Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why all the hate for the 2015's

64K views 335 replies 149 participants last post by  kenv 
#1 ·
First time poster, and first time Mustang owner,

Just bought a 2015 5.0 GT Premium, and I absolutely love it. It's my first Mustang, I've mostly stuck with Euro cars, and I'm really enjoying the experience.

My question, "Why all the hate from current Mustang owners?". Everyone who has seen it thinks it's a beautiful, slick car, EXCEPT other mustang owners.

Responses range from, "It doesn't look like a muscle car anymore.", "It's to European, looking." , to "It's ugly!"

I don't get it? It's fast, it rumbles, it's American made and it looks bad a**. I get that everyone has their own tastes, but the car has been positively reviewed by just about every car magazine, hence my purchase. Surely we can all appreciate the direction that Ford is going to broaden their customer base?

Am I missing something??

#314 ·
Kids say "it's a Mustang" because they see the commercials on TV dude. It's not because it it such an iconic shape that you automatically associate that with a Mustang. It is a total divergence from previous Mustang bodies. It's a nice looking car, sure. Not our (including other who don't like it) cup of tea. I think my 09 looks more like a Mustang than the 15 but that is just the way it is. To me the 15 looks more like a Beemer (yea with a Focus grill, Haha). It's nice, but too flat and low. The S197 has a wedge shape to it. Looks like its moving even standing still.

I liked the initial renderings but just don't really care for the final product. Hate is a strong word. Don't hate it. Don't hate ANY of the Mustangs including the Mustang II. Do I have favorites? Sure I do. But some I just like less.

#315 ·
Could easily afford a 15, but no thanks, I'll keep my 14 GT/CS! For me the styling of the 15 is way to European and the interior too busy....wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole.

Total sales of the 2014 Mustang hit 134,000, the highest since 2008 I believe. I was one of those 134,000 that made a purchase while the getting was good. For my personal tastes, I'm more than happy with my decision.

With that said, sales of the 2015 model have been surprisingly good, so obviously many happy campers. As the saying goes, "there's an a$$ for every seat!"

JediDave

#320 ·
OracleHCR: "I think this (2015) is a better looking vehicle and I know it is better from a performance stand point."

Well then, lets go to the local track and do a little 0-60/quarter mile run. I'd like to see how much additional performance your "50 Years Edition" has over my 14 GT/CS.

Jedi Dave

#326 ·
WOW who cares about drag racing. How many owners actually drag race where Mustang. You're stuck on 1/4 mile times that sets the bar on what the car can do except not looking at what car can do overall. We can play this take your S197 vs S550 at road course. Then lets look at street manners.

People are scared of IRS because of 99-04 Cobra's. Then other issue chassis was too weak for IRS. Cobra was never drag car was for road racing

#322 ·
OracleHCR:

Your overconfidence will be your undoing. The road course you will obviously take me out with "Boss 302" handling abilities....straight line 0-60/quarter mile is a different story. The 15 Mustang has superior road course handling, but again, the drag strip is a whole different story....don't get too cocky!!

JediDave

#323 ·
Personally, I find it almost funny some posters use the word "hate" in context of the 2015 mustang.
It goes beyond "I can" or "can't" afford a 2015... my personal take is simple and it goes not involve the word HATE in the least, I simply dislike the front end overall look, comparing it to my 2011, all things being equal ( and they never are) I would still buy an '11 over a '15.
The front design of the '15 is just too euro for my liking, sure it may very well be a better handling ride, but my first commitment to myself when deciding on my next ride is, does the look evoke enough overall "LIKE" to plop $40,000+ for a ride I am not impressed with.
That's not hate..... I think it's called preference!

#324 · (Edited)
Edited: You are the one who is overconfident. It is a driver's race unless you are just that good. I wasn't being cocky either. I said we'll go to the track for you then go to a road course or mountain road for me and compare notes afterward.
The S550 is a better all around car even though the 2014 was slightly faster in the quarter mile in some tests done by professional drivers.
I had a 2012 Gt/Cs. The S197 is a great/fun car and I love the body style. I drove the TOD in both the 12 and the 15. it was extremely fun in both vehicles but the 15 was definitely more at home on the twisties.
Interestingly enough, I got the 2012 because I didn't like the changes they made on the 2013's. I made the choice after seeing them side by side.

#325 ·
OracleHCR:

You've got a super nice car there and I respect its performance capabilities. Just that many "15" guys are getting a bit cocky now a days.

I ran a "15 GT" last week and easily took it out by over a car length. My mods help, but the biggest advantage I have is the MGW Race Spec shifter and my shift light. I just don't miss shifts anymore. Just punch it, watch that shift light, and go! Plus, the summer tires help the sticky!

JediDave

#328 ·
my 2 cents

Mines a 2011. I was wondering when I would come across a thread like this with the change of generations. I bought mine just recently though, so I had a choice of new vs old. Obviously, I prefer the older style, and was lucky enough to find exactly what I wanted and a low mileage example at that. I even prefer the 2011 to the later 2013/2014 as I like the treatment of the headlights/taillights, and the fact that I have gauges over a digital display for oil pressure/temp/and charging.

There's not much I can add that has not already been said in this thread. Although I agree with the observation that the nearest parallel is what Ford did when they went from the first generation to the next and the car began to grow in length, size, etc. But for me the body style I got is the closest modern equivalent to the car I liked when I was young. I think that's where the divide of opinions lie. It's not about who's is the fastest, or which handles the best, it's pride of ownership.

For me my concession to the modern age was to want a V6 over the V8. There's probably a thread around here somewhere where there's a disagreement about that too.

#329 ·
Wouldn't give the detractors much time or thought. I've driven Mustangs since the sixties my first being a 64 and a half coup with a V8 followed by a 69Mach1, 86Cobra, 93 5litre and now a 2015 2.3 Eco with the track pack. The 2015 is every bit a Mustang but evolved to a new piece of exciting experience to drive. Enjoy the new wheels and forget the nay sayers. I'm going to. Tom

#330 · (Edited)
Every time new body style comes out there will be guys hating just human nature. Got one guy calling 15 owners cocky then brags he beat one but he had mods so what. No one ever talks about how fox body bad sales almost turned Mustang into front wheel drive car (Probe). I was one of the guys who wrote Ford (this was when people actually sent letters before internet >:)).

#332 ·
No one ever talks about how fox body bad sales almost turned Mustang into front wheel drive car (Probe). I was one of the guys who wrote Ford (this was when people actually sent letters before internet >:)).
I don't think that the Fox body was the cause of Ford thinking about using the Probe as a Mustang. I think it's just that during that time Ford really didn't take the Mustang that seriously. It was a different corporate mentality. The Mustang was kinda lost and trying to find itself in a corporate structure dealing with new government laws about fuel economy, emissions, safety, and stuff like that. The Probe was a new design, lighter weight, front wheel drive (cutting edge back in the 80's), compact, better mileage, taking on the GM Fiero, so they thought that was a way to go. No one talks much about the Mustang II. That thing was built on a Pinto chassis. PINTO I said!!! Yea, since the early 70's Mustang has been a bit lost, but for the S197 they gave it a more serious attention. It's own chassis, and everything else. No sharing stuff with other models or getting left overs. (from 1979 to 04 there was a lot of recycling old stuff to keep it going and make a buck). Once the S197 proved that a great Mustang could really make Ford look good and make a great profit, then they decided it was time to take it seriously and now it's gone world wide (trying to rake in more money). The S197 even brought back the Challenger and Camaro from the mothballs. Yea, S197 is and was a real game changer. Lets see if you guys can say that in the future. :wink:

#331 ·
I have gotten countless compliments on my new 15 GT in just 3 months of ownership. The majority of people out there love the new mustang. Sales numbers back that up as well. I had a 13. This 15 is miles better in every respect including looks! This is the best looking mustang I have ever owned out of the 5 I have had. Seriously, those that really think it is ugly probably also think Olive Oyl is one sexy babe.

Reactions: OracleHCR
#336 ·
This thread has outlived it`s usefulness. closed.gif2

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.