How do you wash your Mustang? - Page 19 - Ford Mustang Forum

View Poll Results: How do you wash your Mustang?
By hand - Always 519 67.49%
By hand - when I have time 145 18.86%
By hand - when I'm in the mood 57 7.41%
Automatic car wash - Always 48 6.24%
Voters: 769. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

I'll never let an automatic car wash ever come close to my car. Washing my own car is like therapy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

^ Exactly how I feel

Rookie
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
by hand and using the 2 bucket method

THANK THE LORD FOR THE SMALL AND BIG BLOCK FORD/LORD MR.FORD/FoMoCo
1994 FORD MUSTANG GT 5.0 WINDSOR/ 5 SPEED
1998 FORD MUSTANG GT 4.6 WINDSOR/5 SPEED

BOSS Member

Hand wash or no wash.

Black 2014 GT Premium BBP 6R80
Apprentice

Hand wash as well, even that my paint work is not as critical as others here. I don't say that I'm no taking care of it because I am, but it has some scratches here and there.
I use a bucket with water and soap that already has wax in it. Then I use a microfiber towel to clean/rinse and a old t-shirt to dry it.

Josep

1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - AT TE - 6R07T213966 - San Jose built June 11th 1966
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn built September 9th 1965
MACH I Member

With Fiji water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I have a triple black fox Mustang and have to be very careful so I can minimize swirls etc. I use the two bucket method and prior to that I use a foam wash gun.

two bucket wash method:

How To: Wash Your Car Using The Two Bucket Method.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Hand wash with Zano soap then Collinite wax

AFR165cc heads, Scorpion 1.6 roller rockers, BBK 70mm Throttle/EGR, BBK X-Pipe, BBK C.A.I., C&L 76mm Mass Air Housing,RAM HDX Clutch, Knock off Edlebrock upper/lower intake, 3.31 Ford Racing gears, Smog delete, Spintech Sportsman, 2.5in Flowmaster
Rookie

Garage
Currently working on swirl removal on my '06 GT I bought last summer. I came across using ONR via the Gary Dean method with pretty good success. The Rag Company has some awesome towels for us to use on our beasts of burden too. Once I get through the whole car, I plan on doing an ONR wash every week or so followed up with whatever spray wax I have - currently Optimum spray wax.
Rookie

Garage
I park the car in the shade of a tree. I wait for the surface of the car to cool. I only use water, no soap. I use a pistol grip nozzle on the end of a garden hose. The maximum pressure from my well pump is 60 psi. I wet the entire car down. With the car completely wet, I use a small soaked 100% cotton towel with very little force to loosen the dirt and bugs with one hand, and spray the areas with garden hose in the other hand. When I'm done with the wash, I use an electric leaf blower to dry the car. Small amounts of left over water can be removed with a dry 100% cotton towel. I have never washed a car in a car wash. Washing my own cars by hand since January 1978.

Between washes I use a California duster to keep the car clean.

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig1957 View Post
I park the car in the shade of a tree. I wait for the surface of the car to cool. I only use water, no soap. I use a pistol grip nozzle on the end of a garden hose. The maximum pressure from my well pump is 60 psi. I wet the entire car down. With the car completely wet, I use a small soaked 100% cotton towel with very little force to loosen the dirt and bugs with one hand, and spray the areas with garden hose in the other hand. When I'm done with the wash, I use an electric leaf blower to dry the car. Small amounts of left over water can be removed with a dry 100% cotton towel. I have never washed a car in a car wash. Washing my own cars by hand since January 1978.

Between washes I use a California duster to keep the car clean.
That's going to put a lot of micro-scratches in your paint. If, by 100% cotton you mean terry cloth, that'll ruin the paint. Also, by blasting high pressure water on a dirty car you're only forcing the dirt into the paint. In turn, you'll end up clay barring your car more often to get it out, reducing the thickness of the clear coat more over time.

Us only microfiber on the car and a very gentle spray and washing motion (straight back and forth... no circles, if anyone needs to know). Only enough pressure to remove the dirt. No more. I'd hate to see you mess up your beautiful white Mustang.
Rookie

I wear glasses and found out a long time ago to just wear them dirty until I can clean them the correct way, meaning, flood them with water an use lots of specific cleaner. Always by hand using the softest cloth possible, or you'll scratch them. Very annoying, those scratches.
Rookie
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharliesGT View Post
I wear glasses and found out a long time ago to just wear them dirty until I can clean them the correct way, meaning, flood them with water an use lots of specific cleaner. Always by hand using the softest cloth possible, or you'll scratch them. Very annoying, those scratches.
I've had lenses with the Teflon coating on them for years. I walk up to the kitchen sink, turn on the hot water, put the lenses under the running water to get them wet. Get a squirt of dish soap, rub it all over both sides of the lenses and then rinse it off with the hopefully by now hot water. Grab a paper towel and dry the lenses and pitch the paper towel into the trash.

Best glasses cleaning procedure I have ever found.
Rookie

Garage
I agree with Kraig1957 EXCEPT I use microfiber towels to dry up any water drips from the mirrors, door handles etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page