

I'll probably stick with the K&N filter, though as they have high filter flow rates, and don't bypass the filter element at high flow rates like other, lower quality filters.

JR

#4 ·
The system has a 10k mile countdown. I did my first one @ 5k and will do my next one closer to 15 (pushing 13 already and car will only be 6 months on the 19th)

#5 ·
I actually looked into Amsoil last night. While almost prohibitively expensive from an auto parts store, if you pay the $10 for a six month preferred membership, you get 25% off, which brings the cost down to less than $8/quart. A gallon jug is $30, and shipping is only a few bucks, so it brings the price way down. Given that, I'm actually thinking about springing and becoming an Amsoil dealer. I know enough folks in my area that I could buy and sell over cost, but below what the retailers are charging, and still make some coin to cover my costs and time.

JR

#6 ·
Hey Guys, thinking through same oil change thoughts. I put the steeda jacking rails on my car, easy enough to do! I didn't even jack the car up to install them. I was thinking of going the royal purple route with this one. I did trade in a 2015 GT for my 2016. For the 2014, honestly, I just let the dealer change and told them to use a synthetic. I wasn't picky. The 2014, was hit with hail damage in month 3 of it's life. I knew I wasn't going to keep it very long since it had so much damage to it. You couldn't tell, but I knew.

I was letting the dealer change the oil because I didn't have easy jacking with it, and it looked like I would have to take the plastic shield off under the engine. How do you guys work around that?

Thanks!
RW

#7 ·
I did trade in a 2015 GT for my 2016.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you go from a 15 to a 16? Not trying to derail this topic but I literally just bought a 15 3 weeks ago.

For on topic I just let the dealership put synthetic in it, I've never heard of additives added but usually go on the dealerships recommendation which is usually 3-5k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I just let the dealer do it. Good bunch of guys, been going there for quite awhile - I trust them.
Dave

#12 ·
Go by the OLM and you'll be fine.
I found it hard to wait past 5k miles to change the oil. I just can't bring myself to do it. I changed the oil at 5k on my 12 GT and now on my 15 GT I do the same. I can't imagine that it isn't better for the motor even though the recommendation is 10k.
It's not going to hurt anything waiting to 10,000 miles if that's when it needs to be done. Ford isn't going to recommend something that would be detrimental.

#11 ·
I found it hard to wait past 5k miles to change the oil. I just can't bring myself to do it. I changed the oil at 5k on my 12 GT and now on my 15 GT I do the same. I can't imagine that it isn't better for the motor even though the recommendation is 10k.

#13 ·
Wait until 10,000 miles then if you want to. I just said I personally can't bring myself to wait that long. I always changed my oil in my other vehicles at 3500 miles before my 12 GT. It was a stretch waiting until 5k with it. Maybe in 5 years, when the recommendation is 15 or 20k, I'll be able to wait 10000 miles to change my oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.