2019 Mustang GT Premium Window Controller Thump - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

2019 Mustang GT Premium Window Controller Thump

I took delivery of a 2019 GT Premium in early July, my second Mustang. So far, so good, although I will confess that I had a great deal of trepidation about purchasing a new Mustang given the myriad of problems I had with my 2012 V-6 convertible.

This afternoon, I lowered the driver's window and as it ran to the bottom it stopped with a relatively noticeable thump. I raised the window and lowered it a second time and experienced the same noise. I then did the same for the passenger window and it ran down smoothly and silently. On the third or fourth run on the driver's window it functioned fine.

I had this problem all throughout the 8 years I owned my 2012 V-6. I complained about the loud clunk when the window hit bottom very early on, while the car was still under warranty. Of course, the dealer responded they could not duplicate the problem. Occasionally, I had the same issue with the passenger window. Shortly before my extended warranty expired I brought my V-6 in and showed the dealer that the passenger window rested approximately 1/4 inch above the door while the passenger window was flush with the door -- clearly, one of the windows was not functioning correctly. The dealer replaced the driver's window controller, but the problem persisted intermittently over the time that I owned the car.

Given the massive amount of work on my 2012 V-6 (lower control arms, bushings, lower control arms again, rear anti-sway bar, front anti-sway bar, rear anti-sway bar again, window controller, water pump, automatic transmission cooler, and a convertible roof bracket replacement all within 74,000 miles) you can understand my wariness about purchasing another Mustang.

The loud clunk on my 2012 V-6 was very annoying. Now, I've experienced a similar issue with my 2019 GT Premium. Is this a problem others have experienced? Is it simply endemic to Ford window controllers? Does this portend potential issues in the future? Once again, I have purchased an extended warranty that takes me to 6 years/60,000 miles so I have time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

It's a QA issue....record it on your phone and let the dealer deal with it...ÖÖ.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I hate to assume, but I will. On the S197 models the window thud could be reset by cycling the window up and down and holding the switch for a couple seconds in position after the window made full travel. I had the thud problem on my 2006 and I occasionally have a thud on my 2012.

I assume the S550 window will reset similarly.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEZ ST View Post
I hate to assume, but I will. On the S197 models the window thud could be reset by cycling the window up and down and holding the switch for a couple seconds in position after the window made full travel. I had the thud problem on my 2006 and I occasionally have a thud on my 2012.

I assume the S550 window will reset similarly.
This is my thought the window needs to be reset. I forgot how to do it, but a quick google or even maybe forum search should find the instructions. Have had this happen on a few Mustangs I have owned randomly and after disconnecting battery and each time I did the window reset/reprogram and I was good to go with thump going away. Really surprised the dealer just didn't start with this... Sighhh

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Much appreciate the suggestion for resetting the power window. I will definitely try it before speaking to the dealer.

So strange that the window should lower into the door and stop with abrupt and noticeable clunk for no reason. Most of the time, when it happened with my 2012 V-6 the problem persisted for 2, 3, or maybe 4 openings and the problem would go away -- until the next time. Usually, it was several weeks between events.

Does anyone know why this happens? Since the dealer replaced the window controller and the problem persisted with my previous Mustang that mechanism did not strike me as the problem. My search online suggests there may be issues after power (e.g. dead battery) is lost, but that has not been a problem with this new car.

Thanks so much for your responses so far!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekelim View Post
Much appreciate the suggestion for resetting the power window. I will definitely try it before speaking to the dealer.

So strange that the window should lower into the door and stop with abrupt and noticeable clunk for no reason. Most of the time, when it happened with my 2012 V-6 the problem persisted for 2, 3, or maybe 4 openings and the problem would go away -- until the next time. Usually, it was several weeks between events.

Does anyone know why this happens? Since the dealer replaced the window controller and the problem persisted with my previous Mustang that mechanism did not strike me as the problem. My search online suggests there may be issues after power (e.g. dead battery) is lost, but that has not been a problem with this new car.

Thanks so much for your responses so far!
Correct most of the time caused by a power loss. The reset is actually something that could be done accidentally if you have somebody messing with the switch just fidgeting. I have had that happen as well.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

The window has been functioning properly since the the two thumps I noticed the other day. I have raised the window and held the button for a few seconds and did the same upon lowering the window. I'd feel much better, however, if I knew the reason for the issue, especially given the long-running problem that I experienced with my 2012 Mustang V-6. Best I can do is wait to see if the problem surfaces again.

I greatly appreciate the responses... anyone else have any thoughts or suggestions? I'm all eyes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page