How do you wash your Mustang? - Ford Mustang Forum

View Poll Results: How do you wash your Mustang?
By hand - Always 519 67.49%
By hand - when I have time 145 18.86%
By hand - when I'm in the mood 57 7.41%
Automatic car wash - Always 48 6.24%
Voters: 769. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 284 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011 Thread Starter
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

How do you wash your Mustang?

Choose from Poll

2011 Mustang 3.7L V6 Premium ∙ MCA (203A)
Ingot Silver ∙ Charcoal Black ∙ Auto
HIDs ∙ Security ∙ Comfort Package ∙ Remote Start
Koni STR.T shocks/struts ∙ Roush DUB springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

What kills me is there is a hand wash car wash in my area....except they use those broom looking brushes to pre-scrub the car before it goes in for the hand wash. Almost defeats the purpose IMO.

Performance White 2011 GT Premium, Brembos, 3.73 gears
Hushpower axlebacks, FRPP P springs, Barton shifter bracket, Barton white shift knob, CHE lower control arms, CHE adjustable panhard bar.
MACH I Member

Now I will be doing it always by hand, but when I didn't have a garage it was by hand - weather permitting LOL. Good 'ol North Dakota for you. The nice thing about below 0 temps is that once you get it clean, it stays clean for most of the winter.

2012 Black 3.7L
=Performance Package

PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

By hand mostly.

Touchless automatic car wash when I need a touch up.

Hand washing is always the best!

Never argue with an idiot........They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grok View Post
By hand mostly.

Touchless automatic car wash when I need a touch up.

Hand washing is always the best!

Hands down, hand washing is the best. no exceptions
RED06GTCONV likes this.
PONY Member
4.6L Member

By hand for me always. Black paint is hard to maintain and especially now that it is getting hotter. Always have to watch out for water spots, but when its clean it looks great
RED06GTCONV likes this.

1996 Mustang GT (Sold to my brother to keep it in the Family)
2004 Mustang Mach 1
GT Member

Hand wash. Atuo wash is a waste of money if you live in a warmer climate IMO. I do a better job and save the money. Plus, I get her looking perfect every time!!!
RED06GTCONV likes this.

2014 Mustang GT/CS - Coupe
Sterling Gray
Manual Trans
Glass Roof
Navigation
Comfort
GT Member

a foam gun as step seems to work for a lot of people and for those who want to avoid the swirlies. i will try mine out next week.

2012 V6 Auto / MPT Performance-Street Tune (5.0 Killa)

MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Hand washing has the draw back of direct friction of rag to paint rubbing away/buffing away the clear coat and grounding ANY debris on the car itself (or the microfiber) INTO the paint causing micro scratches (i dont care WHAT kind of cloth you use).

Spray washing can remove some of the clear coat and or have gritty/recycled detergents which can do the same as above.

There is no right answer, they both suck but both are necessary. Pick your poison.

I wash every week, rotating between spray, auto, and hand. I get the dead bugs off the front end and side mirrors every 24 to 48 hours, i put the spray on wax on the front every week and the whole car every two weeks.

There really are no "perfect ways" to handle paint maintance.
RED06GTCONV and 2VELOCE like this.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
PONY Member

Always hand wash. That way I can make sure any bug residue or other gunk is cleaned off, as well as all the dirt. Don't want to take chances car wash could scratch surface, and they never get it totally clean.
RED06GTCONV likes this.

2011 GT Premium 6M convertible. Sterling Gray w/401A package, charcoal seats w/grabber blue stripe. Security package. Roush front fascia, splitter and rear wing. Black bullit wheels with 18x9 front, 18x10 rear. FRPP suspension. FRPP x-pipe. Roush axle-back exhaust w/square tips. JLT carbon fiber CAI with custom tune. Carbon fiber engine cover & coil pack covers.
SVS
Apprentice

Washing the car is also an opportunity to inspect the PAINT. Do it yerself at least twice a month. Ideally once a week.

And a car as beautiful as this is a joy to wash. Make sure you also remove brake dust form the RIMS...

One of the easiest ways to demonstrate you are an automotive enthusiest and seperate yourself from the general automobile public is to never allow Brake Dust build up....It detracts from the total package...

See that--She really cares.
RED06GTCONV and 2VELOCE like this.

-----------------------------------------------
Gas in Tank, Key in Ignition, Foot to the Floor--
Thank you FORD!!!!!
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryk View Post
Always hand wash. That way I can make sure any bug residue or other gunk is cleaned off, as well as all the dirt. Don't want to take chances car wash could scratch surface, and they never get it totally clean.
Having worked as a detailed for many years, I say NOTHING beats the hand wash. With the right supplies, some patience and a little know how - you car an stay looking great for a long time!
To expand on this topic, how about waxing? Do you do it yourself, and if so, what kind of wax do you prefer? I have recently found a new wax by TurtleWax. It is a Synthetic wax that leaves no white residue, and looks AMAZING! Defiantly recommend it.
RED06GTCONV likes this.

**Update** Car is built, ETA for delivery to dealer May 22
Ordered April 6, 2011, 2012 5.0L, 6 Speed, 3:55, Lava Red, Satin Black Stripe, HID Headlamps with security package, GT Package #5. (Hood scoop, Pedistal Spoiler, Side Scoops, Rear Winow Louvers, Deck Panel)
PONY Member

I polish mine with the supple skin of newborn babies
SHELBY GT 350 Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Hand wash or touchless carwash depending of the time I have...
RED06GTCONV likes this.

2011 Ford Mustang V8 5.0 GT/CS Black Coupe MT - (Mods in my profile, too many to list here...)
"Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today": In Memory of a great guy: Pcfrisch.
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifftech View Post
I polish mine with the supple skin of newborn babies
Do we need to hide our children or do you just use poor inner city children. I suppose you feed the rest to the rich...solving both the food shortages and the problem of too many illegitmate chldren on government assstance programs.

Never thought about using their skin to wash my car with .

Johnathon Swift would be proud of you.

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page