Ford Mustang Forum banner

The Official Convertible Top care thread

119K views 90 replies 70 participants last post by  Logan541 
#1 ·
My 06gt brand new had some rain spots that would not come out. I used the ragg top dressing and now the top is a deep black and looks better then when i drove it off the lot. this stuff is great if any one cares.

#58 ·
I have a 2004 Convertible and I have noticed in the last few weeks that the top is coming apart from the back glass window. I was wondering if this is a factory sealed product or if there is some kind of adhesive that I can use to re-attach the vinyl to the glass?

#60 ·
Rag top advise

I just had my top replaced. The old one was original '95.
I purchased a vinyl material, Saddle color.
The installer told me, after installing convertible tops on all kinds of cars for 40 years, what destroys tops is up-down-up-down-up-down UNNECESSARILY!
His advise was;
1.) Only raise/lower a vinyl top above 70 degrees. Vinyl will crack when it is cold! (Old tops are always torn on the back sides where the material folds are most severe)
2.) It is the UV rays from the sun that dries out the natural 'oils' in the vinyl, causing it to become brittle. Cleanliness has little to do with longevity of vinyl.
3.) Vinyl products are forever changing. Find one with a UV protectant! (Same reason you use sun screen to protect your skin.)
4.) Spend the extra money and buy a real SAIL-CLOTH material top.

#71 ·
I just had my top replaced. The old one was original '95.
I purchased a vinyl material, Saddle color.
The installer told me, after installing convertible tops on all kinds of cars for 40 years, what destroys tops is up-down-up-down-up-down UNNECESSARILY!
His advise was;
1.) Only raise/lower a vinyl top above 70 degrees. Vinyl will crack when it is cold! (Old tops are always torn on the back sides where the material folds are most severe)
That's great advice! I've owned four convertibles since the 1980s and no on ever told me that. Makes complete sense.

#62 ·
I have a black top and hubby sprayed it with Meguiar's ultimate protectant...looked brand new BUT after it rained i noticed that all the windows had a greasy film on them...no window cleaner would get rid of it, just smeared it...i ended up using dawn dish detergent which worked...well we just had another downpour and my clean windows are covered in this nasty film again...anyone else ever use this stuff ?

#67 ·
Sooo, can you buy the Raggtop products at auto parts stores or only online.

#76 ·
New to the world of Mustang Convertibles. My husband bought me one for my 60th birthday. 2014 GT Premium Convertible - V8 6 speed. I am also interested in keeping the top in great shape. This is a stupid question. Is a rag top the same as cloth vs vinyl. I know mine isn't vinyl. We washed it and used mild soap and water on the top. There appears to be a few lighter spots where someone may have put their hands by the doors. It didn't come out with the mild soap and water - any suggestions? We are in WI but it is a summer car only. Never sees snow or ice or salt. TIA

#78 ·
It sounds like you indeed have a fabric top. "Rag top" is a colloquialism. You can use 303 fabric guard on it, and get a shoe shine style brush (with natural bristles) to keep the nap looking good. You can use a light application of upholstery cleaner to get the hand print off. Hope this helps, and Happy motoring!

#77 ·
Just detailed a 92 convertible with a white vinyl top that is a replacement circa 2013. Never had been cleaned since it was installed. I had to go aggressive and used Bleche-White on it. Boy, that stuff whitened it up nicely! Followed with 303 protectant and it's like new. I use 303 cleaner and then 303 protectant on my own 05 convertible top.

Attachments

Reactions: kenv
#79 ·
I use Ragg Topp products on my `13 GT top.

Reactions: Edmund K
#81 ·
So sorry for the extremely late response; I haven't been receiving any notifications about posts on the forum! I bought my Ragg Top products at Amazon.com, and you can also get them from Autogeek.net.
You've probably found the stuff already, hope it helps, though!

#83 ·
Hi all

This is what works for me. 303 cleaner using a horse hair brush, Let it dry then spray on 303 protectant let it dry. Water will bead off.

Attachments

#88 ·
Okay I am late to the party but will share anyway....with the exception of Cobra's and anniversary edition, the tops are made from vinyl sailcloth (yes, what they make sails out of).

I clean normally when I wash and use a soft brush since the top is pebble finish unlike the body. But once dry I use one product. Griots vinyl and rubber dressing. I went with that after a demo by a friend who restores classic cars. He showed me a rubber gasket, dried, semi-cracked. Put it in griots overnight and the next day, you swore it was a new rubber gasket

So being vinyl, Griots is awesome BUT you also get to do the massive amount of rubber weather stripping. Keeps it supple, clean, and no wear. Just my two cents

By the way, this is what my 9 year old top looks like using Griots...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.