How much does a decent paint job cost? - Ford Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003 Thread Starter
2.3L Member
how much does a decent paint job cost?

just wondering how much it costs to get a decent paint job. Iv'e heard it's quite pricey.

1991 Mustang LX
2.3 L
Removed air intake silencer-- Custom exhaust w/ glasspack--K&N Filter--PVC Intake--pony rims (225/50/16 front, 245/50/16 back)--headlight covers
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
Send a message via AIM to 1998GT
A good paint job coule be up anywhere around 2k..

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003
they start at $3000, and go up
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003
2.3L Member
Send a message via AIM to stang2_3
I read in MM&FF that by doing a lot of the prep work yourself you can seriously reduce the price. If anyone remembers that article, please post the issue, otherwise I will have to look for it when i get home.

'91 LX 2.3L
Always looking to better it
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2003
It all depends on the area of the country and how good of a body shop you go to. It also depends on what type of paint. If you want to go strictly a factory match color, say 1 coat of primer, 3 coats of paint and a topcoat...probably around $2k.

Now, if you want some deluxe paint, such as the pearlized shades, the color change colors or the metal can probably estimate $2-$3k.

As was mentioned, you could cut your cost by doing the sanding and prepping (removing plaques, emblems, taping, etc). But, you'd have to know what you were doing while sanding, how far down and how smooth you'd have to take it. If you messed it up, the shop would probably charge you more to repair your mistakes.

Overall, if you have a nice car, it's worth saving up for the paint job and going to a reputable shop and getting it done right. The cheapo paint jobs end up bubbling, orange peeling and basically deteriorating after a couple years.

If it were a banger car, you could sand it down, tape it off and go get an Earl Scheib "I'll paint any car for $99.95" paint job...(boy i'm showing my age, hehe.)

If you're driving a mustang, don't let me catch you with a cheapo paint job!

A muscle car is built to be driven...not to be couped up.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2003
GT Member
V6 Member
Send a message via AIM to Dom
Glad I know a guy who paints cars. $1500 any way I want it and then $2500 for candy apple.

- Matthew

1998 Ford Mustang V6 Atlantic Blue
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2003
GT Member
Classic Member
MAACO $250.. hahaha

When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003
I paint cars(along with much more) but I would seriously not suggest doing any body work yourself. Yes, it would reduce the cost, but unless you're a pro, you might end up messing it up. If you wanna help the price a little, tell them you'll strip the old paint off and make the car bare, but I wouldn't suggest doing any bodywork unless you've been down that road a few times before. Doing the bodywork would lower the price but it might lower the look too. Especially if you're going with a dark color, then you can really see the blemishes. For bodywork and painting, you might be lookin at around $3000 plus materials. Which in materials, you may be looking at another 1k. But if your body is straight and nothing is wrong with it, you might be looking at less.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003
if the body is good and and dont need alot of body work ill do it for 1,200 if you buy the paint
5.0L Member
I have an 88 GT that I want to paint all black or midnight blue. It was originally black/gray, and has been previoulsy repainted. The body needs to be straightened a little and tightened up some on the front fenders. Does anybody have an estimate of how much this could be. If this is redunant I apologize. I just dont want to get screwed at the painter since I am in college and don't have much money. thanks.

88 Mustang Gt
Tremec 3550
Iskendarian camshaft 265/275
Ford Aluminium three core radiator
Vat & Magnaflux block and heads, bore surface and hone block .30 over
grind crankshaft, recondition rods, install new valve guides, valve job
pcv valve grommet, bosch ignition wires, Intake and exhause valves.
Ford 302 engine kit: Pistons,rings,rod & main bearings,cam bearings,fel pro gasket set,3 piece timing set,oil pump and freez plugs,valve springs intake and exhaust
Like I said, about $3-4000 plus materials. I've seen some people that feel their labor is worth more though.
Just throwing the werd to be careful. A buddy of mine paid some guy half the money to paint his fox, and the guy stripped the car to metal, disassembled some interior parts, and then left it in the rain! Talk about surface rust eh...Then the guy split town ripping off around 8 people. Just saying to take it to a credible place ya know. I dont know about you guys but where Im from there are a lot of hole in the wall paint shops that offer great prices, but beware...

01 GT
4.6L Member
So does Macco do a good job with 250 , I think its a respectable place. Also from the comercials you would think they do a good job.

Anything American is Better
Rice includes chicken
02 Silver GT -Magnapacks from Magnaflow-watch the blast zone buddy.
NO they do not. This is a real fact, my boss once worked for Maaco. They give them 2 sheets of sandpaper and once they're done with that, they shoot the car. I'm dead serious.
V6 Member
Send a message via AIM to ryanmetz
i have a friend that will do it for $1000 plus paint, but he will supply all the tape and sand a crap, but he said for cheaper if i help him, he does real good work too, im thinking in the spring if i keep my car.

1998 V6 Mustang
Clear Corners - Cobra Clear Headlights - Tinted Windows - Radar Detector - White Grill - K&N Air Filter
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page