Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why all the hate for the 2015's

64K views 335 replies 149 participants last post by  kenv 
#1 ·
First time poster, and first time Mustang owner,

Just bought a 2015 5.0 GT Premium, and I absolutely love it. It's my first Mustang, I've mostly stuck with Euro cars, and I'm really enjoying the experience.

My question, "Why all the hate from current Mustang owners?". Everyone who has seen it thinks it's a beautiful, slick car, EXCEPT other mustang owners.

Responses range from, "It doesn't look like a muscle car anymore.", "It's to European, looking." , to "It's ugly!"

I don't get it? It's fast, it rumbles, it's American made and it looks bad a**. I get that everyone has their own tastes, but the car has been positively reviewed by just about every car magazine, hence my purchase. Surely we can all appreciate the direction that Ford is going to broaden their customer base?

Am I missing something??

#166 ·
What happened I think is that Ford went, "oops we sold Jaguar and Aston now we need our design back"

#167 ·
For some reason, Ford did make all their new cars have similar front ends. Maybe they wanted everyone to easily identify Fords. I don't know.

#169 ·
That approach does seem to have worked for BMW, and I don't think I've ever heard complaints of "what? still with the kidney beans?".

Having a little company identity is a good thing. Letting people mistake the S550 for a 6th gen Camaro in final testing might not be.

Norm

#172 ·
I took 2, yes 2 for test drives. One was a premium, 41K or something or other sticker, and a bone stock GT. The premium was sharp, ruby red, 20's, matte black Lemans, all the toggles inside, I was almost sold...on looks. It handled well but the throttle response was garbage. Granted when it stuck I spun the tires, but that initial slop I just don't like. Most can be cured with a tune I'm sure. The bone stocker? The exact same pedal feel. Both handled like champs, eventually spun the tires, but for me it all goes back to the looks. The premium did catch my eye over the regular GT but for 41+ it had better come doing 9 second quarters...

#174 ·
I tried most of the buttons, for a test drive I was frustrated because it felt like I was in an F-16...which would be great if I was a pilot...maybe if I bought one and drove it for a while and got used to it all I might like it better..."Ejecto Seato Cuz!"

#175 ·
Good Morning Surfs1st,
congratulations on your new Mustang and welcome to the club.
Apologies for stating it but I agree with with what you are haring that the new model looks like a European sports car, thats exactly what I see when i look at the new model. The same issue happened in the early 80's when the Stang's started to take on the Japanese sports car look and subsequently dropped in popularity until the look reverted back to a genuine muscle car. Mustang lovers are probably concerned that after the latest revival of the name and looks that Ford are making the same mistake with the change in shape that has transformed the 2010-14 uniquely American muscle look to the 2015 European Jaguar/ Maserati mix styling.
Its not a bad thing, its a preference - enjoy your car and take care of it.
Carl.

#176 ·
OK, other than the tail lights...if you saw a Nissan label on it would you have cared? Noticed?

Devil's advocate....

#177 ·
BA or not, folks get used to visuals or get caught up in the ordeal. There's not hate involved, it's just not wanting to move forward with technology pretty much. I'm also a Dodge truck fan, and I've been through the years of changes in body style and the like since 2002. All I can say is that Chevy continues to astound me with not keeping up with the status quo for looks or perfomance. No wonder the government had to bail them out. The Ford Mustang is an all American icon no matter what year/model. Easily identifiable like an AK47 to the small arms world. It's prolific and indelible. It's something no other car manufacturer can honestly say no matter how hard they try. The Ford Mustang is a vision to behold, not something that goes away over time like the others. Charger, Challenger, Camaro....etc. Since I can't afford a Viper, the Mustang is the best. It may very well be the only thing Ford has done right over the years, and it seem that we're all liking prime time now!

#185 ·
I had the choice between a used '14 and a new '15. I wasn't sure about the new one at first, until seeing it in person (even regarding all the new changes). I saw a '15 and a '12 side by side on a lot and it was a no brainer for me and my tastes. The 6th gen is so much more sports-caresque, lower and wider. I love the new body style, with the muscular rear fenders, the fastback and other things that nod to the 60s Stangs, but it is still a progressive design. I think it's a home run.

The 5th gen was about going back to retro and it was a home run too, for what it was designed to be. I'm nearly 50 and I get the whole retro / nostalgia thing. To me the '15 is worlds closer to a "Mustang" in styling, than the Fox body (apologies in advance).

#188 ·
I love the looks of the new Mustang. I'm a little biased as I know one of the guys on the design team. And his first car was a 65 coupe. I like the euro-look nose, flared rear quarters, and the back is just awesome. And finally it's got IRS. If I had the means I would buy one in a heartbeat. Loaded GT with big brakes please. Or better yet a GT350. That flat plane crank V8 sounds incredible. But I don't have the means. I'll have to wait 8-10 years like I did to finally buy an S197. Oddly enough the only domestic vehicles I have ever owned have been my S197, an 86 GT, 85GT, and an 84RS Capri.

#192 ·
I just brought mine home Wed. & road trip Thursday. Sure like it so far, handles lot better than the '13', better gas mileage (26.4 driving at 73 mph). Going to take awhile to get used to the control screens. too quiet but that's being fixed with the Roush "Active Exhaust". Way crazy power but comes on smooth.
Dave

#193 ·
I'm looking at 15 GT premium with performance package race red. I have 11 GT premium with Brembo brake package Kona blue. I test drove different 15 GT with pp wrong color for me magnetic. I understand S550 100 lbs heavier but ride and handling is far better. What is 100 lbs takes 10hp more? S197 rear suspension far better than Fox body, SN95, new edge cars but it still hops over bumps but nothing like chassis before it. S197 best of solid axle cars by far. Have owned and still own leaf spring car 76 Cobra II hehe one fun little car (347, T5, 5 lug wheels, bigger front disc brake and rear disc brakes). It is factory v8 4 speed car.

I went over same road where 11 GT would give chopping ride that 15 GT I drove it was whole lot better. No wonder my brother likes his 96 GT better now with 99 cobra IRS rear. If I had kepted my 04 Mach1 it would have end up with cobra IRS too. But I traded it in for 11 GT

#195 ·
People resist change plain and simple whether good or bad. I like the 15 up mustangs overall. It definitely as stated moved away from the traditional pony/muscle car mustang look, but that's ok. It was a 9 year run for the S197. The front end and lower rear valance needs some styling help imo. I think a trick center exit exhaust would look best on the new ass.

#196 · (Edited)
People think putting IRS in ruined muscle car. Mustang was sport car in the beginning but turned into muscle car with horse power race of late 60's and hugh drag racing following. Ford took solid axle as far as it can when other brands went to it and Mustang lost sales they had to change. Mustang not all about drag racing never was suppose to be sporty car for masses.

Test drive that what got me NO wonder my brother likes his 96 GT more with 99 IRS in it.

I'm getting 15 mustang gt with pp Friday trading my 11 gt brembo car in.

#200 ·
TigerSN95guy ~ very well stated! I wasn't in love with the car at first; until I saw this car in person and test drove one. I own an '09 45th anniversary edition GT, which I love dearly, but this 2015 is in a class all its own.

Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I think you meant to reference the Mustang's after the P-51 fighter plane from WW II? Most say it was named after that.

Anyway... I have had my 2015 for "one week", and I have enjoyed it immensely. Fun, fast, loud, clean looking stang!

#201 ·
Well no 15 for me @ the moment, the dealer played games with pricing and my trade in price , way under bid! Waste of mine and my wife's time..I just love when your car guy, goes to the " manager" for pricing and comes back with nothing you talked about for 2 weeks..freaking joke...so I'm off to track down another ruby red 5.0 , he tried to sell me a 3.6! Not for me I said, and walked out..BTW 09Girl my wife wanted black 1st also, ruby red 2nd..I wanted the ruby..lol

#206 ·
Sorry that the dealer decided to play games with you! That sucks! I love the dealership and sales guy that we went through. Zero games played!! He asked us what we wanted to pay for the car (what we thought was fair), and that's the price he gave us. None of that "let me take this to my manager" crap. I will keep my fingers crossed that you find the car elsewhere!

#202 ·
Guess salesmen didn't want to sell a car. My wife couldn't believe how I handled them made them work hard to get me to buy. They all do talk to sales manger and try to sell you car you don't want. Stand your ground on what you want.

I'm picking up my 15 GT pp car tomorrow just got done putting my 11 GT back to stock

#203 ·
I really considered getting a `15 GT, but my wife explained "Loudly" that my current `13 GT only has 1352 miles on it & is paid for, it is probably not a good idea to get rid of it right now. sarcastic.gif I`ll put another 150 or so miles on it going to the AM car show at Maple Grove, but I somehow don`t think even that many miles will convince her to allow me to trade it in. Oh well, Happy wife - Happy Life. confused013.gif

#204 ·
I took my wife's 2012 Mustang in for hood corrosion repair and spotted a ruby red 2015 GT on the lot. I fell in love with the car and bought it 3 weeks later. I traded in my 2012 GT/CS. I get lots of "nice car". I find it better in every way to the 2012, ride is better, brakes and handling are much improved and the interior is awesome. As to European looking, my brother's grandson thought it was a Ferrari. I'm ok with that.

#208 ·
The Ruby Red was one of the ones I test drove. It had matte black lemans and 20 inch gunmetal wheels. Absolutely night and day compared side by side with a bone stock dark grey one (hideous). It was purdy. While I was at the auto shop on post last weekend a guy pulled up in a Grabber Orange with gloss black wheels, that was a nice looking ride too. As with pretty much anything purchasable, to each their own.

#205 ·
When I first saw them, the first thing I thought was Euro styling (or even like an early 80's Vette with all the curves). I didn't hate it, but didn't like it at first. But it grew on me and I got one just a month ago and love it and its curves)

Reactions: Mustang09Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.