Ford Mustang Forum banner

The Official Convertible Top care thread

119K views 90 replies 70 participants last post by  Logan541 
#1 ·
My 06gt brand new had some rain spots that would not come out. I used the ragg top dressing and now the top is a deep black and looks better then when i drove it off the lot. this stuff is great if any one cares.

#28 ·
Hi all...

Brand new here, just registered and just bought an '08 v6 premium pony. Had to store it until the weather breaks. My question is this. Does anyone know where i can purchase Raggtop cleaner and protectant in Canada?????

Hope to have a long and enjoyable experience here. Thanks in advance.

#31 ·
Put an 03-04 Cobra top on it. That's what I did. Very black, lol.

#34 ·
I want to clean my top and have used Blue Magic. This does not work at all. What else can I use to make the top really look good. Also where will I find the washer motor so I can replace it. Thanks for any help.
Tommy
2004 Mustang
the washer pump fits into the bottom of the washer fluid reservoir, i believe the fender needs to be removed.

#36 ·
#39 ·
hey everybody whats up? so i've been asking around and nobody has gotten me an answer to this question. i think this might be the thread that can finally help me. i have a 1995 gt. its got a black vinyl top and it is basically trashed from not taking care of it well enough. it is at the point where it needs to be replaced. so here's the laundry list of questions: who can replace it for me (upholstery shop etc..)? what should it cost in general for stock replacement? what cloth material is 2003 cobra top made of? how do i go about getting said 2003 cobra top on my 1995 and what would that run me? last one: would a cloth top require it to be a garage queen or can she live outdoors with proper maintenance?

#42 ·
Any suggestions on a Tan Top 99 Cobra? Read thru here and couldnt find anything. Will all these 303 products and raggtop work on tan top? Thanks again!

#43 ·
Both products will work fine on tan. They are both clear products to treat the top, not any type of colorant. If using RaggTopp, make sure you get the correct version depending on whether you have a vinyl or fabric top.

#45 · (Edited)
I was told by Ford not to use any cleaner on the cloth tops, nothing but water. I have a black cloth top on my 07 now, and it's as nice and black as it was the day I bought it new.

I've had 2 previous convertibles both with black vinyl tops that never got messed up by just using regular Meguiar car wash on them.

What kind of weather are you folks in that your tops are getting so dirty? :?:

#47 ·
I have a 2010 Roush 427 convertible. This is the first ragtop I have owned and want to keep the top in great condition. Any suggestions for a product to use? Some say just hose it down, others say some type of scotchguard product? Thanks for your help.

That's one bad ride you have there!

I'm assuming the top is cloth, since you mentioned scotchguard. Mine is black cloth and Ford recommends just using water on it. I've had mine 3 years and it doesn't fade or get dirty at all that plain cold water won't get out. Of course if there's the occassional bird bombing, be sure to clean it off with water right away.

I've heard it may be necessary to use soap every great once in a while, but like I said, I've had mine 3 years and it looks brand new.

Just be sure the top is completely dry before putting it down.

#48 ·
Thanks for responding :bigthumbsup So far, that's what I have been doing. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something to do since this is my first ragtop. Thanks for the car compliments. I like your ride as well. I hope to post a pic on here soon.

Thanks again - Dave

#49 ·
Thanks for responding :bigthumbsup So far, that's what I have been doing. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something to do since this is my first ragtop. Thanks for the car compliments. I like your ride as well. I hope to post a pic on here soon.

Thanks again - Dave
You're welcome, I wasn't quite sure what kind of Mustang that was! lol

I know what you mean - I wondered what to use on mine as well since the last 2 Mustangs I've owned had vinyl tops, and this is the first cloth one. As long as you keep it hosed off well, it'll stay like brand new.

I look forward to seeing more of your pictures! :bigthumbsup

#50 · (Edited)
OK, a couple of stoo-pid Newbie questions...

My 05 convertible mustang is my first ragtop and I am very pleased with it. The car is in very good shape and I want to keep it that way. Here are my questions:

1. This one is in the stoopid category. I have read several of the other posters refer to cloth and vinyl tops. How do I tell the difference? :soembarrassed

2. The 303 product. Is that a protector only or a cleaner and protector? Can I get it online? (found the answer to this one - page 2 of this thread)

3. What is an acceptable wash method? I use one of those wash bays with the wand. I take precaution when spraying at the window seals along the top. Will spray off the top. Should I be hand washing? I do know not to take to one of those long drive through washers.

#52 ·
Hello...

This is my first post here, but not new to Stangs. I've had several over the years and just acquired a 2007 v6, 5spd. std. trans as a retirement gift. I have been looking for the 6/std for quite a while and finally found one. My question is this...The black top looks like vinyl. It is not smooth but looks like a cloth knit. I am not sure how to tell if it is the vinyl or the cloth. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Glad to be aboard. Rich.

#53 ·
I just read the entire thread and I've seen that question asked a few times (with no answer).

Perhaps the best way to help differentiate cloth vs. vinyl tops will be to upload some pictures to the thread?

I'll respond with a few shots of my top soon. I'm pretty sure it's vinyl but it'd be nice to know for sure before ordering any products.

#54 ·
Question from a new 2012 convertible owner. I've seen Raggtop Vinyl cleaner recommended here, so I bought some of that along with the protectant. But I noticed that the Owner's Guide says this:

"For vinyl tops, wash with Motorcraft Detail Wash (ZC-3-A), which is available from your authorized dealer."

Is there any reason to use that instead of the Raggtopp cleaner? Usually I like to go with what's in the manual.

Thanks!

#56 ·
quick question (I figured this would be the best/most current thread to post in) I'm looking to replace the vinyl top on my 1990 lx. my question is if I get the glass rear window will my top still be collapsible at the flick of the switch, or would it require me to take the whole top off, etc
I spoke to someone on the phone at AmericanMuscle and he said it would still be able to collapse just as a plastic window would... which doesn't sound right to me so here I am asking you all
any help much appreciated.
here's the AmericanMuscle - link Mustang Replacement Convertible Top - Black (83-90) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
my plan was to get the glass rear window included in the purchase so it would match the top (color, size, pieces)

#59 ·
My 1990 Mustang GT has spent some time out in the elements (not my choice!) without much care, and the top is starting to split at the seams. I saw the AmericanMuscle replacement and was wondering if it was any good, and how easy it is to install. Also, what did you find out about using the the existing rear window?

#57 ·
No difference at all. My rear window is glass from the factory and works fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.