Mustang color - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

If you want to sell it after, orange will be a hard sell.
Stick to black, white, or silver. They always look the best anyways imo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostang9 View Post
If people didn't buy the black, silver, gray or white cars, manufacturers would stop making them.

Personally, I quite like the look of a black or dark gray car when clean and nicely waxed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMHO, the popularity of black, silver, grey and white is self perpetuating. Dealerships stock those colors so folks don't have a choice and buy them so dealers stock more. If there was more choices on the lot I think the popularity of black, grey, silver and white would drop.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskmustang View Post
If you want to sell it after, orange will be a hard sell.
Stick to black, white, or silver. They always look the best anyways imo.
I think the vast majority of people are looking for the best car at the best price when shopping used and color is secondary. I know I am that way. I always have a pickup as a spare vehicle, I hate black because it is so hard to keep looking nice but 3 out of the 5 used pickups I have bought have been black because they were the best available at the best price.

Also, if you look at Edmunds or KBB you will find the less common colors increase the value of a used car.

Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
IMHO, the popularity of black, silver, grey and white is self perpetuating. Dealerships stock those colors so folks don't have a choice and buy them so dealers stock more. If there was more choices on the lot I think the popularity of black, grey, silver and white would drop.

I watched our local and national listings of used Mustangs for 2 years before I bought my 2014 GT convertible in black. My first preference was the dark gray, with black being my second choice. When dark gray cars were listed, they often sold within a few days. Similar happened to black cars. Within the cars I wanted, most stayed available for very long. However, there were several yellow, blue and red cars that stayed available for months during the time I was searching. I paid special attention to prices and available features, and there were special cases where either a low-optioned or overly-priced vehicle sat for a long time (as would be expected), but my observation is based on all the cars where features and prices were similar or within the normal range.

The anecdotal evidence I saw does not support your theory.

My brother-in-law recently ordered a new Porsche Cayenne. It's not the type of vehicle usually bought from existing inventory, and at that price-point I would imagine customers are very discriminating and likely insist on getting exactly what they want. He quoted the statistics of how many cars of each color are generally ordered, and while I can't remember the exact numbers, I think it was around 60 or 70% black and another big % silver.

Apprentice

Garage
Also, keep in mind dealers are all about turning over as high a number of units as they can. They collect and use data to help them maximize revenue and minimize cost as any good business does. They do often have various colored vehicles in the lot, I guarantee if the non black/gray/silver/white sold more units or sold quicker, they would definitely order more of those. They know what customers want and that's why they order as they do.

Modern paint shops at auto plants are designed with many changeovers in mind, therefore, the OEM's are indifferent to how many vehicles are ordered of each color.

Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
I think the vast majority of people are looking for the best car at the best price when shopping used and color is secondary. I know I am that way. I always have a pickup as a spare vehicle, I hate black because it is so hard to keep looking nice but 3 out of the 5 used pickups I have bought have been black because they were the best available at the best price.

Also, if you look at Edmunds or KBB you will find the less common colors increase the value of a used car.

I absolutely agree with your point about black being the most difficult to keep clean, actually impossible while the pollen is flying. I have two black cars (Explorer Sport as my winter/DD and Mustang Convertible as my fun summer car) and I choose each. I had options and would automatically skip past all of the red/blue/green/white cars that came available. I only wanted dark gray or black (might have settled for silver) and so I'm the opposite of you.

I know people are different and that's cool. I have a neighbor who's a Ford exec and he gets 2 new Ford vehicles every 6 months. Since the S550 came out, he's ordered a red one each summer. He said the red is he and his wife's favorite color.

To each their own! (Or "chacun son gout")

Rookie
4.6L Member

Garage
My 04 Competition Orange GT Convert still draws a lot of Awwwwss on the road and at shows. After 14 years I still love the color and the car.
Apprentice

Garage
Talking

silver will show less wear and tear and swirl marks on the paint, but like everyone said its boring. Orange is very bright and you will be the center of attention every where you go, especially with the ladies, trust me on this one Plus in the future add some black rims, wrap the roof black, with a black spoiler and the car will look super sick! just my .02

Through Christ
Rookie

Garage
Love my Grabber Blue.

17' Mustang GT, row your own 6-speed, Grabber Blue

Last edited by GregS550; 2 Days Ago at 11:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page