Ford Mustang Forum banner

2018 Ford Mustang Getting Facelift, 10-Speed Automatic

29K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  sabx 
#1 ·

The 2018 Ford Mustang is expected to get a new front end and a 10-speed automatic transmission as part of its mid-cycle refresh.

Redesigned for the 2015 model year, the Ford Mustang has become a hot seller, as the new Chevrolet Camaro lags behind the competition with its later arrival. Demand for the sports car has grown overseas and Ford will add the Shelby GT350 and GT350R models to the lineup this summer.

Although it seems too early to talk about a mid-cycle refresh, it is being reported that the American automaker will give the Mustang a facelift for the 2018 model year, along with a new 10-speed automatic transmission. Rumor has it that Ford will also introduce a Mach 1 edition around the same time as the facelift. Expect the next-generation Mustang to be introduced in 2019 or 2020.

Other Ford models expected to be refreshed in the near future include the Ford Escape for 2017. Recent spy photos have revealed that the 2017 Ford Escape will have styling changes mimicking what’s found on the redesigned 2015 Edge. A full redesign on the Escape is not expected to come until 2019.

The Fiesta will also be redesigned in 2018, at which point production is expected to move from Mexico to Thailand. The Focus will also be redesigned in 2018 and production of that model will leave the U.S. for Mexico.

The company’s best-selling model after the F series is the Fusion, which will receive a minor facelift in 2016, giving it a more upscale appearance.
Read more about the 2018 Ford Mustang Getting Facelift, 10-Speed Automatic at AutoGuide.com.

See less See more
#2 ·
Three years is about the expected timeframe for a mid-cycle refresh. I'm very surprised that they'd wait three years to introduce a Mach 1 edition, unless they're planning on doing the GT350 in MY2016, GT500 in MY2017, and a Mach 1 in MY2018.

JR

#3 ·
They need to do a 2018 Bullitt since it will be 50 years since the movie. I'd buy the thing sight unseen.

Reactions: billyb196
#4 ·
Not sure if they would do another Bullitt, since they did one in 2003, I want to say without googling it. But then again, theyve done the Mach 1 again. if the price wasnt insane, Id get the next mach 1 (as long as it had a shaker hood)

#9 ·
The reason for a 10SPD is to try and keep the motor running at a near constant speed in order to hit CAFE and emissions standards.

I'll be mildly surprised if a standard transmission will even be offered.

#11 ·
Fusion which will receive a minor facelift in 2016, giving it a more upscale appearance. I guess they have not seen a 2016 Fusion as they are already out. They are no different then a 2015. I like the newer Fusion's. I just wish they would bring back a Sport model. We like our 2011 Fusion Sport and so far have not felt they have a good enough replacement. LOL of course I drive the Mustang GT. At this point maybe a Fusion Sport with the Mustang's 2.3L engine.

#14 ·
Fusion which will receive a minor facelift in 2016, giving it a more upscale appearance. I guess they have not seen a 2016 Fusion as they are already out. They are no different then a 2015. I like the newer Fusion's. I just wish they would bring back a Sport model. We like our 2011 Fusion Sport and so far have not felt they have a good enough replacement. LOL of course I drive the Mustang GT. At this point maybe a Fusion Sport with the Mustang's 2.3L engine.
There's a difference between calendar years and model years. While the model year 2016 Fusions come out in the calendar year 2015, the calendar year of 2016 will see an update to the Fusion for the model year of 2017.

JR

#13 ·
Why must they move further and further away from the 2005 Mustang body shape, that was perfectly retro, soon a Mustang will be a Mustang by name only, like the fugly 90's and early 2000's models.

Ford needs to do like Porsche and keep the changes evolutionary not revolutionary.

#15 ·
WoW! That thing is Beautiful!

#17 ·
As long as there are sporty rear wheel drive cars with internal combustion engines there will be manual transmissions. It might be more limited in where you can get it but the option is going to be there for a long time to come.

I would hope so, but you never know with the bean counters. Eg. Nowadays in the F- 150 no matter which version you get, including the Raptor, you cannot get a manual transmission even if you wanted to pay extra. :frown:

Reactions: 10grabber horse
#18 ·
I would hope so, but you never know with the bean counters. Eg. Nowadays in the F- 150 no matter which version you get, including the Raptor, you cannot get a manual transmission even if you wanted to pay extra. :frown:
Even though it disappoints me, from an economic sense I totally understand it disappearing in pickups. I used to own a 2000 Silverado 3/4 ton with a manual transmission and at the time I had read that something like 3% of Silverados came with manual transmissions that year and I imagine that number got smaller as the years went on. A few days ago I looked at the take rate report for 2011 Mustangs - same year as my car- and 60% of GT coupes came with manual transmissions. The percentages for V6 cars and GT convertibles were well under 50% but still a fairly significant portion of total sales.

#20 ·
This conversation also brings me to another point have you noticed how mini coopers are getting wider, heavier, and longer every new revision because of BMW. The R53 generation of Mini Cooper was the best, my friend had one, supercharged four cylinder engines are awesome because every 4 banger is moving towards turbo today and there is lag in turbo.

Soon a Mini Cooper will be a Mini by name only

Reactions: silver_stang200
#21 ·
The new Camaro SS (2016) allegedly does the quarter mile in 12.3 seconds with the automatic trans, and 12.0 seconds with the stick. So I would expect that Ford will be bumping power for the mid-cycle refresh to try and compete with this and not get blown away like they did 1967-2010.

#22 ·
oh yeah the Mustang sadly got its ass handed by the new Camaro SS, it goes from 0-60 in 4.0 seconds flat if you have the automatic and 4.3 for the standard.

not to mention my favorite thing about the new camaro ss is the power to weight ratio 8.1 lb/hp

#23 ·
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy we don't talk about things like that here. :x

Plus 95% of us guys here would never get our asses handed to us by a Camaro. The other 5% are guys that are still stock. The mod-bug will infect them sooner or later.

Reactions: Cem Sengul
#26 ·
First of all I do like the new look 10 speed not to sure of

second I had heard that the "C" word is on it's last leg of production(2016 being the last year)
So see "US" MUSTANG owners will still be on top! "WE" never had been discontinued like the "C" word /TA
or Re vamped like the Challenger/Charger.

WE have been around for 50+ years with out a sign of stopping and the Stampeed gets louder/stronger and faster with no signs of ever slowing down :grin:

#27 ·
First of all I do like the new look 10 speed not to sure of

second I had heard that the "C" word is on it's last leg of production(2016 being the last year)
So see "US" MUSTANG owners will still be on top! "WE" never had been discontinued like the "C" word /TA
or Re vamped like the Challenger/Charger.

WE have been around for 50+ years with out a sign of stopping and the Stampeed gets louder/stronger and faster with no signs of ever slowing down :grin:

#29 ·
I heard it when they compaired the new 2016 GT350/ the 2016 Z28 last month Google GT350 Vs Z28 its there and you can hear it for yourself

#31 ·
#34 ·
Blazin did you see the vid I posted??

#35 ·
The 2016 C, SS with the 455hp/450TQ V8 and 8 speed auto will do 0-60 in 4.0 seconds, not the 4.3 v6. It's also lighter than the stang now, so I don't see it going anywhere for a long time to come. Me thinks the battle is just getting started and in 2 or 3 years a lot of people will have traded for the new Iron to!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.