Tech Article #2 - Transmission Filter/Fluid change - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
BOSS Member
2.3L Member

(some manual transmissions use ATF, some use gear oil.

Their is no modern manual TRANNY or for that matter any T5 that uses Gear oil.

Their is a whole lot of Bad info on this post. And i think you should ignore most of it. Other than follow the manufacturers recommendation on intervils and Fluid type. Peace Tom

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!!

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride"

I SPEND MONEY I DON'T HAVE, TO BUILD CARS I DON'T NEED,TO IMPRESS PEOPLE I DON'T KNOW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BOSS Member
2.3L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Cornell View Post
Had a quick comment on the Manual Trans...
I heard over the weekend that you should change the ATF in the manual trans for Synthetic Motor Oil. A guy that owns many mustangs and has a parts yard, does this in all his T-5 transmissions, and says he is yet to mess up any bearings or syncro's(sp). I am going to do this, sometime this week and will post an update.

Who makes up this Garbage. So lets see the people that design the transmission does not know about synthetic motor oils and chooses to use ATF. Fascinating how people start these WIVES TALES. This post is dangerous and costly for some that do not know what they are doing. I would suggest having your tranny serviced by a professional other than people that are sketchy about it or believe these posts as gospel. I cant believe what i am reading here. I in my best day cant make this garbage up.

By the way modern trannys with out dip sticks have a set refill procedure and some need a scan tool to accomplish this. So i would suggest not to follow this post unless you are a professional. You just might be replacing you tranny that was working before you tried to service it. Peace Tom

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride"

I SPEND MONEY I DON'T HAVE, TO BUILD CARS I DON'T NEED,TO IMPRESS PEOPLE I DON'T KNOW.
BOSS Member
2.3L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old coot View Post
Thank You for the reply. I don't know why the car makers don't put a drain plug in the torque convertor, to simplifly things. Your way sounds good. Thanks, Jim

Because it interferes with the lock up clutches in the converter. And it throws the converter out of balance. Some trannys have drain plugs on the converters and they can be removed but you cant remove them to many times. You will strip them out quite easily. It is not a communist plot. That is why we have a tranny flushing machine. Anyone that drills and taps a converter is playing with fire. Peace Tom

Apprentice

Garage
So I have a 1989 ford mustang and after 8 years of not running and runs beautifully... Not going to question it

street leagal... bearly thats my goal.
Apprentice

Garage
But I don't have any transmission fluid so what ckind do I need it an automatic transmission

street leagal... bearly thats my goal.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member

Mercon V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page