Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums > Show & Shine

Welcome to our Mustang forums where Mustangers come together to hang out, discuss and enjoy their favorite Mustang hobby with fellow Mustang enthusiasts. We invite everyone to read, post, and enjoy our Mustang forum as well as the many other sections of our site.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest. By joining our community you gain access to post topics, communicate with members, upload your photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free so why wait, join our Mustang community today! If you have any problems with registration or your account login, please contact support.

Lounge | Mustang Tech | Power Adders | Drag Racing | Road Racing | Audio & Alarms | Show & Shine | Tech 

Reply   Post New Thread
Unread 02-02-2011   #1 (permalink)
metfan34 is offline Apprentice

metfan34's Country Flag
East Coast   Florida
metfan34 is on a distinguished road
Default What do you use to clean your Mustang with?

Just bought a new GT yesterday and it is not as clean as I would like it. There seems to be deep down dirt in paint and it needs a good scrubbin'.

What do you guys use to clean (type of soaps etc...) your cars? Any suggestions? thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2011   #2 (permalink)
diver88 is offline PONY Member

diver88's Country Flag  View diver88's 10 photos
Where The West Begins   Texas
diver88 is on a distinguished road

whats the build date, how long did it sit on the lot?

mine was on the lot several months and the paint felt almost rough..
after reading about iron rail dust I decided to clay bar my entire car.
very easy, took about an hour and the paint now is super smooth and slick. I put a coat of wax on afterward to protect it.

follow the directions and you'll be suprised at the results.

Mods, Factory Engine Cover, Ford Strut Tower Brace, 19" Painted Aluminum Wheels/245-45-19 P-Zeros, Wheel Locks, Ford Accessory Alarm, Ford All-Weather Mats, window tint, spare tire/jack, cam cap mod.
on deck... Polk Audio db571 X 4 speakers & baffles
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Unread 02-02-2011   #3 (permalink)
BrooklynDriver is offline PONY Member

BrooklynDriver's Country Flag
Brooklyn   New York
BrooklynDriver is on a distinguished road

I normally just let the rain clean it. If it gets particularly dirty I'll take it to a standard mechanical carwash, maybe once or twice a year.

ON ORDER: 2015 GT Premium Automatic, Deep Impact Blue, Shaker Audio, 50th Anniversary Appearance Package, Navigation
Unread 02-02-2011   #4 (permalink)
FISHTAIL is offline Made Member

FISHTAIL's Country Flag  View FISHTAIL's 16 photos
La Plata   Maryland
FISHTAIL is on a distinguished road

I'm probably in the minority, but after I got mine home I took a claybar to it to make sure the paint was clean, then hit it with the PC to remove ALL swirl marks. Then I put a sealant and wax on it. Looked awesome for about a day, then I drove it in the rain. lol.

I'll probably keep that routine up every couple of months for as long as I own it. Makes for a good excuse to spend Saturday afternoon outside, or at least out in the garage.

When washing I always use some kind of car specific soap, and a microfiber sponge. This time of year I will drive it through a touchless car wash every week or so.
Unread 02-02-2011   #5 (permalink)
Givantsbluebaby is offline GT Member

V6 Member
S197 Member

Givantsbluebaby's Country Flag  View Givantsbluebaby's 16 photos
Hacienda heights   California
Givantsbluebaby is on a distinguished road

meguiars clay bar system is the way to go... a lot of elbow grease, but man, silky smooth after
Unread 02-02-2011   #6 (permalink)
Heinz57 is offline Apprentice

Heinz57's Country Flag
New England   Connecticut
Heinz57 is on a distinguished road
Default Pinnacle

I use Pinnacle products. I purchased these products from AutoGeek.com Automotive Super Site.

I use the Foam Cannon hooked up to my pressure washer. It looks like you covered the whole car in shaving cream. It really minimizes the amount of time spent washing, its fun, and minimizes the amount of time you scrub your car minimizing swirl marks. I then use the two bucket method to wash the car. I dry the car using micro fiber towels. I apply the non abrasive Pinnacle polish & remove residue with microfiber towels. I then apply Pinnacle sovereign paste wax & remove residue with microfiber towel. I also used the Pinnacle clay bar kit after i purchased the car so cleaning and polishing is much faster. I use the pinnacle wheel and tire cleaning kit to clean the wheels.
These products will provide you a Show Car quality finish. They are not cheap.
Unread 02-02-2011   #7 (permalink)
EagleAutosports is offline SHELBY GT-40 ULTIMATE Member

4.6L Member
5.0L Member

EagleAutosports's Country Flag  View EagleAutosports's 548 photos  View EagleAutosports's 3 classified ads  View EagleAutosports's HomePage
Graham   North Carolina
EagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud ofEagleAutosports has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to EagleAutosports Send a message via Yahoo to EagleAutosports

Use a dedicated car wash soap, do NOT use Dawn or other dish soap. It'll strip every layer of wax and expose the paint to the elements, not to mention leave it hazy and swirled. It's too harsh for the automotive paint.
Member: Mustang Club of America #82740, White Mustang Registry #362, NMRA, Fun Ford Weekend, Mustangs of Burlington

MOOG Certified Technician
For mods and sound clips, see profile and gallery.

Unread 02-02-2011   #8 (permalink)
Dacam is offline Apprentice

Dacam's Country Flag
Las Vegas   Nevada
Dacam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynDriver View Post
I normally just let the rain clean it. If it gets particularly dirty I'll take it to a standard mechanical carwash, maybe once or twice a year.
Why do you even bother posting useless information! If you don't have any helpful information don't post.
2011 Mustang GT 5.0: Performance White: Brembos: 3.73: 6sp: GT/CS front fascia: Boss 302 splitter: Roush billet grill: Steeda Ultralites: Tokiko D-spec : GT500 strut mounts: UMI adj.panbar: Steeda Billet LCA: Hurst Billet Plus Shifter: Airaid CAI: SCT Tuner w/Bama custom tune: Roush axle back:
Unread 02-02-2011   #9 (permalink)
Gashog is offline Made Member

S197 Member

Gashog's Country Flag  View Gashog's 18 photos
Fresno   California
Gashog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacam View Post
Why do you even bother posting useless information! If you don't have any helpful information don't post.

Seriously.

Like mentioned earlier, use a soap designed for cars. Meguiars is good stuff, i have been using their gold wash forever. Use a soft mit they are cheap at the auto parts store, and some microfiber towels you will get the results you want.

Throw a coat of wax on every few washes and it'll look great.
Unread 02-03-2011   #10 (permalink)
brycerichert is offline GT Member

brycerichert's Country Flag
Newcastle   Washington
brycerichert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacam View Post
oh.. the irony!

Seriously though... Griot's Garage products have been good to this stable.
Track Rat #1 - VF supercharged e46 bimmer
Track Rat #2 - Kona 5.0 Premium | 3.73 MT82 | 400A | glass roof | saddle int. | Brembo Pkg | Com. & Sec. Pkg | camera | HID | Nav | no stripes | MM camberplates | Bilstein springs & Eibach dampers | Stock 368 RWHP @ 6700 / 354 TQ @ 4375 - Build Date 6-17-10
Sunny Day: Kawasaki 1600 with hypercharger and tune.
Unread 02-03-2011   #11 (permalink)
newfiveoh is offline Apprentice

newfiveoh's Country Flag
Houston   Texas
newfiveoh is on a distinguished road

Adam's Polishes

110% money back guarantee. Watch the videos on the site.
Unread 02-03-2011   #12 (permalink)
mrsandman is offline PONY Member

mrsandman's Country Flag
Saint Louis   Missouri
mrsandman is on a distinguished road

Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detail Supplies : CHEMICAL GUYS WHOLESALE AUTO DETAILING SUPPLIES CAR WASH PRODUCTS PROFESSIONAL CAR DETAIL SUPPLY FACTORY DIRECT

Get the professional stuff.. cheap.

NEVER take it through a car wash that has brushes.. ever..

If you have to go through a car wash.. make sure it only uses water jets. Afterwards, spray it with a liberal amount of detail spray and wipe it off with a clean microfiber towel.

You should have a good "cleaner" wax on hand for once or twice a year.. and a non-abrasive wax for whenever you want the car to look good.

Once a year, I strip the wax off.. they apply a sealant, few coats of glaze, and a few coats of high-end wax. I have a nice liquid wax (butter wax) that I apply probably 1-2 times a month.. its really easy to put on and take off.

Even with my black daily driver 07, I never had to touch it with a buffer.. everything by hand and no swirl marks.

If it's not microfiber and slightly dampened with detail spray... it doesn't touch my paint.
Unread 02-03-2011   #13 (permalink)
Baru-643 is offline Made Member

V6 Member

Baru-643's Country Flag
Charleston   South Carolina
Baru-643 is on a distinguished road

I use Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash and Quick Detailer after I dry it with a Shamee. I have put one coat of the Collinite 845 Insulator Wax so far and will hit it again once the weather warms up a bit.

I have never tried the Clay Bar before but after seeing some many others suggest it I may give it a try. The Kona Blue looks sweet when clean but does get dirtier quicker than I thought it would, still love the car though. :smoke:

Ordered (7-12-2010), Brought Home (9-14-2010): V-6 Kona Blue, Pony Pkg 202A, Stone Leather, 6-Speed Manual Trans MT82, White Tape, Comfort Pkg, Rear Video Cam.

Mods: Grabber Pony Shift Knob (Kona Blue), Clear Bra - 3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film,
Window Tint - Llumar ATC, White Hood Spears - Graphic Express Stripes & Decals
Unread 02-03-2011   #14 (permalink)
Flylowradr is offline Apprentice

5.0L Member

Flylowradr's Country Flag
Miesau
Flylowradr is on a distinguished road

Ill 2nd that Adam's Polishes are flat out amazing. spendy...but amazing
Unread 02-03-2011   #15 (permalink)
metfan34 is offline Apprentice

metfan34's Country Flag
East Coast   Florida
metfan34 is on a distinguished road

Clay bar huh? never heard of it. My car did sit on the lot for a few months and does feel gritty even after washing. Claybar sounds harch though. What exactly does the claybar do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply   Post New Thread

Mustang Photos
Mustang Links    Top Sites    RSS    Link To Us    Add to Favorites    Archive    Terms of Use    Site Rules    Privacy    Contact    Sponsors    Advertise   
AllFordMustangs is not affiliated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company. ©Copyright 2002-2011 All Auto Enthusiasts Network

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164